Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think a lot of people do overrate them, they generally rate them about right, but a lot of people definitely over rate many of the players we are linked with buying and sometimes buy.

The point I and others try to make is not that we are continually ignoring great young talents, it’s that we are not always making best use of some of them, whilst wasting money buying not great talents.

In Pochettino we had a manager whose success came from getting players to buy into a collective aggressive energetic tactical ethos. He had a couple of young academy players available to him that could fit that ethos, but he chose to play older, purchased players that were a bad fit for that ethos - regardless of their respective abilities. Sometimes it’s not even a purely talent argument, it’s a tactical one.

Poch ignored the chance to get some fresh legs and minds into his team and it could have helped.

Someone said Nkoudou reminded them of Hazard before we signed him.

Good times.

I don’t think a lot of people do overrate them, they generally rate them about right, but a lot of people definitely over rate many of the players we are linked with buying and sometimes buy.

The point I and others try to make is not that we are continually ignoring great young talents, it’s that we are not always making best use of some of them, whilst wasting money buying not great talents.

In Pochettino we had a manager whose success came from getting players to buy into a collective aggressive energetic tactical ethos. He had a couple of young academy players available to him that could fit that ethos, but he chose to play older, purchased players that were a bad fit for that ethos - regardless of their respective abilities. Sometimes it’s not even a purely talent argument, it’s a tactical one.

Poch ignored the chance to get some fresh legs and minds into his team and it could have helped.
That's true about overrating some potential signings. But we underrate some potential signings too. Or if a rival sign them we say they are crap anyway. VVD is crap apparently.
I disagree we rate our youngsters about right. People ask them to start, then when they do & don't have a good game they just go quiet.

I'm trying to pretend I'm excited about Hojbjerg but it is difficult
But if he is what Jose wants then we must support him if it's a case of being lumped into him that is different.
However I don't particularly think Henderson of Liverpool is a world beater, but in that team he fits as a piece of the puzzle, so maybe if he comes it could be a similar situation.

Muriqi? Fraser? Höjbjerg... the latter 2 are tidy squad players.

But Chelsea signed Ziyech, Werner, looking at Chilwell and Havertz. United signed Fernandes, even Woolwich looking at Partey now apparently.

We should be closing the gap, not signing mid table players. Not liking this one bit to be honest.

Muriqi? Fraser? Höjbjerg... the latter 2 are tidy squad players.

But Chelsea signed Ziyech, Werner, looking at Chilwell and Havertz. United signed Fernandes, even Woolwich looking at Partey now apparently.

We should be closing the gap, not signing mid table players. Not liking this one bit to be honest.
That's what makes it hard to judge mourinho. I don't think its fair to expect him to get us top 4 this or next season with the players he has compared to our rivals. Top 6 for next season is probably a fair target.
Maybe it really is all about him winning us a cup, with us looking less & less like a CL team.
& him winning us a cup will decide if he is seen as a success or failure.
I don't rate him anymore but he has hardly been given the tools to do major things.

Who did Liverpool sign in the summer that caused them to win the league or made a considerable difference to their squad to enable them to win the league?

That's true about overrating some potential signings. But we underrate some potential signings too. Or if a rival sign them we say they are crap anyway. VVD is crap apparently.
I disagree we rate our youngsters about right. People ask them to start, then when they do & don't have a good game they just go quiet.

people don’t just want all our academy players to start. And they don’t expect any of them to start every week or be selected every week ahead of better options. They would just like to see the very few best ones get made more use of, given some kind reasonable, rationale chance/minutes/minutes off the bench/rotation where appropriate.

But if he is what Jose wants then we must support him if it's a case of being lumped into him that is different.
However I don't particularly think Henderson of Liverpool is a world beater, but in that team he fits as a piece of the puzzle, so maybe if he comes it could be a similar situation.

What Jose wants is probably Sergej Milinković-Savić, but we all know that's never going to happen...:mourcry:

They had already spent more than £140m on two crucial players they needed that have made a tremendous impact and paid the two of them more than £150k per week.

They even spent a lot of money on fees and wages for squad players that some here were hyping up like fuck yet again before they even kicked a ball.

Currently 12 players on £100k+ per week, we have 6. Wage to revenue at Liverpool is 58%. Tottenham is around 40%.

Invest in quality and you're more likely to get success.

Last edited:
On whether missing out on the Champions League would impact on Tottenham's transfer plans this summer, boss Jose Mourinho added: "That's normal. A team that qualifies or doesn't qualify for the Champions League, it makes a difference to their economical situation. That's easy to understand and easy to accept.

"The two good things are that Mr Levy wants what I want, and he wants what the fans want, which is to win football matches and to try to win trophies. So that's one good thing.

"The second good thing is that we don't need much. We don't need many players. We don't need huge investment. That's not our profile as a club - with or without Covid, with or without Champions League - so I think we will manage.

"It doesn't matter what happens in terms of the table, we will manage to improve our squad, which is what we want."

I’ve just posted Jose’s comments from the presser where he says he’s quite happy with the way Spurs are run and doesn't need many players or huge investment. I’m sure in a few weeks this will have been spun into ‘crying out for a second striker’ by some on here but...well...seems to be unambiguous at the moment.

That's what makes it hard to judge mourinho. I don't think its fair to expect him to get us top 4 this or next season with the players he has compared to our rivals. Top 6 for next season is probably a fair target.
Maybe it really is all about him winning us a cup, with us looking less & less like a CL team.
& him winning us a cup will decide if he is seen as a success or failure.
I don't rate him anymore but he has hardly been given the tools to do major things.

So how much have we seen of Ndombele, our record signing, this season, or Sessegnon who is our joint 10th highest value signing.

If they turn up next season it will almost literally be like 2 new signings.

Who did Liverpool sign in the summer that caused them to win the league or made a considerable difference to their squad to enable them to win the league?
Uf I don't know if you know this but they finished 2nd and won the CL. We're on course to finish 7th... so we might be able to reach 6th next year then! amazing.

So how much have we seen of Ndombele, our record signing, this season, or Sessegnon who is our joint 10th highest value signing.

If they turn up next season it will almost literally be like 2 new signings.
If if if if....

Sessegnon is nowhere near ready to perform at the level of a 30 million pound player.

Ndombele... let's just hope someone makes a 40m offer or something in the summer and cut our losses.

Thought it more positive to say 'if they turn up next season' rather than comment 'our current season form might be partly because neither have been seen much' !
I am not that optimistic about Ndombelly especially, Sess has time at 20, but honestly even in his case, I'm a little wary.

I've seen nothing that has been good enough for full back or midfield yet from him at the level required.

The fact that so much money was spent on both of them for so little return on the pitch doesn't sit well, especially when we spend so little comparatively.

If if if if....

Sessegnon is nowhere near ready to perform at the level of a 30 million pound player.

Ndombele... let's just hope someone makes a 40m offer or something in the summer and cut our losses.

Apparently our former manger thought he would be a good PL player - chased him over 2 windows. To be fair injury last June took a lot longer to clear up than expected, so no preseason and few appearances.

Completely unclear what he would be like next season after a proper preseason.

But I thought we grossly overpaid for him in the summer - he's more like a £15m player

I am not that optimistic about Ndombelly especially, Sess has time at 20, but honestly even in his case, I'm a little wary.

I've seen nothing that has been good enough for full back or midfield yet from him at the level required.

The fact that so much money was spent on both of them for so little return on the pitch doesn't sit well, especially when we spend so little comparatively.

We spent circa £80m - £90m on the 2 jointly, so probably 2/3rds of last seasons transfer spend on them.

Hence I thought it should be commented on.

Certainly a monumental cock up if neither turn up next season.

Back
Top Bottom