Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This feels like a Mou's boy signing. I've defended Dier because he can do a job and as a squad player he's fine, but he's not been able to repeat his workmanlike performances from 15/16 at DM and 16/17 at RCB in a few years. He's not a starting CB in a back pair and he doesn't want to play DM. Granted, a lot of this is due to injury and illness, but he's not the type of player Spurs should be concerned with locking up long term.

That being said, just because he signed a contract doesn't mean he can't move on next summer.

Fair.

Yeah - I don't particularly rate Chilwell either.

But it's a position they need and they've gone and strengthened.

Ffs man, they don’t even play in the same position. You’re just chatting pure waffle.

Not one of the youth players Poch was “awful” to has gone on to even hint that they could be a top player. Not one. The notion that we had a plethora of top quality players coming though our academy that he failed to give opportunities to is complete and utter hogswash.

They didn't have to be top quality to compete (and save us a ton of money) with the likes of Sissoko, Aurier, Nkoudou, Njie, Moura, Foyth, Sanchez, Bergwijn did they ? Surely that's the point. Use the academy to fill the squad roles for free (money and HG) and use the money to buy better quality players, not ones that are barely better than the academy ones you have already for free.

And players like Onomah, KWP had their development ruined by Pochettino - they missed out on playing proper football for 3 years and a crucial stage. This kids might not ultimately be good enough for a top 4 team, but neither are the likes of Sissoko, Aurier, Moura etc, that's we aren't a top 4 team anymore.

They didn't have to be top quality to compete (and save us a ton of money) with the likes of Sissoko, Aurier, Nkoudou, Njie, Moura, Foyth, Sanchez, Bergwijn did they ? Surely that's the point. Use the academy to fill the squad roles for free (money and HG) and use the money to buy better quality players, not ones that are barely better than the academy ones you have already for free.

And players like Onomah, KWP had their development ruined by Pochettino - they missed out on playing proper football for 3 years and a crucial stage. This kids might not ultimately be good enough for a top 4 team, but neither are the likes of Sissoko, Aurier, Moura etc, that's we aren't a top 4 team anymore.
Well said. And they cost nothing in wages.

If we give him an extension with anything over than a view to getting more money for him this summer, I will be disgusted.
Precisely , tbh they'll probably say they don't have money to spend because of wages lol
Ziyech, Werner and Chilwell is a pretty good window for Chelsea to be honest.
I feel like we need to view this differently
They sold Hazard + Morata so they have nearly £150m sitting in their bank
Ziyech + Werner + Chilwell will cost that much.
I'm annoyed about it and Spurs need to make moves for sure but a bit of perspective is needed.
The only difference is , there spending wisely. When we sold Bale and bought in the 7 players , only Eriksen was a good investment...

Precisely , tbh they'll probably say they don't have money to spend because of wages lol

I'm annoyed about it and Spurs need to make moves for sure but a bit of perspective is needed.
The only difference is , there spending wisely. When we sold Bale and bought in the 7 players , only Eriksen was a good investment...
:lamelashock::lamelashock::lamelashock:

:lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh::lamelaaghh:

To be fair, we have no idea if these players will be good for Chelsea or not. Most signings "make sense" right out of the gate, generally about 50% will flop though.

Spot on.

The "They haven't proved to be anything since leaving" argument is such a shit one - the reason they haven't proved anything is because a crucial stage of their development was absolutely ruined by Pochettino.

Edwards is one of the ones who's talent is so good that he is proving it - then again, his development wasn't ruined as much as KWP, Onomahs etc. because he was still getting U23 football, iirc.

Oh Yeah on Ben Chilwell
Personally think he's a bit overrated I actually thought Danny Rose at LB for England was more impressive than Chilwell. Decent but nothing special. He's probably a £30m player but if Chelsea want to pay £80m they can go ahead..

Haven't heard the fee, but I really like Ben. Streets ahead of our Ben. I know he isn't scoring or assisting a lot, but I really like his composure and he is getting up and down that flank.
I don't know what kind of money is being suggested at the moment, but before this shit blew up, he was described as a £50m player. Seems like a decent defender to me, with a very good engine, but in terms of his passing ability and his attacking threat, I haven't seen anything to get me off my seat. Gut feeling is that it's the usual daft hype because he is HG.

That is a good window shows intent, no freebies for them or loan deals.
:levylol: :levyeyes:
Making up for lost time from the ban. Compare their 2020 window to our 2019 window and it's similar in terms of outlay.

We also for Bergwjin in January who I feel is a really great young player that has shown promise.

None of this takes away from an obviously good window from Chelsea.

I don't know what kind of money is being suggested at the moment, but before this shit blew up, he was described as a £50m player. Seems like a decent defender to me, with a very good engine, but in terms of his passing ability and his attacking threat, I haven't seen anything to get me off my seat. Gut feeling is that it's the usual daft hype because he is HG.

50 would be too much, and no doubt the HG part does count in my judgement. He's stil young and I like that he never seems to get stressed

Back
Top Bottom