Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And that also means that Milik is done in Napoli. Now it seems it's us vs Juve vs Atleti for him to sign. We probably offer worst money, worst individual deal and ensured playing in Kane's shadow.
To be fair he'd be behind Ronaldo and Dybala at Juve, and Morata at Atleti. However, as you say, they'll offer higher wages and Juve offer a definite league title each year.

There were reports he wanted a move to England, but there are always reports of that.

The excuse of 'playing back up' only seems to affect us. Chelsea have 3 strikers, not one is bothered about playing back up. Liverpool have 2 strikers, Utd have 2.. I guess it comes down to the fact they are willing to pay big dollar to have the sit on the bench.

To be fair he'd be behind Ronaldo and Dybala at Juve, and Morata at Atleti. However, as you say, they'll offer higher wages and Juve offer a definite league title each year.

There were reports he wanted a move to England, but there are always reports of that.

The excuse of 'playing back up' only seems to affect us. Chelsea have 3 strikers, not one is bothered about playing back up. Liverpool have 2 strikers, Utd have 2.. I guess it comes down to the fact they are willing to pay big dollar to have the sit on the bench.

I read that he wants to stay in Italy. If Juve are in for him he will go there. Ronaldo, Milik, Dybala is a very potent front 3

So we are after one of Min Jae, or Ajer, or Kabak. Guaranteed we will pick the wrong one and he will perform like a lump of lard in our defence

Don't get me wrong, we do need a striker - but if we had £60,000,000 to spend, I'd much rather we looked to spend that on a DM and some full backs first.
Unless it was someone like Havertz who would start as a playmaker but be able to play up top if needed. He would probably be worth 60 million as he would solve 2 problems.

Min Jae will be the safest move for us considering the financial risk. His reselling and marketing value is at the top-notch amongst options we've got. We will no doubt recover the budget we spend on him.

Performance and quality-wise min-jae is far better than the other two. Trust me on this 90% ;)

Interesting article about McKennie. Sees himself as an 8. Seems to have the kind of character we need. Maybe a replacement for Lamela, Ndombele if one or both leave.

Unless it was someone like Havertz who would start as a playmaker but be able to play up top if needed. He would probably be worth 60 million as he would solve 2 problems.

But then we still have the problem of having Dier as a centre back, Davies and Aurier as our full backs and no defensive midfield with most of our budget gone.

How did he play?

Probably the most dangerous player on the pitch - they aimed to get him the ball at every opportunity because he had the beating of the full back every time. Completed 5 dribbles and was unlucky not to score when his strike hit the crossbar.

He'll be off to a bigger club in the summer. £15,000,000 release clause is peanuts for top clubs. If he stays in Portugal, I'd be amazed if Porto don't snap him up though I could also see a top German or Spanish club sign him in all honesty.

Will say this though, Florentino Luis HAS to be on our shortlist.

But then we still have the problem of having Dier as a centre back, Davies and Aurier as our full backs and no defensive midfield with most of our budget gone.

I don't think we are going to sign a LB, Mourinho is happy with Davies in that position and we have Sessegnon, Cirkin and Tanganga as well. RB is the biggest priority of the defensive positions because we don't even have a Davies-level player in that position.

Mou praised Davies yesterday saying "I always know what he is going to do" which is exactly the opposite of Aurier.

I don't think we are going to sign a LB, Mourinho is happy with Davies in that position and we have Sessegnon, Cirkin and Tanganga as well. RB is the biggest priority of the defensive positions because we don't even have a Davies-level player in that position.

Mou praised Davies yesterday saying "I always know what he is going to do" which is exactly the opposite of Aurier.

I assume if we do sign Castagne, he'd be potential left back depth too with him playing there plenty of times for Atalanta and being comfortable with both feet.

Said it in the Davies thread. Pretty average footballer, but he's probably our Paulo Ferreira. Dependable, reliable yet unspectacular.

Don't actually think Davies is any better than Aurier though. Just instructed to actually stay back because he's less of a threat going forward. Yes, even less of a threat than Aurier in Mourinhos eyes. If they were instructed to do the same stuff, Davies would be playing as a left winger, putting in awful crosses and leaving lots of space behind him that would see Winks dragged out of position.

What I'd want in this order is a CDM, RB, ST, LB, GK, CB.

What we'll get is a winger and a new beer glass that fills up from the side.

I don't personally get it - why do people put CB so far back of the list.

Do you guys rly want us to have 0 top quality CBs? Dier has been decent in recent games, but he has cruitial mistake in him. Same goes for Sanchez who falls asleep occasionally on the pitch, Toby as well has been good recently but looking at his form tradjectory - it is declining not improving and Tanganga who had some promising displays but is vastly inexperienced.

I would say that we'd be well stacked if we would buy someone who would lead our defense. CBs can bail us out from errors made by fullbacks but it does not work much vice versa. I get that CDM will support our defense and take some pressure off, but still.

For me it would be - CDM, CB, RB, ST, LB, (RB)
Exactly 5 players we need, while shipping on - Rose, Walker-Peters, Foyth, Aurier, Vertonghen and one from pair of Lamela-Moura.

Who to believe? Surely we wont sign two CBs?

Well one will definitely be signing as Vertonghen will be gone.

That leaves Alderweireld, Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga and Foyth.

We know Foyth is well out of favour and talks of him moving on (either on loan or permanent) are out there, so that brings us down to 4 centre halves.

Dier has 1 year left on his contract, if we aren't going to get him to sign a new one, then that means within a years time we'll be left with a 32 year old Toby Alderweireld, Davinson Sanchez and Japhet Tananga, who's development has probably been halted further by being 4th choice centre back.

Signing 2 centre backs isn't out of the realms of possibility.

I wouldn't even be against signing two new centre backs, moving on Vertonghen and sending both Foyth and Tanganga out on loan to Prem or Championship clubs to get full seasons experience under their belt and then re-evaluate on return.

Back
Top Bottom