Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bowen cost about 3 times as much though, and is supposed to be ready now. Is he better than Bergwijn?
Clarke is a project, he should be challenging at the same time as Sessegnon, Skipp and Parrott.

Reading that line speaks volumes as to why we need to bag EL next season.

Was looking through our most expensive signings recently and it dosen't make great reading

Soldado, Sess, Sissoko, Aurier and Bent, Paulinho and Janssen are in our top 15.

What I'm trying to say is it's not all money spent, there's something seriously wrong with our scouting system.

Was looking through our most expensive signings recently and it dosen't make great reading

Soldado, Sess, Sissoko, Aurier and Bent, Paulinho and Janssen are in our top 15.

What I'm trying to say is it's not all money spent, there's something seriously wrong with our scouting system.

+ Bentley, Lamela, Sanchez, Ndombele (?)

We are crap at spending money.

(Add in GLC, Lucas, Stevie B, Son to round off the 15.)

Last edited:
Watching Newcastle vs West Ham, and have a few thoughts.

1 - Bentaleb still gets in our midfield. Better than Sissoko and probably Winks.
2 - How and who thought Clarke would be a better signing than Bowen?

Bowen has impressed me whenever I've seen him from West Ham - it's a shame we never signed him, maybe if Poch was still here in January we may have done?

Watching Newcastle vs West Ham, and have a few thoughts.

1 - Bentaleb still gets in our midfield. Better than Sissoko and probably Winks.
2 - How and who thought Clarke would be a better signing than Bowen?

I don't think there was a choice between Clarke and Bowen. Clarke is very inexperienced and for the future. Bowen was ready to play. Maybe the choice was Bergwijn or Bowen

And yet lots of people want us to spend loads of money like it is an instant recipe for success.
standing around doing nothing has brought us to this position. no swings and roundabouts. there were 3 to 4 windows to improve this squad and we spent f all. look at the ramifications of it now. Liverpool and us had nothing between us 3 seasons ago. they spent wisely when it mattered and are reaping the rewards while we have declined so much that we are competing with Everton and Newcastle etc

Mourinho in his press conference Yesterday said he’s not looking to buy older players in the summer. Doesn’t suit the narrative so it’s not really been identified.
No but that was me, as in loaned could be younger the free transfer options older we‘ve been heavily linked with Willian 31, Giroud 32 I was assessing that they’d be older I hope there not Levy likes younger boys as well.......

fuck that didn’t sound right did it.....:levystare:

standing around doing nothing has brought us to this position. no swings and roundabouts. there were 3 to 4 windows to improve this squad and we spent f all. look at the ramifications of it now. Liverpool and us had nothing between us 3 seasons ago. they spent wisely when it mattered and are reaping the rewards while we have declined so much that we are competing with Everton and Newcastle etc

Read back accross the preceding posts..... You're missing the point, fella.

And yet lots of people want us to spend loads of money like it is an instant recipe for success.

Cilla black Surprise surprise, Levy’s bum bandit Assfixx agrees with this statement. Lots of people want us to spend on quality because that’s what brings you success. Standing still and not spending a single penny that summer has completely fucked us. You and others are constantly making excuses for Daniel Levy. Liverpool and all the other top clubs spend on quality and strength in depth, low and behold they are league winners and European champions. We are going nowhere under our current regime.

You can’t reason with certain Spurs supporters mate. The likes of Assfixx are so blinded by their loyalty to the bald one and have almost accepted mediocrity as a positive. It’s utterly ridiculous how they can’t accept that spending on quality and strength in depth slowly builds success. Spurs don’t do this, hence why we have a pathetic 1 league cup in over 20 years.

You constantly need to refresh the squad, after summer 2015 we stopped doing that, it was either stop gaps like Llorente, clear downgrades like Aurier, or last minute panic buys like Sissoko. Even the quartet last summer only 2 were 'first team ready'. I dont believe you need to spend a fortune but you do need a plan and do need to act quickly in the market. Both things we have been dismal at for years. Pleny of value to be had from the relegated teams this season, Eze at QPR and other championship players. But please not another window of hedging our bets until the last week.

No CL next season means we getting 0 top names in summer, we have to be lucky and buy from abroad south america, france etc players with potential and look at lower leagues here that's our only options.

You can’t reason with certain Spurs supporters mate. The likes of Assfixx are so blinded by their loyalty to the bald one and have almost accepted mediocrity as a positive. It’s utterly ridiculous how they can’t accept that spending on quality and strength in depth slowly builds success. Spurs don’t do this, hence why we have a pathetic 1 league cup in over 20 years.

Start at looking at the top 10 highest players purchased and you'd find that other than Son, Lo Celso and maybe Bergwijn, we've had a really bad experience (like 'goalscorer' Soldado) or at best average careers at Spurs like Sissoko (2 seasons to get going), ever injured Lamela, 'dont play me as a defender' Aurier, 'I may come good if I am played' Sanchez, 'what's an assist ?' Moura, or we are still waiting to see if they make it (Ndombele, Sessegnon)

That's why the statement 'spending on quality and strength in depth' is sadly pie in the sky - we've been burnt too often by those making 'footballing decisions' and fans thinking 'spend some money it never fails'.

About Timothy Castagne, I´ve watched the full 90 minutes of Atalanta vs Napoli, from last Thursday. The result was 2-0 Atalanta and Castagne was involved in both goals.

Very good performance, especially in the second half. Great energy and speed, and even more important: you can definitely trust in his decision making - going forward as well as defending.

He´s also a skillful player. Good improvisations in the build-up from the right, and there was a beautiful dribble on Koulibaly just in front of the penalty box - resulted in a very dangerous free-kick.

Of course, they play in a different system - back 3/5. But the way Jose uses his right-back, he´d be just fine.

Castagne is 24, he´s a Belgium International and his contract with Atalanta expires next year. Not a flashy signing, but I´m certain that he´d be a real improvement on Aurier right way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom