Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

that’s because our scouting network is horrendous. That doesn’t mean not spending isn’t the way forward. Every other top club spends to succeed and win trophies doing it. Spurs don’t win trophies, it’s as simple as that dude. Assfixx can agree with you all he likes, but you guys are definitely in the minority. Spurs fans are quiet rightly fed up of the way the club operates. They spend for profit and don’t spend to win trophies unlike Chelsea etc

Poch wanted control over transfers - that's why Mitchell left.

Sadly he got control and as he had little experience of that field he screwed up - just no judgement over players. Look up Dani Osvaldo who Poch bought at Espanyol - but had to get rid of for disciplinary reasons.

Then when Poch goes to Southampton he buys Osvaldo again, this time from Roma. Within months big punch up at the training ground and club has no option other than to sack Osvaldo (so losing the transfer fee they paid, and no hope of a fee coming in).

That's why our recruitment since Poch got control over that has been so poor. Simply bad footballing/personality judgement..........hence buying Ndombele but not knowing how to get him to play etc

Sadly he got control and as he had little experience of that field he screwed up - just no judgement over players. Look up Dani Osvaldo who Poch bought at Espanyol - but had to get rid of for disciplinary reasons.

Then when Poch goes to Southampton he buys Osvaldo again, this time from Roma. Within months big punch up at the training ground and club has no option other than to sack Osvaldo (so losing the transfer fee they paid, and no hope of a fee coming in).

That's why our recruitment since Poch got control over that has been so poor. Simply bad footballing/personality judgement..........hence buying Ndombele but not knowing how to get him to play etc
Hmmm I think you’re playing with truth regarding Mitchell departure tbh.

Pretty sure it was do to more with levy and him not going for the players he was shortlisting than poch wanting control.

Plus there’s loads of example where poch wanted player A and levy going for player B ie mane & sissoko.

I was under the impression that Mitchell left because Levy and the board kept ignoring Poch and Mitchell's suggestions of which players to buy. Poch was very disappointed that Mitchell left

Pretty sure it was do to more with levy and him not going for the players he was shortlisting than poch wanting control.

Plus there’s loads of example where poch wanted player A and levy going for player B ie mane & sissoko.

So you think it a co-incidence that Mitchell was not replaced and Poch got the title of manager and control of transfers ?

I was under the impression that Mitchell left because Levy and the board kept ignoring Poch and Mitchell's suggestions of which players to buy. Poch was very disappointed that Mitchell left

See my answer above - Mitchell not replaced but Poch has new title of manager and control of transfers.

Co-incidence ?

See my answer above - Mitchell not replaced but Poch has new title of manager and control of transfers.

Co-incidence ?

I just think it was a case of Poch not trusting to work with anyone else. What would have been the point when the board also interferes in the process.

Every manager we have had has complained or not been satisfued about how Levy and his people conduct the transfer process

Can't remember the source now, but IIRC, Mitchell has since said he fell out with Poch.

Past article:

Poch talks of being "dissapointed" over Mitchell making a "personal" decision to leave, but there's no hint of Levy being involved in the article.

On a slightly different tip; notably, there is this sentence:

"the club chase the “one or two” signings Pochettino said he was hoping to make" - Note: Poch wanted.

At the point of being made Manager (rather then head coach) Poch assumed more power over transfers.... There was a minor song and dance made about this at the time.

In your phrasing you're speculating that Levy thrust these players on Poch against his will.... To suggest there's examples that prove your theory is not true (you're theorising about why we ended up with Sissoko; that's not the same thing.)

Someone phrased this better than me the other day, but in short:

Most managers don't end up with player A that's why lists with more than one option are compiled, but if a manager (note: not head coach) green-light's player B then he's centrally complicit to the purchase...

The idea that Levy is throwing players with 30m-60m players at Poch against his will is wild to say the least given everything we assume to know about Levy & Poch's desire for for control over after the initial period of his tenure. We also know he's personally convinced Jansen, Sanchez, Ndombele, Llorente and others (Aurier IIRC) to come here.

There’s no excuse for the summer 2018 window, any idiot knows that. Show me the excuses I’ve made for him. Just because I don’t whine like a little bitch about everything, doesnt mean im happy with how all facets of the club are run. I just understand that it isn’t easy, if it was everyone would be doing it. I’m a patient adult, not a child who throws their toys out the park because everything isn’t run like their team on football manager.

I think most of us have been patient enough mate. Over 20 years and barely a trophy to our name is patient. We pay the highest ticket prices in Europe, so we have a right to “bitch and moan “ when our tight wad of a chairman continuously messes up every transfer window.

Co-incidence ?

Or maybe as Mitchell left in a huff Levy just thought the DOF was more trouble than its worth and decided not to replace him and give Poch total control.

there could be any number of equally feasible explanations.

I just think it was a case of Poch not trusting to work with anyone else. What would have been the point when the board also interferes in the process.

Every manager we have had has complained or not been satisfued about how Levy and his people conduct the transfer process

To indulge the absolute nature of your comment: 'Every' manager complains about their chairman... 'Every' manager wants more money.... 'Every' manager has annecdotes about missing out on player X. Regardeless, I'm not sure that the highlighted part is explicitly as painted.:

Who are Levy's mystical "people"? ....What other roles are there outside of the scouting dept. and a sometime DOF?

We've had numerous changes of system and set up from the days of Connoli onwards..... Redknapp insisted on more direct influence, AVB requested Baldini, Sherwood was a gimp, Poch wanted managerial influence much like HR.

Last edited:
Can't remember the source now, but IIRC, Mitchell has since said he fell out with Poch.

Past article:

Poch talks of being "dissapointed" over Mitchell making a "personal" decision to leave, but there's no hint of Levy being involved in the article.

On a slightly different tip; notably, there is this sentence:

"the club chase the “one or two” signings Pochettino said he was hoping to make" - Note: Poch wanted.

At the point of being made Manager (rather then head coach) Poch assumed more power over transfers.... There was a minor song and dance made about this at the time.

In your phrasing you're speculating that Levy thrust these players on Poch against his will.... To suggest there's examples that prove your theory is not true (you're theorising about why we ended up with Sissoko; that's not the same thing.)

Someone phrased this better than me the other day, but in short:

Most managers don't end up with player A that's why lists with more than one option are compiled, but if a manager (note: not head coach) green-light's player B then he's centrally complicit to the purchase...

The idea that Levy is throwing players with 30m-60m players at Poch against his will is wild to say the least given everything we assume to know about Levy & Poch's desire for for control over after the initial period of his tenure. We also know he's personally convinced Jansen, Sanchez, Ndombele, Llorente and others (Aurier IIRC) to come here.
If I can interject just for a minute, just recently Jose said that bergwijin was not his first choice.
Do we assume that bergwijin was 2nd or 3rd on the list, or was he insisting that the player wasn't even on his radar and that someone else had fobbed him off onto him.
:mourfacepalm: please

If I can interject just for a minute, just recently Jose said that bergwijin was not his first choice.
Do we assume
that bergwijin was 2nd or 3rd on the list, or was he insisting that the player wasn't even on his radar and that someone else had fobbed him off onto him.
:mourfacepalm: please

There's no cause to assume anything other than what was said... Option A (whoever it was) wasn't viable (for whatever reason), but option B was also on the radar and pursued. That's a standard process.... (This is literally laid out in the post you replied to!)

Did Jose say "I didn't want B"?

Nope.

Again, do you think it's the epitome of Levy to splash 28m if the manager says he doesn't want him?

If you insist so, you're just rubbishing the entire notion of Levy being tight.... Afterall he could have just said "Fuck it; we'll recall Clarke... Try and get a tune out of him instead... I'm paying you enough!"

Last edited:

You can keep throwing out evidence to the contrary but folks like Spursidol Spursidol and bus-conductor bus-conductor are going to keep pushing the narrative that these decisions were Poch's and not DL's. They've been shown many a time that their narrative isn't true and that they have nothing to support it except their chapped-ass feelings because their beloved academy turds didn't get minutes. Hell, DL just reiterated the very facts with regards to how things have always run/Mou's tenure and it was shown to one of them but they just concoct a new twisted theory in their little academy nonce minds. They've got an axe to grind and they will keep spreading their disinformation. Shame really.

SI and BC don't @ me.

You’d think Levy and Lewis would learn from their mistakes and realize how important this window is for the club. If they don’t inject some money into this window’s budget we could fall pretty far behind the top 4.

They want to save money by not spending in transfers but that’ll result in losing money due to poor play.

There's no cause to assume anything other than what was said... Option A (whoever it was) wasn't viable (for whatever reason), but option B was also on the radar and pursued. That's a standard process.... (This is literally laid out in the post you replied to!)

Did Jose say "I didn't want B"?

Nope.

Again, do you think it's the epitome of Levy to splash 28m if the manager says he doesn't want him?

If you insist so, you're just rubbishing the entire notion of Levy being tight.... Afterall he could have just said "Fuck it; we'll recall Clarke... Try and get a tune out of him instead... I'm paying you enough!"

Why the LOL skywalker68 - You not up for a gown-up discussion?

I thought we were past needless goading?

You asked/I answered.

We had a "How's ENIC doing?" poll just before Lockdown... Approx 75% of the forum gave them somewhere between a C and B equating to "good" but not "excellent".
We also had a What's gone wrong poll following our poor start to the season.

60% voted Years of underinvestment in the squad.

And another similar poll in March, where 80% blamed the collapse on our under-invested mess of a squad or a combination of that and the current manager.

I suppose those polls don't count?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom