Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's not being conservative for Dele. I'd say that's almost double what we will get for him. Some folks are 2-3 years down the line of where you are just getting to. There are no teams 'above' us that will want Dele. He is a luxury player and at least 2 seasons past his 'best'. And there is no team 'below' us that will be able to afford him financially nor tactically. If we got an offer for 40M for Dele I would snatch it before the ink was dry.
I think know he is £25 m , he has so nosedived that only a Everton type would consider him.

How many years on his contract?

Same as what Ronaldo went for? Can't remember how much that was. Juve would pay it either way.

Even in this climate, a club like Juve would pay anything up to £150-200m to get Messi.
With Ronaldo and Messi they would expect to make that back and then some in shirt sales, ticket sales, media, CL money etc.

Probably better off asking fogueres fogueres

No doubt they'll have to pay him Ramsey money though...... :memelol:

I may get slated for this but here goes...
I think in terms of talent, Dele is the best English midfielder, and he was at one point in the top 2 or 3 midfielders in the PL; the potential was huge.
There is something very wrong somewhere - he reminds me a bit of Gazza, that there is stuff going on in his head, there is something mentally that is holding him back.
He's been doing stupid things like the covid joke on social media, that's very Gazza like.
In the past big clubs would be willing to tolerate the fact that a lot of the most naturally gifted players come with baggage, but not anymore.
It sounds crazy that Spurs may now struggle to command £40million for him.
If Kane does leave, it may be worth retaining Dele and actually trying to build the side around him - he is really that talented, if someone can sort out what is holding him back mentally it could be like making a £150million signing. Unlike Gazza, Dele has not self-destructed in a career-threatening way and should be hitting his peak years.

I may get slated for this but here goes...
I think in terms of talent, Dele is the best English midfielder, and he was at one point in the top 2 or 3 midfielders in the PL; the potential was huge.
There is something very wrong somewhere - he reminds me a bit of Gazza, that there is stuff going on in his head, there is something mentally that is holding him back.
He's been doing stupid things like the covid joke on social media, that's very Gazza like.
In the past big clubs would be willing to tolerate the fact that a lot of the most naturally gifted players come with baggage, but not anymore.
It sounds crazy that Spurs may now struggle to command £40million for him.
If Kane does leave, it may be worth retaining Dele and actually trying to build the side around him - he is really that talented, if someone can sort out what is holding him back mentally it could be like making a £150million signing. Unlike Gazza, Dele has not self-destructed in a career-threatening way and should be hitting his peak years.
I'll slate you
He's not talented
He played well in a team that played well , that's it at the end of the day. When Eriksen left he no longer got such good deliveries. He's not a player that's going to carry the team (like Son/Kane do) or take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Everything good about him in 2015/16 and 2016/17 has dissapeared and these things are
- Dribbling , occasionally he does a good nutmeg but he's nowhere near as good with the ball now , in fact he takes way too long on the ball
- Shooting , the guy has no left foot at all and can barely shoot the ball properly. its embarrasing.
His attitude is also pretty poor , it just seems like he strops around the pitch. Apparently he's a 'formation' player but I dont see why we should play 4-2-3-1 to carry a bang average player
For all the goals he's got , there mostly late runs into the box , those are his stats , the stats which everyone says makes him look good.
i don't see any team that would try and buy him , forget his off the pitch attitude he's lost most of his footballing ability.
It gets to the point where I thought bringing him on V Sheffield United would make us worse since he takes way to long on the ball and usually loses it a lot. He brings nothing to spurs

I'll slate you
He's not talented
He played well in a team that played well , that's it at the end of the day. When Eriksen left he no longer got such good deliveries. He's not a player that's going to carry the team (like Son/Kane do) or take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Everything good about him in 2015/16 and 2016/17 has dissapeared and these things are
- Dribbling , occasionally he does a good nutmeg but he's nowhere near as good with the ball now , in fact he takes way too long on the ball
- Shooting , the guy has no left foot at all and can barely shoot the ball properly. its embarrasing.
His attitude is also pretty poor , it just seems like he strops around the pitch. Apparently he's a 'formation' player but I dont see why we should play 4-2-3-1 to carry a bang average player
For all the goals he's got , there mostly late runs into the box , those are his stats , the stats which everyone says makes him look good.
i don't see any team that would try and buy him , forget his off the pitch attitude he's lost most of his footballing ability.
It gets to the point where I thought bringing him on V Sheffield United would make us worse since he takes way to long on the ball and usually loses it a lot. He brings nothing to spurs
You could well be right and in fairness I haven't seen enough of his recent form to back up my claims.
I do think he is naturally very talented - his break-out year was no fluke and I'd argue something has gone wrong, rather than him having over-achieved back then.
But it's all academic really, there is no way the club would gamble on Dele as there are too many problems with him.

Dele strikes me as a talented player that had quick success almost too soon and it looks like he has stopped working at his game. In that time he has been overtaken by much more talented younger players like Sancho, Foden and even Maddison. Where he goes from here god knows but the game is full of youngsters that looked great at 20/21 and never pushed on .

Ok Another thread from me on what I think our Summer transfer window should be like.
I'm not going to be too kneejerk after Sheffield United and say the whole team needs to go , at the end of the day we're building a team for Jose so players like Ben Davies aren't going to get replaced Jose loves him so let's be realistic.

What do we need ?
- A RB
- A CDM
- A CB
- A CAM
- A ST

Buy all 5 of this positions and it'd improve us massively.

RB : Aurier's position is causing Tottenham way too many defensive problems, any RB would be an upgrade on Aurier. Tottenham should then also keep Aurier or buy someone else too. They CANNOT be left with 1 senior RB again (because Foyth/Tanganga are CB'S not RB'S)

CDM : Ever Since Wanyama got injured in 2017/18 , Tottenham have simply not had a CDM. You can't play the likes of Sissoko there and expect him to play well in that position , however its important that the CDM is stuck covering for Aurier which is the problem we have now. Any natural CDM would instantly improve the squad.

CB : For me I'm not convinced by any of our CB'S. Dier/Sanchez looked good but Sanchez has regressed and Dier I'm not convinced on. We also have Tanganga who looks promising , Alderweireld who can provide experience and maybe he'll give Foyth a chance. Either way there's some promise in there and a balance of CB'S , However its clear we need 1 good CB, Someone's who's going to go in there and massively improve us.

CAM: Very under-rated issue. Its clear against Sheffield United spurs were missing a number 10 , who could make the final ball or better pass in the final 3rd. We need a number 10 who's creative and is also able to dribble/carry the ball. Many people forget how bland we've looked in attack. for me this is a big problem.

ST: Finally a ST , I think its disgraceful that Tottenham only have 1 senior Striker. I'll be blunt here anyone from Milik to Giroud , who could come off the bench and support Harry Kane , rest Harry Kane or give us another option would improve us. This isn't hard just buy any old ST even if its short term , we need to fix up in that position.

Who Should we sell then ? :
Here are some players I think no longer have futures at the club :
Rose - Mourinho doesn't rate him and he doesn't fit his system. We could get £10m for him
Walker-Peters - Again isn't really good enough for Tottenham and could be used in a potential swap deal with Southampton
Foyth - I think we should cut our losses on him , he has promise for sure but I don't think he's physical enough for the Premier league , he'd do well in France/Spain .
AMOS/CCV - Both should move permanently to Championship clubs although on a small fee

Some more controversial picks :
Aurier? Personally I'd keep him but as a backup...
Lamela? TIme to sell , injury prone , getting older and people in Italy would buy him.
Clarke? Bit harsh to sell him after 1 season
Sissoko/Gedson? Feel like we don't need both , either send Gedson back or sell Sissoko who is what 31 now?

Now I will do a little table of Players we could do with potential Fees for them , I believe without sales/swaps Tottenham should easily have a budget of £25m (which was originally ring-fenced for transfers)

Outs :Ins :
Walker-Peters(Swap)Aarons - £15-20m
Rose (£10m)Hojberg (Swap With KWP + £5m)
Foyth (£15m MAX)Eze ( Swap With Amos/CCV + £5-10m)
Amos , Carter Vickers (SWAPS)
Lamela/Moura (Swap)
Milik (Swap with Lamela/Moura + a small cash fee)
I don't think we have the budget for a CB , But its worth a try I'm just being realistic within what I think we need at a bare minimum
Maybe they should cut their losses on Dele and put that £40m or so towards a CB

Ok Another thread from me on what I think our Summer transfer window should be like.
I'm not going to be too kneejerk after Sheffield United and say the whole team needs to go , at the end of the day we're building a team for Jose so players like Ben Davies aren't going to get replaced Jose loves him so let's be realistic.

What do we need ?
- A RB
- A CDM
- A CB
- A CAM
- A ST

RB : Aurier's position is causing Tottenham way too many defensive problems, any RB would be an upgrade on Aurier. Tottenham should then also keep Aurier or buy someone else too. They CANNOT be left with 1 senior RB again (because Foyth/Tanganga are CB'S not RB'S)

CDM : Ever Since Wanyama got injured in 2017/18 , Tottenham have simply not had a CDM. You can't play the likes of Sissoko there and expect him to play well in that position , however its important that the CDM is stuck covering for Aurier which is the problem we have now. Any natural CDM would instantly improve the squad.

CB : For me I'm not convinced by any of our CB'S. Dier/Sanchez looked good but Sanchez has regressed and Dier I'm not convinced on. We also have Tanganga who looks promising , Alderweireld who can provide experience and maybe he'll give Foyth a chance. Either way there's some promise in there and a balance of CB'S , However its clear we need 1 good CB, Someone's who's going to go in there and massively improve us.

CAM: Very under-rated issue. Its clear against Sheffield United spurs were missing a number 10 , who could make the final ball or better pass in the final 3rd. We need a number 10 who's creative and is also able to dribble/carry the ball. Many people forget how bland we've looked in attack. for me this is a big problem.

ST: Finally a ST , I think its disgraceful that Tottenham only have 1 senior Striker. I'll be blunt here anyone from Milik to Giroud , who could come off the bench and support Harry Kane , rest Harry Kane or give us another option would improve us. This isn't hard just buy any old ST even if its short term , we need to fix up in that position.

Rose - Mourinho doesn't rate him and he doesn't fit his system. We could get £10m for him
Walker-Peters - Again isn't really good enough for Tottenham and could be used in a potential swap deal with Southampton
Foyth - I think we should cut our losses on him , he has promise for sure but I don't think he's physical enough for the Premier league , he'd do well in France/Spain .
AMOS/CCV - Both should move permanently to Championship clubs although on a small fee

Lamela? TIme to sell , injury prone , getting older and people in Italy would buy him.
Sissoko/Gedson? Feel like we don't need both , either send Gedson back or sell Sissoko who is what 31 now?

Now I will do a little table of Players we could do with potential Fees for them , I believe without sales/swaps Tottenham should easily have a budget of £25m (which was originally ring-fenced for transfers)

Lamela/Moura (Swap)
I don't think we have the budget for a CB , But its worth a try I'm just being realistic within what I think we need at a bare minimum
we need a lb too. Davies is poor

I'll slate you
He's not talented
Hoddinho just wondered why you disagree'd with this , do you actually rate Dele Alli?😂

I'll slate you
He's not talented
Trojanhorse too , I'd love to know why you think Dele isnt this bad^

Trojanhorse too , I'd love to know why you think Dele isnt this bad^
That's something you can relate to 2/3 of Liverpool squad, they are good, because the team is good. Dele can find a pass and ability to play fast and short passes on small area, which linked well with Eriksen. Now, when it takes 5 touches for our midfield to control the ball, all of these is gone. With amazing brains like Lucas or Sissoko our game become so predictable, that Dele's skills are useless. He's not a type of 10 that will take control when the team is underperforming, dribble and do solo stuff. He needs his teammates, and lately he had no one to play with. Even in final months of Poch era Kane was injured, and we were lumping long balls to Llorente. Dele used to make runs that created plenty of space for Kane or score from one created by Kane, which now also is useless, as we have no one that could see that and execute a pass. We need more of GLC, Kane and Ndombele to unlock Dele again, and less of Sissoko, Aurier and Lucas. I think you forgot things like briliant last minute assist vs Ajax, beauties scored vs Woolwich and Chelsea, and many many more.

What do we need ?
- A RB
- A CDM
- A CB
- A CAM
- A ST

Lamela/Moura (Swap)
if we get £10 million for Rose Levy deserves a medal

Back
Top Bottom