Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Respectfully, we really need to move Dele and Winks on, and either pull up our boots where our academy is concerned, or stop buying rubbish.

The list from Bild didn't exactly give me an erection. Did it give you an erection?
Happy to discuss erections.

I love Sabitzer. Such a versatile midfielder. I have even seen him slot in as a RWB.
Oh, I don't want to upset anyone now...

Most of our "central midfielders."

Quiet day, so gone back to an earlier post !

Sabitzer might be one that you think is a good buy, but he's the only one who looks like a forward player - and for that he's sadly not good enough in that role - and here's why

In the last 5 years ish we have had 4 players who were regularly getting 20 goals or assists each season - Kane, Son, Eriksen and Dele. And that's one of the main reasons we looked good in PL, and even CL, our front 4 were pretty much as good or better than any other front 4.

However loooking at next season :

Kane - still a top striker but based on last few seasons injuries, we need to plan for him not being available for say 20% to 30% of the games - 12 to 18 games a season. That means missing a lot of goals in particular

Son - With Kane probably our 2 near world class players. Great as a wide forward and can replace Kane as the main forward, but when he does that the opposition know he's the main threat so he's less effective, we need others to be available to worry the opposition.

Eriksen - Gone !

Dele - Hasn't been the sane for a year or so, but flashes of the old Dele at the start of Mourhino's tenure. Hopefully recovers the form which has got him 50 PL goals at age 23.

Moura - Plays with his head down so no surprise he's only registered about 4 assists in his Spurs career, and 23 goals in 65 appearances means he's a 1 in 3 games goalscorer, which is 'ok.' but not as good as the players he needs to replace.

Lamela - Always injured so not reliable as to when he will be fit, and when he is fit his Spurs record of 33 goals in 146 appearances means he is not scoring at a rate we need.

Sessegnon - Arrived injured and has had a difficult first season. Not convinced he'll be a top forward, maybe a LB, but certainly not one to rely on next season for goals and assists.

Bergwijn - Only played 6 games before injury so not reasonable to assess him. But in Netherlands he has getting about 1 goal in 4 games and similar numbers of assists meaning close to 1 in 2 goals and assists combined. So I'm hopeful the 22 year old may step up, but its clearly a risk.

Lo Celso - Love the player but he doesn't score that many or create that many assists, he's more a player to create the chances for the assist maker.

Parrott - Next season he may be loaned out of it may be his break out season, and 'break out' at aged 18 means something like 20 appearances with half of these being starts and less than 10 goals. So great potential but not an answer for next season.

So next season we have Kane and Son (but they cant play every game) and then making do with either Bergwijn or Moura on the right wing, with either Dele or Lo Celso as no 10, with Parrott, Sessegnon and Lamela available.

So one of the players we need to buy (alongside DM, CB, FB's) is a goalscorer, whether playing as a striker (but how we rotate him and Kane is clearly an issue unless Kane plays as no 10) or a winger/striker.

That might mean sacrificing Moura and Lamela, but for the right player we should be a lot stronger.

Whilst we need to strengthen our defensive options, if we don't bring in another goalscorer we will struggle to score the goals to win enough games.

So a CM/AM like Sabitzer isn't any part of the answer for that, if he's bought it has to be as a cm or dm and probably only if Ndombele is sold (as Sabitzer would want to be first choice.

And with another overseas trained player coming in we will need to review how to increase our HG options and prioritise which other positions we fill with overseas trained players as it wont be easy to offload many of our existing overseas trained players.

Sabitzer might be one that you think is a good buy, but he's the only one who looks like a forward player - and for that he's sadly not good enough in that role - and here's why
I'll begin by saying that Bild's list is extremely underwhelming, and does not address some of the glaring deficiencies we have. If you gave me £150m to spend, plus whatever we took in from player sales, I would never make it my business to buy Sabitzer. I like his high-intensity style and he poses the same kind of goal threat that Eriksen used to, but he is not a player who can run a game or pick a team apart with his vision and range of passing.
Dele - Hasn't been the sane for a year or so, but flashes of the old Dele at the start of Mourhino's tenure. Hopefully recovers the form which has got him 50 PL goals at age 23.
This will most likely offend you, Spursidol Spursidol , but I think you make too many excuses for English players. You need to become more like me. Embrace your inner psychopath, and throw anyone who has a shoddy touch and anything less than one wing mirror under the bus.
Lo Celso - Love the player but he doesn't score that many or create that many assists, he's more a player to create the chances for the assist maker.
I think you have got this guy wrong. I think he has the ability to be a killer in the final third, and I expect to see that from him, although that's more likely to happen when we can bench the Low-IQ guys, and our coach doesn't leave it to the players to improvise the bulk of our attacking play.
So one of the players we need to buy (alongside DM, CB, FB's) is a goalscorer, whether playing as a striker (but how we rotate him and Kane is clearly an issue unless Kane plays as no 10) or a winger/striker.
This is one of the issues I have with the list. Where is the wing-forward/striker we are crying out for?
So a CM/AM like Sabitzer isn't any part of the answer for that, if he's bought it has to be as a cm or dm and probably only if Ndombele is sold (as Sabitzer would want to be first choice.
I agree. I see him as a CM. I would be crestfallen if we let Ndombele go. I would rather Mourinho left, and we hired Nagelsmann. His Leipzig side are exceptionally well organised, but they lack technical quality. I would like to see what he could do with some of our gems.

This is one of the issues I have with the list. Where is the wing-forward/striker we are crying out for?

VtviAqM.jpg

20m last summer. 20 fucking mil. 10m less than fucking Sissoko. 5m less than pea brain Moura.

I'll begin by saying that Bild's list is extremely underwhelming, and does not address some of the glaring deficiencies we have. If you gave me £150m to spend, plus whatever we took in from player sales, I would never make it my business to buy Sabitzer. I like his high-intensity style and he poses the same kind of goal threat that Eriksen used to, but he is not a player who can run a game or pick a team apart with his vision and range of passing.

This will most likely offend you, Spursidol Spursidol , but I think you make too many excuses for English players. You need to become more like me. Embrace your inner psychopath, and throw anyone who has a shoddy touch and anything less than one wing mirror under the bus.

I think you have got this guy wrong. I think he has the ability to be a killer in the final third, and I expect to see that from him, although that's more likely to happen when we can bench the Low-IQ guys, and our coach doesn't leave it to the players to improvise the bulk of our attacking play.

I agree. I see him as a CM. I would be crestfallen if we let Ndombele go. I would rather Mourinho left, and we hired Nagelsmann. His Leipzig side are exceptionally well organised, but they lack technical quality. I would like to see what he could do with some of our gems.

No excuses for English players required.

Most European coaches are delighted to have them as the standard of footballers coming out of the academies is very good, and arguably better than most European countries - a huge change from say 10 years ago when your stance might have been understood, so think you are now out of date - but it doesn't mean that every player out of the academies are good but a fair number are.

However looking at the Spurs academy, after the lack of players getting chances in Spurs first team Spurs former u16 captain, Noni Mandueke, declined a scholarship at Spurs and joined PSV where he has made his first start and a couple of appearances in their first team aged 17 - and is looked on as gradually being Steven Bergwijn's long term replacement, over the heads of the other PSV youngsters - and PSV have a very decent academy.

England won the u17 world cup a couple of years ago and a number of the players winning that have had success at club level. However of the two Spurs players there Tashan Oakley Boothe looked excellent for Spurs in preseason 2017 but after that trained with the first team picking up a number of injuries as a result of Poch's intensive training and returned to play u23 football a much less confident and less able player than he was before WCu17, TJ Eyoma again looked very good in preseason 2018 , but again fell into the abyss of first team training without playing and again retuned to u23's a year later looking the shell of his former self. Both aged 19 and destroyed by the lack of development.

Japhet Tanganga went to preseason 2019, looked excellent and trained with the first team but only played for Poch v Colchester. Fortunately Mourhino played Tanganga in the first team and it looks as if we have a real player on our hands - injuries this season made Mourhino try Tanganga, but Poch didn't despite similar injury issues.

So the issue very simply is the incompetent development plan (or not) that Spurs have had in place for players from 18 to 21. It might take a year or two to rectify and bring players through (as there's only a few over 20 who might make it after 2 have been destroyed by the Poch system, so the next ones might be those aged 18/19) but then we should have a few more coming through so we bring some into the squad. Some will remain as squad players (like the John O'Shea and others brought through) and others may be sold on as there are others coming through who may be better - but the last group developed pre Poch brought in £100m+ which is rather useful as a transfer fund..

You say about Sabitzer ' I think he has the ability to be a killer in the final third, and I expect to see that from him' but I want someone pretty much ready made if they are overseas trained - there are only 17 slots available and we cant take chances on another N'Jie, N'Koudou who might turn good and at aged 26 I'd not expect Sabitzer to suddenly improve in final third. Happy to buy him if he's a top CM and there is a spare CM slot but not for a speculative AM. I'd much prefer the home grown Eze

I'd also prefer Ndombele to come good but if Barcelona offered us our money back, I might be very tempted to consider and replace him as he seems to have a track record of needing a kick up the arse before he plays at his best (which he got before his Lyon transformation) and I am not sure Spurs can necessarily give it to him.

I'm not wedded to Mourhino as the style of his football is not something I want at Spurs but I think he'll be here next season and hope he really has changed his style of football,. Really don't see it as Ndombele staying/Mourhino leaving, I rather think that if Mourhino leaves the next coach would have similar problems with Ndombele with Ndombele (or his advisors) thinking, we saw off the last guy so no need to really change our ways as he wont last either.

Here we go. And this from the guy who is crying about Aouar being defensively lightweight.

Aouar's a midfielder, Fekir's a forward, and better without the ball than limp biscuits like Son and Bergwijn for example. And unlike Bergwijn, Moura, Alli and Son he doesn't have his phaser set to fucking bumble every week. The cunt produces. Has a fucking brain. Some composure.

And he was 20 fucking mil. And he can play striker too.

Aouar's a midfielder, Fekir's a forward, and better without the ball than limp biscuits like Son and Bergwijn for example. And unlike Bergwijn, Moura, Alli and Son he doesn't have his phaser set to fucking bumble every week. The cunt produces. Has a fucking brain. Some composure.

And he was 20 fucking mil. And he can play striker too.
Fekir looks like a python that swallowed a water buffalo. And on one of our favourite football podcasts, he was referred to as a player who turns up when he feels like it; typically for the late evening kick-offs.

I think you misunderstood me. I think you make excuses for senior English players, Spursidol, of whom Alli is one.

I was saying that about GLC.

I think we are almost certain to sign him.

Dele has clearly not been focussed on his performances at Spurs for a year or more. At 22/23 was clearly misled into thinking he could both be a football player (earning £m's) and a fashion icon (earning £ms).

I was pleased to see an interview a few months ago when he said he had given up the fashion stuff and was focusing on football - but staggered the coaches hadn't dealt with that a year or so ago. In any business if an employee is being distracted and not putting the effort in, its up to management to find out (gently) the reasons and re-orientate the employee.

At age 23, every chance Dele will come back if he's properly managed, and to have got 50 goals by that age shows he has something most others dont.

If he doesn't get back to his former form he goes.

But we are short of HG players both bought in (only Dele and u21 Sessegnon, assuming Rose leaves) and after a disastrous experiment over 5 years of 'developing' 18 to 21 year olds which was against every other youth development methods I've ever encountered whether in football or outside. So we don't have that many short term options.

Dele has clearly not been focussed on his performances at Spurs for a year or more. At 22/23 was clearly misled into thinking he could both be a football player (earning £m's) and a fashion icon (earning £ms).

I was pleased to see an interview a few months ago when he said he had given up the fashion stuff and was focusing on football - but staggered the coaches hadn't dealt with that a year or so ago. In any business if an employee is being distracted and not putting the effort in, its up to management to find out (gently) the reasons and re-orientate the employee.

At age 23, every chance Dele will come back if he's properly managed, and to have got 50 goals by that age shows he has something most others dont.

If he doesn't get back to his former form he goes.

But we are short of HG players both bought in (only Dele and u21 Sessegnon, assuming Rose leaves) and after a disastrous experiment over 5 years of 'developing' 18 to 21 year olds which was against every other youth development methods I've ever encountered whether in football or outside. So we don't have that many short term options.
Did you see the latest quotes from KWP? Most peculiar.

Fekir looks like a python that swallowed a water buffalo. And on one of our favourite football podcasts, he was referred to as a player who turns up when he feels like it; typically for the late evening kick-offs.

If you ignore the 15/16 season he fucked his knee, he's averaged a goal/assist every 129 minutes the last five years. Not to shabby for a buffalo who's phoning it in?

“I think had [Pochettino} stayed, I’d still be at Tottenham,” Walker-Peters states.

“He was never really big on loans. There were always opportunities for him to send me on loan and he never did, so I think that showed his faith in me.

“Despite not playing me all the time, it showed that he wanted me around. If he hadn’t left, I don’t think I’d be on loan, so it just shows how fast football can change.

“Mourinho comes in and I get to play one game, but I don’t really get an opportunity like I thought I would, in terms of two or three games rotating with Serge Aurier, but the manager has to make decisions. That was his decision, so that’s fine."

“I think had [Pochettino} stayed, I’d still be at Tottenham,” Walker-Peters states.

“He was never really big on loans. There were always opportunities for him to send me on loan and he never did, so I think that showed his faith in me.

“Despite not playing me all the time, it showed that he wanted me around. If he hadn’t left, I don’t think I’d be on loan, so it just shows how fast football can change.

“Mourinho comes in and I get to play one game, but I don’t really get an opportunity like I thought I would, in terms of two or three games rotating with Serge Aurier, but the manager has to make decisions. That was his decision, so that’s fine."

Bizarre

Poch constantly having his arm round players was great to see, but not sending KWP out on loan and not playing him was just crazy. Doesn't sound as if KWP is that bright or ambitious though

Back
Top Bottom