Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seen some things on Eze pop up recently and for me he is a player who would geniunely excite me
Just like Grealish , he's a championship CAM but he's also regarded as 'the best /most talented player' and Spurs really can't miss out on another one again
With 1 year left , Levy can offer a small cash sum and then loan him back to QPR , it means they don't lose him on a free but he still gets to play for them and help them , it also makes sense as it means he gains more experience.

The caped academy crusader makes his appearance. Welcome BC. Let me take your arguments as bulletpoints:

1. They wouldn't buy if they thought they had what they needed in-house so the money issue is moot
  2. Plenty? There is a time limit on everything and academy players age out. No one's got time to wait forever for these things BC. We've gone over this before, again and again and again.
  3. And neither were better than Walker so they were vying for backup. And Naughton had perceived value because of his 'ability' to play on the left I presume. But we don't know what the evaluations said of those two players back then do we? So also moot.
I also made some pretty ironclad points up there BC. You saw no merit there?

Yes I did, the post of yours above I put a “like” on made plenty of sense. Some of the issue has been not so much the evaluation of academy player X,Y or Z so much as thevaluation verses flawed evaluation of the option we have chosen to purchase and place ahead of them in the trial and error order.

Your notion of “if they are good enough they will get chances” is one of football’s many bullshit cliches.

Is Jadon Sancho less viable than Rihad Mahrez?

Managers in affluent leagues would much rather risk an (often ordinary or flawed) known, matches on the clock, player than an academy kid with none or hardly any. It’s often not a simple case of a raw ability but of the evaluation of value of experience in the equation. Personally I think experience is sometimes over valued in that evaluation.

Kids need to play games to develop, to prove their viability, but how do they do that if they aren’t trusted in the first place. If you don’t trust them, then don’t keep them hanging around after they are 18/19. Release them or loan them.

You Also keep reeling out the old chestnut about “what have they gone on to achieve” continually ignoring that most of the players we buy often aren’t going to go on and achieve anything orgasmic either.

I’m not an academy crusader, I’m a let’s stop wasting money and make better use of our resources crusader.

The problem with Hakimi is the fact that he is moving to Inter, currently the third club in Serie A - the fourth league in Europe. I would understand if we 'lost' him to a club like Bayern, City, PSG... Or Madrid, obviously. What frustrates me is to see a club that is not bigger than us getting a player that would easily be our first choice as a RB - a position that we definitely need to improve.

Last edited:
Your notion of “if they are good enough they will get chances” is one of football’s many bullshit cliches.
Just stating it does not dispel it's wisdom BC. You actually have to support your argument and not just call something 'bullshit'; ridicule =/= refutation.

Is Jadon Sancho less viable than Rihad Mahrez?
He was back then and if we'd queried BC of season's past and we could tie that slithery bastard down he would say so himself. And besides, Pep thought so and that is all that matters since his balls were on the block. And beyond that I wouldn't have either in my personal team of all MFers.

Managers in affluent leagues would much rather risk an (often ordinary or flawed) known, matches on the clock, player than an academy kid with none or hardly any. It’s often not a simple case of a raw ability but of the evaluation of value of experience in the equation. Personally I think experience is sometimes over valued in that evaluation.
I would argue that most sane people with their nuts on the chopping block would go with known quantities. This isn't revolutionary stuff. But in your Rumsfeldian wisdom are you saying you'd prefer known-unknowns or unknown-unknowns? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I know what I'd prefer, talent. Like Gio Reyna who came into BVB U19s as a known-unknown this summer and rocketed his way to the first team. Do you know why he did that BC? It wasn't because he was given games or because he had experience or whatever. It was because he was fucking good, too good to keep out of the side. No loans to get games etc etc etc just pure talent. We got any of them in our academy? Any of them tearing it up BC? You know, in a way that says I'm ready for the step-up. I have been dutifully informed by one of your comrades in academy arms that we lost tons of world class talents that will soon be tearing it up in leagues throughout Europe because of Poch and his stupid face...and manners...and methods. But now that he's gone I'm assuming we got some that are gonna make Reyna look like Kyle Naughton. Got any names for me?

Kids need to play games to develop, to prove their viability, but how do they do that if they aren’t trusted in the first place. If you don’t trust them, then don’t keep them hanging around after they are 18/19. Release them or loan them.
See my Reyna example above.

You Also keep reeling out the old chestnut about “what have they gone on to achieve” continually ignoring that most of the players we buy often aren’t going to go on and achieve anything orgasmic either.
First off I'm not sure I've ever had chestnuts, young or old. Are you arguing for me at this point BC? How in the ever-loving-frick am I ignoring that which has been the crux of my argument over and over with you? We buy turds and try to polish them. That is why they don't develop in any reasonable time period. They weren't good to begin with. I'm ignoring this? I have said this multiple times to you and finally you have decided to evolve your perspective and admit it. As a matter of fact I just said the turd polishing point in PM before seeing your post. You've conveniently and continually ignored this turd point, not me. So since you now admit that little is ventured then we should not waste too much time worrying about them when they don't make it. If we actually start spending money on good raw materials then we can waste time worrying if they don't make it. Logical conclusion and thank you for agreeing with me.

I’m not an academy crusader, I’m a let’s stop wasting money and make better use of our resources crusader.
So you just play one on TV?:sonpoint: Tomato 'Tomahto'.

And as I've said earlier the disconnect isn't identifying that a certain academy player ain't got it since (paraphrasing your own words) most are shit. The problem is the identification of new, external talent. That is where the waste is so perhaps you should focus your keen insights on that instead of championing the non-orgasmic turds in the academy. We could have tried for Gio this summer...it would have cost Levy actual Pounds - you know, those things that he is loath to spend on actual academy players since the risk is so high and it doesn't go on a balance sheet. Then we'd be on to something.

Last edited:
Player swap with Dele Alli :levyeyes:
tumblr_mnzywoPGAo1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom