Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bruno Fernades has performed better, cost more and gets more wages so you can wise up with that.
Tottenham's €19m offer said to have been rejected - Spurs could have better luck if they try again - Sport Witness

We bid £19,000,000 for Vedat Muriqi in January which was rejected, they will accept less now

He does seem like a Mourinho striker

his goal return is pretty good.

for a back up striker to Harry, I'd be delighted with him.

All that time to formulate and that's all you can come with? C'mon BC! Those arguments should feel like an old pair of slippers to you by now. But your tourettes-level of trotting them out is likely what led to your forgetting who actually made the academy-turds argument first and delayed your evolution to my perspective. Intractability is not a virtue. Save us both the bother and you the public embarrassment and just agree with me from the start. We both know I'm right.

You're so full of shit BC. Gio transferred last summer at the age of 16 FFS and didn't turn 17 until November. He was transferred to the first team in January and his first fucking minutes were during BVB's next game. That's immediacy BC not some bullshit gradual crap like you are trying to play it. And beyond that he plays in the same position as their best player...AND IS STILL ONLY 17 BC!!!!.

And no one is talking about Jadon Sancho whose is A) not a turd from our academy FFS and B) was freed up for minutes because Pulisic was leaving though you is your typical way would like to shade it another way. BUT, AS USUAL, NOT THE POINT AT HAND BC. The point was about talent forcing a manager's hand and not charitably being given minutes.

So, you know nothing of Reyna's time yet proffered some bullshit narrative to sway those that don't know. With no shame, mind. If I wasn't so familiar with it i'd be surprised. But I'm not. At least you were able to pull some minute's stats though, right? That musta felt good and familiar to you.

We both know you're wrong about much of this Todd. But I won't expect you to admit it, you never do.

We could and should have made better use of our academy. Veljkovic didn't have to be world class to be as useful as people like Chiriches, Dier or Foyth. We wanted him to sign a contract but he left because we kept signing meh players ahead of him and not giving him game time.

Keeping kids like KWP and Onomah away from first team football of any kind for most of 3 years or so between 18-21 is abject stupidity. Like trying to grow tomatoes and someone tells you what they need is to produce the best tomatoes is heat, shade, fertile soil and a big pot - so you put them in a tiny pot, with sand in it, keep them in a cold place, exposed to sunlight.

Skipp is a naturtal midfielder who is far less scared of the ball and technically much more competent than Sissoko. Why isn't he getting more chance?

Was Marcus Edwards not good enough for more than 15 minutes of first team football?

Your hackneyed cliche about "if they are good enough they will get their chance" is bollocks. Plain wrong.

And the knock on effect of that, is that we are now losing some of our best academy players because they see this. You miss the point about Reyna. You are making my point for me. If we tried to sign a 16yo Gio Reyna, he'd likely choose to go somewhere like BVB because he knows he's more likely to get minutes and his development handled properly. (We were actually trying to sign Sancho)

Marcus edwards will have to do it over here before we call it a mistake to sell him.

Not like you to pass up a chance to stick it to the chairman..... Or is it cos doing so would actually put Poch in the firing line. :kanehand:

Is this the latest young prospect everyone's going to hype up? I remember when we kicked up a fuss about Bobby Convey not getting a work permit, I think we were going to sign him instead of Diego fron Santos. Bit cheaper. Levy called it an injustice. 😂

If true he's a must buy, presses from the front, tall, strong, runs everywhere, amazing at tackling, good in the air, and good at passing too, lhe looked good against England not to long ago, then again I thought Jansen would be amazing for us

But will he be happy to keep the bench warm behind Kane each week?

giphy.gif

Not TRF related, but seeing as this is a busy thread:

1 month after a takeover:

...And look at their form:

screenshot-2020-07-01-at-13-10-03.png

Fans must have been completely blindsided by this.... Poor fuckers!

Last edited:
Like this over here:

Yep, if you score against arsenals amazing defender then lets sign them up. Way too early to be claiming edwards as the 1 who got away. Let's see who he moves to & how he does there first. One to keep an eye on for sure

Fair enough. I just think a lot over rate our academy & youth coming through. Its very average. Its not like we are ignoring great young talents.

I don’t think a lot of people do overrate them, they generally rate them about right, but a lot of people definitely over rate many of the players we are linked with buying and sometimes buy.

The point I and others try to make is not that we are continually ignoring great young talents, it’s that we are not always making best use of some of them, whilst wasting money buying not great talents.

In Pochettino we had a manager whose success came from getting players to buy into a collective aggressive energetic tactical ethos. He had a couple of young academy players available to him that could fit that ethos, but he chose to play older, purchased players that were a bad fit for that ethos - regardless of their respective abilities. Sometimes it’s not even a purely talent argument, it’s a tactical one.

Poch ignored the chance to get some fresh legs and minds into his team and it could have helped.

Back
Top Bottom