Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some are going in a bit too harshly on Dele's ability. He's capable of genius bits of improvisation, skill and finishing. He can be really effective making off the ball runs through/beyond the defence. Used to be effective and aggressive in the press.

Sad to watch this last few years though. Has money/comfort taken the edge out of his play and ambition? Or so long spent playing in a midfield position to which he was so poorly suited? The regression has been disappointing, his ball retention is appalling.

I love Dele. I have a jersey with his name on it. I even named my damn cat after him. He’s one of my favorites since he got to the team. But I completely understand why people would want to sell him. And I’m not totally against it. He’s way too inconsistent and he doesn’t really fit in our team.

The popular idea (which I’m a fan of) is switching to a 433 once we get a legit DM (with Ndombele and Lo Celso in front of the DM). Would he fit better in a 433? If so, we could be better off keeping him as a dynamic sub and depth.

I have similar feelings about Sissoko and Lamela. I love both players. They’re so fun to watch. But they both kinda have the same problems. They work hard, disrupt play, they can gain possession better than most on the team....but they both seem to always fail in the final moments of a run or buildup. They just aren’t consistent enough. I think we need to cash in on both.

I've not read this whole thread so apologies if this point has been raised, but do you think normal transfer activity is going to continue given the financial uncertainty of Covid?
Some are going in a bit too harshly on Dele's ability. He's capable of genius bits of improvisation, skill and finishing. He can be really effective making off the ball runs through/beyond the defence. Used to be effective and aggressive in the press.

Sad to watch this last few years though. Has money/comfort taken the edge out of his play and ambition? Or so long spent playing in a midfield position to which he was so poorly suited? The regression has been disappointing, his ball retention is appalling.
I thought he changed after that the red card tackle vs Gent. It was a bad one, no doubt, and elicited a lot of reaction - I think I probably over-reacted at the time too.
I went to his next game after the suspension and something had changed - he'd spend a lot of time literally on the touchline, away from the thick of it. I assumed it would just be a temporary thing but we've never seen him play aggressively since.
Plus things like VAR make it very difficult to play aggressively now - but there are certain types of players who have two sides, a very gifted side, and it comes with an aggressive side - if you lose one, you lose the other.

I love Dele. I have a jersey with his name on it. I even named my damn cat after him. He’s one of my favorites since he got to the team. But I completely understand why people would want to sell him. And I’m not totally against it. He’s way too inconsistent and he doesn’t really fit in our team.

The popular idea (which I’m a fan of) is switching to a 433 once we get a legit DM (with Ndombele and Lo Celso in front of the DM). Would he fit better in a 433? If so, we could be better off keeping him as a dynamic sub and depth.

I have similar feelings about Sissoko and Lamela. I love both players. They’re so fun to watch. But they both kinda have the same problems. They work hard, disrupt play, they can gain possession better than most on the team....but they both seem to always fail in the final moments of a run or buildup. They just aren’t consistent enough. I think we need to cash in on both.
Especially with Sissoko and Lamela, it can be hard to admit that players who play with tenacity and love the clubs are just not good enough for it, but I think that's the case here. Sissoko more so than Lamela.

Lucas is another example.

Sell: Sanchez, Rose, KWP, Aurier, Sissoko, Lucas, Foyth = ~90m

Swap: Dele for Rice; Lamela + cash for Milik

Buy: Emerson, Aarons, Kim, Gabriel, Eze ~100m

Free: Willian

Team A: 433
Son - Kane - Bergwijn
Ndombele - Rice - Lo Celso
Sessegnon - Dier - Toby - Emerson
Lloris

Team B: 4321
Milik
Eze - Willian
Winks - Skipp - Gedson
Davies - Gabriel - Kim - Aarons
?

Easy enough, right?

Last edited:
The academy is where we seem to now be getting less from than the other 5. Haven’t had an academy player establish themselves for a while.

Kane and Winks have been around for longer than I am meaning. Tanganga is an extremely small sample size.

Compare to Foden, Greenwood, Williams, Alexander-Arnold, Mount, Abraham, Saka, McTominay.

Really would love to see guys like Cirkin, Tanganga, Skipp and Parrott take some promising steps next season

The academy is where we seem to now be getting less from than the other 5. Haven’t had an academy player establish themselves for a while.

Kane and Winks have been around for longer than I am meaning. Tanganga is an extremely small sample size.

Compare to Foden, Greenwood, Williams, Alexander-Arnold, Mount, Abraham, Saka, McTominay.

Really would love to see guys like Cirkin, Tanganga, Skipp and Parrott take some promising steps next season
I'm led to believe we got tons of players coming through and top quality as well. Within the next year of two they should be displacing many of the first teamers I would imagine. Huzzah for us.

At Spurs we've always been obsessed with who we transfer in and out - but what about the rate of transfers?
10 years ago our transfer rate was too high - players were leaving before we could learn their names - over the last 5 years it has been too low. I know Toby A's face better than I do some of my cousins.
I think Spurs need to think about their transfer policy in terms of settling on a regular model - we will buy two maybe three new players each window; we will sell two maybe three each window. And stick to it.
The problem with the five year rebuilds is that they always take, by definition, five years. Incremental improvement has a lot to be said for it, as unromantic as it is.
I know this hasn't been helped by the fact we've tried to build sides around Carrick, Berbatov, Bale, who've then done runners. But there is a lot to be learned from Chelsea's treatment of Hazard - they never allowed themselves to become completely dependent on him.

Seems like Fernandes is the Ndombele we should have bought

:levywtf:

Brilliant, isn't he? In the country a few months and you could see him during the water break giving Greenwood fluent positional instruction. Fashionable talking point but very true, he's after instilling a competitive winning spirit into that United team.

I may get slated for this but here goes...
I think in terms of talent, Dele is the best English midfielder, and he was at one point in the top 2 or 3 midfielders in the PL; the potential was huge.
There is something very wrong somewhere - he reminds me a bit of Gazza, that there is stuff going on in his head, there is something mentally that is holding him back.
He's been doing stupid things like the covid joke on social media, that's very Gazza like.
In the past big clubs would be willing to tolerate the fact that a lot of the most naturally gifted players come with baggage, but not anymore.
It sounds crazy that Spurs may now struggle to command £40million for him.
If Kane does leave, it may be worth retaining Dele and actually trying to build the side around him - he is really that talented, if someone can sort out what is holding him back mentally it could be like making a £150million signing. Unlike Gazza, Dele has not self-destructed in a career-threatening way and should be hitting his peak years.
Are you saying the opposite...... ?
I can't believe you really think Dele is that type of naturally gifted player.. and even the best English midfielder.
How could you judge a player like Dele as a naturally gifted player ?

Back
Top Bottom