Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would honestly rather buy some kids with a high potential for some quality upside (from anywhere, the UK or abroad) and put up with a year or two of transition while they bed in, than buy bang ordinary meh footballers for "now".

This is where we went wrong. Most of the experienced "now" players we can afford, are affordable for a reason. They usually ain't great - and what's worse, they have reached their potential and there's fuck all left to squeeze out of them. Yes, there's the very odd exception, but not many. Alderweireld we basically boosted Southampton's buy out. Wanyama was another rare one.

What we really, really don't need now is to buy more very compromised footballers for "now" - it's why we've become so compromised as a team.
No way we will do a 2-year "transition" ... Apart from the fact it is not necessary since we are not that far from getting back to being a top 4 side, we can say goodbye to Kane, Son and others if we try that.

Fuck a low budget. Buy this man. People see his highlight rocket goals and think he isn't a DM. He is used as a DM for Wolves and does a damn good job. He's also a much better facilitator than the likes of Winks. Letting him sit back a little deeper with Ndombele and Lo Celso in front of him and we'd have the best midfield in the league.

Yesterday was deceiving because West Ham just let him have time and space. Good player though.

No way we will do a 2-year "transition" ... Apart from the fact it is not necessary since we are not that far from getting back to being a top 4 side, we can say goodbye to Kane, Son and others if we try that.

I disagree, I think we are miles away from being a shoe-in top 4 side again.

We need a manager, most of a defence, a DM, a couple of AM's who have brains and can trap a ball.

I think we are in for a painful 3/4 years, especially if the most imaginative our recruitment gets is people like Hojbjerg.

I disagree, I think we are miles away from being a shoe-in top 4 side again.

We need a manager, most of a defence, a DM, a couple of AM's who have brains and can trap a ball.

I think we are in for a painful 3/4 years, especially if the most imaginative our recruitment gets is people like Hojbjerg.
You don’t believe Gio and Ndombele have the potential to be those AM’s?

He was brilliant yesterday. One particular moment where he ran back at speed towards the right hand touchline on the halfway line, launched himself at the west Spam player, cleanly won the ball, jumped up and then without thinking pinged a forward pass of about 50 yards to the left edge of the penalty area which landed at the feet of a teammate. Wonderful to watch

He is a Mendes client and Mendes manages Jose iirc. I said earlier that we will have to sell Ndombele to raise cash in order to finance a move for someone like Neves but I think it would be the right decision because Neves is more of a Jose player. If Levy for once really wants to back a manager then this would be an opportunity to demonstrate it. However according to reports it seems Levy has told Jose that Ndombele will not be sold under any circumstances

I doubt if any club would offer anything like what we paid for Ndombele - usual suspects like Barca and Madrid are not flush with money.

And Mendes or not Wolves are in no hurry to sell Neves, so would demand top dollar for him.

So I cant see Neves being affordable for most clubs except the usual suspects of Chelsea and Mancity.

I think our best hope is for Ndombele to come good - if not we've wasted what 80% of PL clubs will spend over several years.

I'd much rather they were the L8 and R8 in the CM3 of a 433. If we could find a decent 6 to sit between them, and play that 433, I might allow myself to dream again, but I have absolutely zero faith in this manager to put that together.
I agree with them being 8s but am still confused.

So when you said we need some decent AM’s that know how to trap the ball you were referring to the Wide fowards in a 433?

I like both sonny and Bergwijn for those roles. I only see fullback and DM as our absolute must buys this summer. Followed by a centre back and keeper the following summer.

I don’t think we are as far away from top 4 as you do, especially when you consider the potential of our front 5.

So when you said we need some decent AM’s that know how to trap the ball you were referring to the Wide fowards in a 433?

I like both sonny and Bergwijn for those roles. I only see fullback and DM as our absolute must buys this summer. Followed by a centre back and keeper the following summer.

I don’t think we are as far away from top 4 as you do, especially when you consider the potential of our front 5.
If Toby is done we could do with a real stud centre back who can organize things back there.

I don't overly rate Bergwijn tbh. I know he's scored a couple of goals since he arrived, but I don't think he's done a lot else, and I think he's very limited and there's not much potential there to be improved upon.

I think Son is 1 in 5 type of player. Wonderful occasionally, but like a fart in trance a big chunk of the time and as we saw Friday, there are so many games where he can't even just get the ball under control or make the simplest of passes. He's a score of great goals, but not a great scorer, only one season in his entire career has he got over 12 goals (14), and he has only once got over 6 assist, and without the ball he's flimsy.

And to be fair to him, he's probably the best of a bumbling bunch of attacking players we have, Alli, Lamela, Moura, Bergwijn, - all of them have a smattering of redeeming features but none of them you can depend on for any consistency or just to be consistent in their performance in one game most of the time.

I actually think under the right coach, and adapting to 433, and getting the best out of the more talented players we have like Ndombele and Lo Celso - we probably do have the players here to make fist of a top 4 challenge (baring in mind the state of the opposition as well right now) - but we are so far away from that with Mourinho right now. The energy that people like Skipp, Sessegnon, Cirkin, could bring isn't being utilised either.

I just don't see it happening.

If Toby is done we could do with a real stud centre back who can organize things back there.
I agree with that but I would be content to put up with our current options if it means we spend money on DM and fullback.

call me crazy but I was quite impressed with the Dier/Sanchez partnership on Friday up until the penalty. I actually think it might work well under Jose if we give them a run of games to build a partnership.

Sanchez needs to spend extra hours in training dealing with balls in the air though.

only one season in his entire career has he got over 12 goals (14)
Why over 12? Isn’t because two off his other seasons with us he has hit 12?

He’s scored 4,14,12,12 in league goals which is decent for a wide player

and he has only once got over 6 assist
Why over 6? Is because every season he’s hit 6 assists bar his first season.

* all league stats, if you include all competitions he’d be smashing it.

Why over 12? Isn’t because two off his other seasons with us he has hit 12?

He’s scored 4,14,12,12 in league goals which is decent for a wide player

Why over 6? Is because every season he’s hit 6 assists bar his first season.

* all league stats, if you include all competitions he’d be smashing it.

It's decent but it's not outstanding, Eriksen has topped his goal/assist tally consistently and he's spent a big chunk of his time playing in midfield and having to get through 50 passes a game.

And as I said, Son isn't the biggest problem, he's the more productive of the bunch of attacking players we have here now, that's the problem. Moura has 4 assists in two seasons, Lamela 3, Alli 7. Bergwijn not a single one since he joined.

It's really worrying when Aurier is the second most creative player in your team. We need some brains up there, that see the passes and have the technical capacity under pressure to play them. We are creating so few quality chances, and instead relying on moments of individualism to often.

I honestly think we need to bring in a capable backup striker at this point as a Kane insurance policy.

Levy is our problem, we have lost the chance of getting some good players all because he thinks he’s a smart boy and holds back when it comes to transfers. They all know his tactics!
He likes his big bonus every year. We need better that this ENIC lot!
Breaks me completely when that other shower finish better than us.

It's decent but it's not outstanding, Eriksen has topped his goal/assist tally consistently and he's spent a big chunk of his time playing in midfield and having to get through 50 passes a game.

And as I said, Son isn't the biggest problem, he's the more productive of the bunch of attacking players we have here now, that's the problem. Moura has 4 assists in two seasons, Lamela 3, Alli 7. Bergwijn not a single one since he joined.

It's really worrying when Aurier is the second most creative player in your team. We need some brains up there, that see the passes and have the technical capacity under pressure to play them. We are creating so few quality chances, and instead relying on moments of individualism to often.

Bergwijn's statistics - and remember he is still only 22.

2019/20 Goals Assists
- NL 5 10
- Spurs 3 - (and that's from only 6 matches due to injury)

2018/19 (NL) 14 12 (when aged 21)

2017/18 (NL) 8 7 (when aged 20)

So its highly likely that for a 2nd season in succession he will end up with a combined over 20 goals, despite an injury) and assists total, and whilst a lot of that is in Netherlands, he was notching those up when aged only 20 and 21.

IMO getting over 20 goals and assists combined in a season is a good achievement - Lamela has only once got there in one season out of 7 with us, and Moura never as he has very few assists so Bergwijn based on the above is likely to be at the same sort of levels as Eriksen (and Alli) has got to in the previous 4 or 5 seasons which is typically around 22, mainly in Eriksen's case weighted towards assists.

And whilst Bergwijn has yet to register an assist in his 6 matches at Spurs his beautiful cross which Son's header didn't quite beat De Gea on Friday, clearly shows he can get assists - and he runs with his head up so likely to see those opportunities, much more so than say Moura who tends to run with his head down.

Personally I am really excited to have Bergwijn who shows signs of being a really speedy winger with a decent productivity (say 20+) of goals and assists. And whilst you may call Son 'streaky' he's consistently achieved an average of circa 26 combined goals and assists in the last 4 or 5 seasons for Spurs.

And btw, Aurier achieves a number of assists, but at the cost of his defensive duties at which he's not very diligent.

I would like to see Eze at Spurs to offer us attacking options (perhaps in place of Moura or Lamela) and probably after Jack Roles has been on a loan at say a Championship side next season re-evaluate him as an option too. And of course Ryan Sessegnon is still almost an unknown as he's scarcely plaid at Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom