Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate our window

• 10/10

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • 09/10

Votes: 144 53.7%
  • 08/10

Votes: 78 29.1%
  • 07/10

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • 06/10

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 05/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 04/10

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 03/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 02/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 01/10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
EjpmvPXXsAAlwho

This is how I've assessed it.

A. Did we address a positional/remit need
B. Quality of that purchase
C. Value
D. Potential

E. Overall

1. "6"

A 6 with good athletic, technical, mental, strong defensive/without the ball qualities, some press resistance, who could also play football.

Our answer was to buy Hojbjerg, who I personally think is a massively compromised solution on all the above criteria, who has glaring weaknesses in his game, and that game has not been fundamentally as a "6" either. Time will tell, if he can be converted into a more disciplined, orthodox type 6 who can improve various facets of his game I'll happily eat my words. The upside is he only cost us 17m and most of that was offset by moving KWP the other way, but for that value of deal this would have been a 3/4 out of 10 for me.

A. 4/10
B. 4/10
C. 8/10
D. 5/10

E. 5.25/10

2. LB

A LB who can contribute to game play and attacking play who can at least defend competently.

Reguilon ticks most of those boxes in at least attitude. The boy has bundles of confidence and enthusiasm. And if you'd only watched his post lock down Europa games you might think 30m was well justified. Having watched 2/3 of his games prior to that (as we'd been linked) I was less impressed with the reality, especially at 30m, when there were other equally viable options out there IMO that would have cost us a third. His technical ability can get bit flustered under pressure, and defensively he can be a bit erratic. his end product when attacking can also be a bit erratic, sometimes very good, sometimes less so, but at least he does contribute and has good energy. I don't think he's the best, or best value we could have brought in, but at least this has addressed a major need with a viable young option who has upside potential.

A. 10
B. 6
C. 4
D. 8

E. 7/10

3. AM

An attacking player who could bring some intelligence and composure to what is generally a bumbling erratic bunch.

I guess many will say Bale ticks that box with aplomb. And I get why, on a name only basis, many will give this a 10. I'm much, much less impressed with PR signings like this, I thought our days of trying to sign geriatric Rivaldos was long gone. I'd much rather invest in the future, by some potential, add some footballing and fiscal value. Even in his prime Bale was not a team player, lazy without the ball (possibly why Zidane won't tolerate him) and that prime was like 5-6 years ago. Constantly injured, we've bought a 31yo player who's game entirely relied on explosive qualities that stretch muscles to capacity. And he already won't even be available for the one to two months of the season.

A. 8
B. 8
C. 4
D. 1

E. 5.25/10

4. RB

Again, sorry to piss on chips, but I do not think a 29yo Doherty is in any tangible way a meaningful upgrade on Aurier. I wish, if we couldn't find a quantifiable upgrade (and I accept on this one there weren't a plethora of options out there) we'd just given Aurier a new deal and tried to find a young RB to be his understudy/rotation. A 29yo who has spent the last few years in a back 5, seems like an odd choice for us, even under Mourinho's lopsided system. 17m is not a kings ransom, and I guess we've added squad depth, but we've effectively just swapped 23yo KWP as rotation option for 29yo Doherty.

A. 7
B. 5
C. 5
D. 1

4.5/10

5. Striker/Attacker

I would much preferred us to bring in a player who can play 9, but also play as a wide attacker/AM. Giving the squad more versatility and making it more likely we will get value out of the signing. There were players out there who fitted that remit. One of them I mooted often, scored 2 this weekend playing as a AM (and is also a Mendes client). I know absolutely fuck all about Vinicius, watched Benfica a couple of times when were linked with Diaz but didn't pay much attention to Vinicius, so in terms of "B" am going to give him a guestimation mark based on what he's done and where he's done it and bits of YT (and will air on the side of generosity)

A. 7
B. 6
C. 5 (based on Buy clause)
D. 5

E. 5.75

6. CB/LCB
We needed a CB with good physicality and mobility, but also with a bit of technical ability to replace what Vertonghen brought. He doesn't have to be a LCB per se, but must be comfortable enough to play both positions preferably.

0/10 (so far).

Ignoring the CB issue, which was least of the priorities this summer I guess, and we may still address that, and ignoring the (diabolical) signing of Hart as I didn't see it as a massive priority anyway and didn't rate Gazzaniga either, I make it an average score of:

A. Did we address a positional/remit need - 7.2/10
B. Quality of that purchase - 5.8/10
C. Value - 5.2/10
D. Potential - 4/10

Overall 5.55/10

I appreciate some of those may go up with time, and some may go down depending on what happens in the next 12 months onwards etc. Just how I see it right now based on everything we know (and don't know).

Last edited:
7/10

Hart - OK glad we didn't get rid of gazza.
Doherty - like for like with Aurier. Good to have two in that position.
Reguilon- Great. Will turn out to be the star signing. Brings much needed balance to the team and this transforms us as an attacking threat. V worried that they'll exercise the buy back and we will lose him.
Doherty - looks good, but i'd have preferred a full on DM.
Vinni - Not sure. Cant see that he's going to get the chance to make enough impact for us to pay £38m for him. But thank god we have got a striker in. Hope he gets lots of 30m sub appearances in order to rest Harry.
Bale - tbh I have no idea what we are getting here. Potentially the steal of the century. Alternatively glass ankles and a bench warmer. We are waiting with bated breath.

As i said disappointed we didn't get a DM. Jose obviously feels that he needs a CB. so its a bit of a shame those two weren't sorted.
I'd like to have seen a few more going out, but partly that's the market. Dele in particular, one of either coco or lucas, and bergwein could all have gone for me.

Much more solid depth to the team now. IF it all clicks then we could see something very special this season. But as others have said, we need to judge them in a year.

Those that have already voted 10/10 would increase 10.5/10

And we can only assume that if we'd signed Skriniar, they'd already be 11/10

I voted 10/10 simply because our transfer window was amazing and I honestly can't see us doing better, probably ever.

If 10/10 is some kind of absolute zero can never get there type thing then I vote for 9.99- this is the best xfer window I think we will ever have.

The Bale signing for me is the only possible bad deal, but it is understandable why it happened. Hope that the Hart signing proves to be wise. Not fussed about a CB, but would have given maximum marks if more players had been shipped out or sent on loan

8/10. Recent performances aside, just can't give 10/10 to any window that involves Super Jan exiting the club.

Also just can't believe this is the group of CBs Jose thinks can win a title. Feels like we need at least one rock there to lean on...not sure Toby is up to that brief these days or if Sanchez is ready to step up to that, but hope to be proven wrong.

Hart - 5/10

Homegrown, upgrade on Vorm and probably level with Gazzaniga much more dressing room influence too.

Reguilon - 9/10

Massive upgrade to our first XI. Two of his recovery runs have reminded me of prime Walker, the first against Hudson Odoi and one againts Greenford or Rashford on Sunday. He's started against two of the trickiest wingers in the league and probably the best one on one defender in Wan Bissaka and has looked very comfortable. I expect him to be special. Only downside is Madrid might steal him from us.

Hojbjerg - 8/10

Insane value. Captain material with good pedigree from Bayern. Brings much needed discipline and aggression to our midfield. The only ball winner we have. He's a unique player for us now and I think we will notice the impact if we ever have to play a run of games without him.

Doherty - 7/10

Great value for a proven premier league full back in his prime. Obviously adds another dimension to our attacking play but question marks over his defensive ability. Will bring the best out of Aurier and gives great rotation options.

Bale - 10/10

It's Gareth Bale ffs.

Vinicius - ?

Complete unknown for me so can't give a rating. Impressive last season for Benfica and high on Mourinho's list so thats enough for me. Looks a big presence and will offer us something very difference to our current crop of attackers. Most importantly, allows us to rest Kane and Son and still maintain a coherent attacking structure.

Mourinho is being given more financial support than Poch though... I think Poch had every right to bitch over those windows where we did not strengthen.
I think the implication is that the level of financial support available from the club was similar, but Pochettino was unyielding on his targets, which led to unfruitful windows when those deals were unable to be completed. Mourinho shows more flexibility, and thus we're seeing more results.

There's been a lot of rumour that Poch was very stubborn and began to look at the relationship more one sided after his new contract.

I think the implication is that the level of financial support available from the club was similar, but Pochettino was unyielding on his targets, which led to unfruitful windows when those deals were unable to be completed. Mourinho shows more flexibility, and thus we're seeing more results.

There's been a lot of rumour that Poch was very stubborn and began to look at the relationship more one sided after his new contract.
Makes sense.
Poch didn't want a DoF and Levy complied. So it seems that our transfer policy then was the same as now;
Poch/Jose tells scouts (Hitchen) what type of player and in which position they want.
Scouts (Hitchen) identifies players under the financials that Levy puts down.
Presents the players to Poch/Jose for approval.
Levy does, or doesn't, do the deal depending on the selling club/player.
Maybe Poch turned down those players.

Let's not forget that Poch was given £450m to spend on players in 5 years.

I would argue that this has been the best and most problem solving as well as strengthening window we’ve had. Pragmatic and very methodical in how we approached it by both in management as well as Jose being open to options and ideas. I think he’s said many times, he likes the structure here and I think it has worked out well.

I would have given it a 10/10 if we got Skriniar in but a solid 9/10. If we get a competent CB or two in before the close of the window for deals with EFLclubs, I will up my rating slightly:)

Milan Škriniar is a Slovak professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur and the Slovak national team. Wikipedia

(when you click on Wiki link the truth is revealed; someone jumped the gun)

Back
Top Bottom