Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was under the impression that Mitchell left because Levy and the board kept ignoring Poch and Mitchell's suggestions of which players to buy. Poch was very disappointed that Mitchell left

We will never know unless Mitchell actually divulges it, but there have been conflicting stories. What I definitely didn't buy into was that he left because of Levy being a "tight cunt" it's not like he was working with bigger budgets at Southampton and subsequently at RBL. I can't believe he left because he thought Spurs were suddenly going to start spending like City. And post Mitchell, Poch insisted on us not hiring a replacement or DOF.

As recently as thursday 18 June this year on the ESPN FC podcast, Gab Marcotti and Julien Laurens were talking about Mitchell's move to Monaco and Marcotti said the Mitchell had fallen out with Pochettino.

Plus there’s loads of example where poch wanted player A and levy going for player B ie mane & sissoko.
Its really weird how so many choose to overlook this. Almost as if they're more interested in supporting our CEO who openly said he has little interest in football, than supporting a manager who wants the best players for our football team.

Freaky stuff.

Why the LOL skywalker68 - You not up for a gown-up discussion?

I thought we were past needless goading?

You asked/I answered.
We are past all that nonsense mate, you are a very good poster and fella but it just made me chuckle you will have no criticism of ###y.
Talking about bergwijin what are your thoughts on him, I know I am going to be told it's early days but he doesn't convince me, perhaps I'm being harsh but he doesn't quite do it for me.
:kanehand: :troll:

We are past all that nonsense mate, you are a very good poster and fella but it just made me chuckle you will have no criticism of ###y.
Talking about bergwijin what are your thoughts on him, I know I am going to be told it's early days but he doesn't convince me, perhaps I'm being harsh but he doesn't quite do it for me.
:kanehand: :troll:
Bergwijn is a Levy signing. Jose told us that himself.

It's like Poch's interview last summer. He said not to call him the manager. I am just a coach. His job was to coach the players Levy buys.

I will; I have my own criticisms of him.... I've listed them in the past in the spirit of appeasing snarky posters.

(My biggest one right now is we need to rebuild and beef up our scouting network and preferably head it up with a DOF. If this process drags I will be pissed.)

Perhaps explain the holes in my retort re the whole A > B target list thing?

Like I say, it's not just us; that's how it generally works unless you're bullying clubs aggressively with your chequebook like City or RM do... Even the likes of BMunich have to be patient and broker deals over time that work for them: See Sane or James on loan.

Could do with a more convincing 90m performance(s) from him, but to be fair to the lad he's hit the ground quicker than any other purchase in recent memory (and scored a few pivotal goals in the process).... Gotta remember he got injured along the way too.....

IMO he's 1st pick RW atm.

You can keep throwing out evidence to the contrary but folks like Spursidol Spursidol and bus-conductor bus-conductor are going to keep pushing the narrative that these decisions were Poch's and not DL's.

See above, there's different stories circulating in the media. I've just referenced one above. feel free to listen to it. We will never know why Mitchell left, unless he tells us, you know no more than any of us, if you do then fucking prove it. The theory that it was because Mitchell was flagging up expensive superstars and Levy wouldn't buy them would seem highly unlikely though wouldn't it. You'd hardly need a recruitment analytics expert and his black box to sign Neymar would you. And it's not like Mitchell has worked in that environment before or since. Always seemed far more likely to me that Pochettino would be more unhappy scouring the value genre of Mitchell's black box than Levy?

And then we know for sure that Poch convinced Levy not to hire a replacement or DOF don't we.

They've been shown many a time that their narrative isn't true and that they have nothing to support it

Except there has been plenty to support it hasn't there:

Edit, just to make it easy for you. 51m30s “he’s known in the industry as the guy that went to Spurs and fell out with Pochettino”

except their chapped-ass feelings because their beloved academy turds didn't get minutes. Hell, DL just reiterated the very facts with regards to how things have always run/Mou's tenure and it was shown to one of them but they just concoct a new twisted theory in their little academy nonce minds. They've got an axe to grind and they will keep spreading their disinformation. Shame really.

It's really fucking sad that you've become this Todd. I used to really respect you as a contributor even when we disagreed. We always used to be able to disagree about things pretty amicably. Your continual disingenuous misrepresentation (or downright lying - see the bullshit about Sessegnon yesterday) of my stance on the integration/better use of a few academy players, or "turds" as you now super amusingly like to call them, is pretty much what started all this stupid shit, but it seems you've reached a new low.

You're now calling us nonces eh? And you're saying we have an axe to grind? Fucking pathetic. disgusting and pathetic.

SI and BC don't @ me.

Then don't fucking @ me.

Last edited:
I will; I have my own criticisms of him.... I've listed them in the past in the spirit of appeasing snarky posters.

(My biggest one right now is we need to rebuild and beef up our scouting network and preferably head it up with a DOF. If this process drags I will be pissed.)

Perhaps explain the holes in my retort re the whole A > B target list thing?

Like I say, it's not just us; that's how it generally works unless you're bullying clubs aggressively with your chequebook like City or RM do... Even the likes of BMunich have to be patient and broker deals over time that work for them: See Sane or James on loan.

Could do with a more convincing 90m performance(s) from him, but to be fair to the lad he's hit the ground quicker than any other purchase in recent memory (and scored a few pivotal goals in the process).... Gotta remember he got injured along the way too.....

IMO he's 1st pick RW atm.
I'm not snarky mate I'm a lovely fella or so my mum used to say.
:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :harrylol::levylol:

Bergwijn is a Levy signing. Jose told us that himself.

It's like Poch's interview last summer. He said not to call him the manager. I am just a coach. His job was to coach the players Levy buys.

If Poch was just head coach, maybe he should have been demoted, had his job title removes and had his wages cut?

Ndombele was the latest in a string of players whom Poch had talked into coming.... Much like it was Poch who pursued De Jong when we tried to get him but he turned us down for Barca.

People need to stop saying we didn’t replace Mitchell as we did but we just gave him a different title.

Steve hitchin job aa head scout is to do exactly what Mitchell job was in identifying players for us to sign.

People need to stop saying we didn’t replace Mitchell as we did but we just gave him a different title.

Steve hitchin job aa head scout is to do exactly what Mitchell job was in identifying players for us to sign.

OK, well lets be specific then....

Head Of Recruitment vs Chief Scout

Missing piece of the puzzle?

Head Coach vs Manager.

Southampton just got a clean sheet against City. KWP had a very nice game. Hojbjerg wasn’t even on the bench (I guess they’re done with him).

Hitchens job is to scout the players - get out and see them play etc

Mitchell researched players on his black box to find targets for Hitchens to scout.

This is what I took from JM quote but maybe it was just my take on it.
Bergwijn was targeted since October 2018, I posted the article on the transfer thread.

This for me proved that our managers don't get the players they want, or a final say on players.

They accept what the club gets for them.

Mitchell researched players on his black box to find targets for Hitchens to scout.
Yea Mitchell was gone before Hitchen joined.

Both there jobs was to identify players for us to sign.

It’s quite obvious that levy had the over riding decision making on who we can and cannot sign.

Did poch have a say yea sure he would but did he make the final decision absolutely not.

Any boring now so I’m moving on 👍🏼

Yea Mitchell was gone before Hitchen joined.

Both there jobs was to identify players for us to sign.

It’s quite obvious that levy had the over riding decision making on who we can and cannot sign.

Did poch have a say yea sure he would but did he make the final decision absolutely not.

Any boring now so I’m moving on 👍🏼

The chairman will always have the ultimate decision as to whether a club signs a player, pretty much no matter what the structure, he has to make the final call on whether a deal is financially viable.

Mitchell's job was to oversee the whole recruitment process/strategy, including the identification process, analytical process, scouting process (ie tell the scouts who to scout etc). Hitchin's remit - as we all understand it according to reports was more scouting, or as head scout, overseeing scouts and scouting himself.

Back
Top Bottom