Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bergwijn was targeted since October 2018, I posted the article on the transfer thread.

This for me proved that our managers don't get the players they want, or a final say on players.

They accept what the club gets for them.

Pretty tenuous sense of "proof" tbf....

By "targeting"; despite the implications of your phrasing, I'm assuming that actually means we'd been scouting him since 2018 when he played against us.....

"Hey Jose you know you asked for X? Well we can't get him.... We've been scouting this guy at PSV though for a while... What do you think? ....Fancy working with this kid"

Unthinkable, huh?

As I've already pointed out a number of times, there's also been numerous reports (including from players themselves) of Poch talking players into signing too....

Last edited:
If there is no clear and effective relationship between the scouts, directors, chairman and manager about what profiles, players, for what and when should be recruited - it simply can not work on the top level.

Our model is like that of United's or Barcelona's - power drunk lawyers without footballing knowledge buying whoever the fuck because of financials.

The manager has to have SOME input on who to buy or at least be part of choosing from a shortlist and developing the profile for the positions needed. Then the technical director/dof/scouting team finds players and Levy can try to get the 2 extra cents he so desperately wants. But Levy & Woodward just go and do whatever the fuck they want. And how well does it work? Proof's in the pudding innit. It's SHIT.

About Timothy Castagne, I´ve watched the full 90 minutes of Atalanta vs Napoli, from last Thursday. The result was 2-0 Atalanta and Castagne was involved in both goals.

Very good performance, especially in the second half. Great energy and speed, and even more important: you can definitely trust in his decision making - going forward as well as defending.

He´s also a skillful player. Good improvisations in the build-up from the right, and there was a beautiful dribble on Koulibaly just in front of the penalty box - resulted in a very dangerous free-kick.

Of course, they play in a different system - back 3/5. But the way Jose uses his right-back, he´d be just fine.

Castagne is 24, he´s a Belgium International and his contract with Atalanta expires next year. Not a flashy signing, but I´m certain that he´d be a real improvement on Aurier right way.
You're right but why would he come here? Probably lower wages for starters.

Last edited:
This window really is make or break for Tottenham/ENIC

A few things really :
- A large proportion of the fanbase are now turning on ENIC/Levy
- If we stagnate anymore we fall behind the top 6 and we are going to mid-table mediocrity. Jose needs some aditions and we really need to get back up the table again , the only way to do this is to invest

Levy/Lewis need to dig some cash out , short-term it may hurt them but long-term it'll improve us and if this summer isn't adequate we are fucked.

Ok, I've come around. We really need to sign Eze.

It's obviously not our biggest need but his style of play would bring some life to the squad. He looks very impressive.

Pretty tenuous sense of "proof" tbf....

By "targeting"; despite the implications of your phrasing, I'm assuming that actually means we'd been scouting him since 2018 when he played against us.....

"Hey Jose you know you asked for X? Well we can't get him.... We've been scouting this guy at PSV though for a wile... What do you think? ....Fancy working with this kid"

Unthinkable, huh?

As I've alread pointed out a number of time, there's also been numeorus reports (including from players themselves) of Poch talking players into signing too....
So a player scouted under one manager is then purchased under another and that's tenuous?

The same report linked us to...Piatek at the same time, you know, the striker again linked to us in January.

Anyway, you've changed your tune, I posted the article up because you wanted proof back in January and you accepted it then, now you've changed your mind..

So a player scouted under one manager is then purchased under another and that's tenuous?

The same report linked us to...Piatek at the same time, you know, the striker again linked to us in January.

Anyway, you've changed your tune, I posted the article up because you wanted proof back in January and you accepted it then, now you've changed your mind..

I don't follow... Proof of what?

What does Piatek have to do with anything either...?

You're still not getting the basic point.... That we're scouting players over a long period of time is a good thing. That doesn't equate to thrusting players upon managers without their approval of said target.

Last edited:
Ok, I've come around. We really need to sign Eze.

It's obviously not our biggest need but his style of play would bring some life to the squad. He looks very impressive.
Welcome to the club
I actually feel like a CAM is more of a priority than people realise . Look at the decline in our attacking player/creativity against a low block (eg. Sheffield United)

Welcome to the club
I actually feel like a CAM is more of a priority than people realise . Look at the decline in our attacking player/creativity against a low block (eg. Sheffield United)

That's largely because Jose played a winger at CAM even though we had the option of:

Dele
Lamela
GLC
Ndombele

We've all seen the pics of HK, LM & SB all fighting over the same central space. No-one was dropping off deep to start the play.... It was all dribbling at CBs or running onto longer balls.

Last edited:
I don't follow... Proof of what?

What does Piatek have to do with anything either...?

You're still not getting the basic point.... That we're scouting player over a long period of time is a good thing. That doesn't equate to thrusting players upon managers without their approval of said target.
I'm fully getting the point...are you?

Why would a player scouted under a manager such as Poch be deemed suitable for Mourinho when they have different styles of play?

Why when we had funds to spend in January and the things Mourinho needed most was either a DM or a striker did we go for another attacking midfielder?

What does Piatek have to do with anything. We were scouting him in 2018 and we were again linked with him in January 2020 under a different manager.

How can a team change managers yet still apparently keep scouting the same players?

I'm fully getting the point...are you?

Not sure you are tbh. I feel you're just reaching to satisfy a preconcieved theory, but we push on....

Why would a player scouted under a manager such as Poch be deemed suitable for Mourinho when they have different styles of play?

Because player profile X may very well suit to more than one manager's ethos.... Both seem to like Kane, Son, Lucas etc etc etc. What is it about Bergwijn that would be so incompatible with Jose? He's a willing worker... Quick... Grabs the odd goal (most of which have been pivotal in gaining certain results so far).... The depth was welcome and proved very useful in the wake of Son's injury too.

God forbid we reflect upon it as a GOOD move? :roll:

Why when we had funds to spend in January and the things Mourinho needed most was either a DM or a striker did we go for another attacking midfielder?

Well if the news/rumour mill are to be believed we were also looking at strikers.... Why no DMs? Good question, but that need proceeds Jose anyway. I'd suggest we need to be scouting harder in that position; but to the orginal point about scouting.... It is a process; not an instantaneous reaction to a requirement (this is not to say emergency or kneejerk signings aren't a thing in the game).

What does Piatek have to do with anything. We were scouting him in 2018 and we were again linked with him in January 2020 under a different manager.

How can a team change managers yet still apparently keep scouting the same players?

Jose had only just arrived... But still, see above (and previous posts)...

That they are is arguably a GOOD thing.

Ultimately you've still yet to put forward a credible argument as to your assertion that managers are NOT approving these players.

If there is no clear and effective relationship between the scouts, directors, chairman and manager about what profiles, players, for what and when should be recruited - it simply can not work on the top level.

Our model is like that of United's or Barcelona's - power drunk lawyers without footballing knowledge buying whoever the fuck because of financials.

The manager has to have SOME input on who to buy or at least be part of choosing from a shortlist and developing the profile for the positions needed. Then the technical director/dof/scouting team finds players and Levy can try to get the 2 extra cents he so desperately wants. But Levy & Woodward just go and do whatever the fuck they want. And how well does it work? Proof's in the pudding innit. It's SHIT.

That's essentally what happens....

Can you please provide this contrary "proof" that you refer to.... Always keen to learn. :)

Back
Top Bottom