Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh, I don't want to upset anyone now...

Most of our "central midfielders."

If you take our existing CM's for next year as :

Lo Celso
Ndombele
Winks
Skipp
plus one or more players who can play DM (per Bild)

Sissoko I am sure will be off, not sure he needs replacing as Mourhino says he's not great in CM and at RM only to utilise his powerful running.

with Dier likely to be a CB. but could play DM if required

Lo Celso
Ndombele
Winks
Skipp
plus one or more players who can play DM (per Bild)
As it stands, he'd be right up there with Lo Celso as one of our best options, although Ndombele is the most talented. The Winks experiment must end for me. And I smell a loan for Skipp, if Bild's detective work is to be believed.

They have made no mention of Willian, and it's an open secret that we have offered him a deal.

As it stands, he'd be right up there with Lo Celso as one of our best options, although Ndombele is the most talented. The Winks experiment must end for me. And I smell a loan for Skipp, if Bild's detective work is to be believed.

They have made no mention of Willian, and it's an open secret that we have offered him a deal.

Its easy to find 17 overseas trained players.

But you cant play a season with only 17 players - which is why we need Kane, Winks, Dele and other HG to get to a squad to play a full season of games in PL and europe.

Its easy to find 17 overseas trained players.

But you cant play a season with only 17 players - which is why we need Kane, Winks, Dele and other HG to get to a squad to play a full season of games in PL and europe.
Respectfully, we really need to move Dele and Winks on, and either pull up our boots where our academy is concerned, or stop buying rubbish.

The list from Bild didn't exactly give me an erection. Did it give you an erection?

Why Bild would know, I don't know, but here's the list @ £145m

Marcel Sabitzer (26).Leipzig Right Winger/forward
Youcef Atal (23), Nice, Right Back
Jamal Lewis (22) Norwich Left Back
Eder Militao (22) Real Madrid CB/RB/DM
Geoffrey Kondogbia (27) Valencia DM/CB/LB

I guess the last 2 are good from a versatility point of view - not sure Levy wouldn't be put off by Kondogbia's age as after 5 years he's 32, but with only one year left on his contract might be cheap ?.

Sabitzer doesn't seem a high enough goal scorer to be a deputy for Kane (or Son if he deputises for Kane), Maybe only in Bild's list as he scored twice against us ?). Not a great fan of Moura but not sure Sabitzer is an upgrade and think we could do better. Would probably go for the less experienced Eze (QPR) as home grown - think this list has too many overseas trained players and we'll struggle to get enough overseas trained players at Spurs to move on.

I know fuck all about Militao, seen little of him.

Sabitzer is a real grafter who is versatile with a bit of footballing ability and has recently been playing as a midfielder (in a CM2) for RBL, although can and was playing more as an AM earlier in the season. I think his versatility, energy and mentality will be appealing, and he can play a bit, I'd not mind this one at all, if it's value.

I've also not seen loads of Lewis, though he caught my eye in a couple of games, others who have seen more of him reckon he's not that great. I reckon there's better value to be had elsewhere.

Atal is a right lively fucker, would not mind this one either, but he's definitely better going forwards and still has learning to do defensively.

I've always quite liked Kondogbia, but I really think this ship should have sailed, he's decent enough (a kind of nearly but not quite as good as Matic in his prime type) but never quite hit the heights his potential suggested and at 27 there's no footballing improvement or inherent value in the deal.

Last edited:

Why Bild would know, I don't know, but here's the list @ £145m

Marcel Sabitzer (26).Leipzig Right Winger/forward
Youcef Atal (23), Nice, Right Back
Jamal Lewis (22) Norwich Left Back
Eder Militao (22) Real Madrid CB/RB/DM
Geoffrey Kondogbia (27) Valencia DM/CB/LB

I guess the last 2 are good from a versatility point of view - not sure Levy wouldn't be put off by Kondogbia's age as after 5 years he's 32, but with only one year left on his contract might be cheap ?.

Sabitzer doesn't seem a high enough goal scorer to be a deputy for Kane (or Son if he deputises for Kane), Maybe only in Bild's list as he scored twice against us ?). Not a great fan of Moura but not sure Sabitzer is an upgrade and think we could do better. Would probably go for the less experienced Eze (QPR) as home grown - think this list has too many overseas trained players and we'll struggle to get enough overseas trained players at Spurs to move on.

That doesn't feel like £145m well spent. I would only go for Sabitzer and Lewis, if the latter doesn't have some chronic knee injury.

Respectfully, we really need to move Dele and Winks on, and either pull up our boots where our academy is concerned, or stop buying rubbish.

The list from Bild didn't exactly give me an erection. Did it give you an erection?

Certainly no erections from me over that list.

Academy players are fine and plenty of overseas coaches saying talent from UK's academies are as good or better than most overseas academies. Problem is for players from English academies getting playing time from 18 - 21 to develop - and its that which has screwed Spurs academy players for most of the last 5 years. And it generally takes a couple of years experiene to bridge that gap to first team......think Tanganga is the first time to jump straight from u23's to first team (albeit with a preseason with first team) for a very long time.

Will Mourhino have the balls to try out a couple of other academy lads (maybe after a preseason) in the u23's ?

Certainly stop a need to buy squad players at £x million, and focus money on buying quality players..

I know fuck all about Militao, seen little of him.

Sabitzer is a real grafter who is versatile with a bit of footballing ability and has recently been playing as a midfielder (in a CM2) for RBL, although can and was playing more as an AM earlier in the season. I think his versatility, energy and mentality will be appealing, and he can play a bit, I'd not mind this one at all, if it's value.

I've also not seen loads of Lewis, though he caught my eye in a couple of games, others who have seen more of him reckon he's not that great. I reckon there's better value to be had elsewhere.

Atal is a right lively fucker, would not mind this one either, but he's definitely better going forwards and still has learning to do defensively.

I've always quite liked Kondogbia, but I really think this ship should have sailed, he's decent enough (a kind of nearly but not quite as good as Matic in his prime type) but never quite hit the heights his potential suggested and at 27 there's no footballing improvement or inherent value in the deal.

Atal was badly injured in December (rumours were it stopped us bidding in January) and not due back until end of May.

Would you risk buying him without seeing him in a couple of games to see if he's recovered - without missing pace or other attributes he had pre-injury ?

Atal was badly injured in December (rumours were it stopped us bidding in January) and not due back until end of May.

Would you risk buying him without seeing him in a couple of games to see if he's recovered - without missing pace or other attributes he had pre-injury ?

Yeah I know about the injury, fair point. Not sure. I guess he'd have to pass a pretty stringent medical, and I'm guessing the deal might reflect the situation, ie lost of add ons?

Only saw Atal once. He was remarkably bad, and was subbed off after about 55 mins.

When was this? How bad ? Attacking, defensively, both ?

I've seen him quite a few times. I remember flagging him up first time I saw him live, looked really good going forward but less convincing defensively. But he was playing mostly as a RWB early on in Vieira's CB3 system, but then this season he was mostly playing in a back four as a more orthodox but attacking RB, he's clearly still got learning to do, but he's a lively fucker, very quick, dribbles at defenders, very direct.

I think he's quite similar to Aarons, from what I've seen, but would cost about a third of the price?

Hakimi would be the dream, but that's pretty unlikely.

TBF Byram did an okay job as a LB. A pundit on danish tv said he had heard rumours, that Lewis has porous knee/knees. Don't know this type of injury, but doesn't sound too good. I did a quick google search at the time but couldn't find anything
There are so many things wrong with Norwich. One massive issue is they have almost zero width, and playing him at LB was a big factor in that (being that he is right-footed).

When I had a look at Lewis against Leicester, he looked like he was almost incapable of passing a football. One of the Northern Irish guys here said he is nothing more than an athlete.

When was this? How bad ? Attacking, defensively, both ?

I've seen him quite a few times. I remember flagging him up first time I saw him live, looked really good going forward but less convincing defensively. But he was playing mostly as a RWB early on in Vieira's CB3 system, but then this season he was mostly playing in a back four as a more orthodox but attacking RB, he's clearly still got learning to do, but he's a lively fucker, very quick, dribbles at defenders, very direct.

I think he's quite similar to Aarons, from what I've seen, but would cost about a third of the price?

Hakimi would be the dream, but that's pretty unlikely.

I've never been too impressed with Atal and that's down to his lack of defensive abilities. We've already got one RB who can't defend, that ought to be enough.

I understand why ppl get impressed by his YT videos, but i really don't care how many players he's nutmegged, that's not gonna win us games (at least I don't think so).

I'd say Aarons is a better defender and his his price may be foreseeable should Norwich end up going down. Yes, Hakimi would be better than both of them

Back
Top Bottom