Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate our window

• 10/10

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • 09/10

Votes: 144 53.7%
  • 08/10

Votes: 78 29.1%
  • 07/10

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • 06/10

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 05/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 04/10

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 03/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 02/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 01/10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mourinho is being given more financial support than Poch though... I think Poch had every right to bitch over those windows where we did not strengthen.

Only if he played no part in the failure to bring anyone in...... Suggestions that there was in fact money to spend would reflect otherwise.

I think the implication is that the level of financial support available from the club was similar, but Pochettino was unyielding on his targets, which led to unfruitful windows when those deals were unable to be completed. Mourinho shows more flexibility, and thus we're seeing more results.

There's been a lot of rumour that Poch was very stubborn and began to look at the relationship more one sided after his new contract.
As a side note, did any hear Redknapp on transfer deadline day re- Hazard ?

Basically he was saying that a deal was done for him, but Hazard was waiting as he wanted CL football.
We finished 4th, but Chelski won the CL, so he joined them instead.

Earlier this week, Harry Redknapp spoke to Sky Sports about Tottenham's chances of winning the league under Jose Mourinho. He said: "You need a bunch of great forward players to win the league and Spurs have Bale, Kane and Son, so I definitely think they can do it this year." The 73-year-old added that he had Bale in his Tottenham squad in 2012 and wanted Eden Hazard to link up with the Welshman to give a Spurs a chance at ending their drought for a league title.

Redknapp continued: "We had seen him (Eden Hazard) at Lille and he was our top target in the summer. He wanted to play Champions League football and we had finished fourth, while Chelsea finished in sixth. But then, Chelsea won the Champions League and took our spot in the competition next season." Redknapp concluded by stating that if Chelsea hadn't won the Champions League that year, he would have signed Eden Hazard at Spurs.

As a side note, did any hear Redknapp on transfer deadline day re- Hazard ?

Basically he was saying that a deal was done for him, but Hazard was waiting as he wanted CL football.
We finished 4th, but Chelski won the CL, so he joined them instead.

Earlier this week, Harry Redknapp spoke to Sky Sports about Tottenham's chances of winning the league under Jose Mourinho. He said: "You need a bunch of great forward players to win the league and Spurs have Bale, Kane and Son, so I definitely think they can do it this year." The 73-year-old added that he had Bale in his Tottenham squad in 2012 and wanted Eden Hazard to link up with the Welshman to give a Spurs a chance at ending their drought for a league title.

Redknapp continued: "We had seen him (Eden Hazard) at Lille and he was our top target in the summer. He wanted to play Champions League football and we had finished fourth, while Chelsea finished in sixth. But then, Chelsea won the Champions League and took our spot in the competition next season." Redknapp concluded by stating that if Chelsea hadn't won the Champions League that year, he would have signed Eden Hazard at Spurs.

:harryhmm:

Question for you all:

If we sign Joe Rodon in the next 2 weeks, will it affect your score?

For me it would add +0.5 (so up to 8.5), at least if Levy negotiates a better deal than the 18m-20m reported.

Given the reaction from Swansea fans that even 18 million is far too low (and the reaction from Cardiff fans hoping we sign him) I think if we get one of the championship's best CB's for 14 mil or less it's a good investment. Most of this window has been more focused on the present (which I love), but doesn't hurt to bring in one for the future if the opportunity is right. No reason he can't be a starter in the Europa either, especially if any other CB's get injured. And according to swansea fans, Birch knows the dire financial situation Swansea are in, and may be looking to exploit that.
Yep. As I said in my rating - Rodon in pushes it to a 9 to a 9.5/10. Skriniar would have made it a 10/10 IMO.

This is how I've assessed it.

A. Did we address a positional/remit need
B. Quality of that purchase
C. Value
D. Potential

E. Overall

1. "6"

A 6 with good athletic, technical, mental, strong defensive/without the ball qualities, some press resistance, who could also play football.

Our answer was to buy Hojbjerg, who I personally think is a massively compromised solution on all the above criteria, who has glaring weaknesses in his game, and that game has not been fundamentally as a "6" either. Time will tell, if he can be converted into a more disciplined, orthodox type 6 who can improve various facets of his game I'll happily eat my words. The upside is he only cost us 17m and most of that was offset by moving KWP the other way, but for that value of deal this would have been a 3/4 out of 10 for me.

A. 4/10
B. 4/10
C. 8/10
D. 5/10

E. 5.25/10

2. LB

A LB who can contribute to game play and attacking play who can at least defend competently.

Reguilon ticks most of those boxes in at least attitude. The boy has bundles of confidence and enthusiasm. And if you'd only watched his post lock down Europa games you might think 30m was well justified. Having watched 2/3 of his games prior to that (as we'd been linked) I was less impressed with the reality, especially at 30m, when there were other equally viable options out there IMO that would have cost us a third third. his technical ability can get bit flustered under pressure, and defensively he can be a bit erratic. his end product when attacking can also be a bit erratic, sometimes very good, sometimes less so, but at least he does contribute and has good energy. I don't think he's the best, or best value we could have brought in, but at least this has addressed a major need with a viable young option.

A. 10
B. 6
C. 4
D. 8

E. 7/10

3. AM

An attacking player who could bring some intelligence and composure to what is generally a bumbling erratic bunch.

I guess many will say Bale ticks that box with aplomb. And I get why, on a name only basis, many will give this a 10. I'm am much, much less impressed with PR signings like this, I thought our days of trying to sign geriatric Rivaldos was long gone. I'd much rather invest in the future, by some potential, add some footballing and fiscal value. Even in his prime Bale was not a team player, lazy without the ball (possibly why Zidane won't tolerate him) and that prime was like 5-6 years ago. Constantly injured, we've bought a 31yo player who's game entirely relied on explosive qualities that stretch muscles to capacity. And he already won't even be available for the one to two months of the season.

A. 8
B. 8
C. 4
D. 1

E. 5.25/10

4. RB

Again, sorry to piss on chips, but I do not think a 29yo Doherty is in any tangible way a meaningful upgrade on Aurier. I wish, if we couldn't find a quantifiable upgrade (and I accept on this one there weren't a plethora of options out there) we'd just given Aurier a new deal and tried to find a young RB to be his understudy/rotation. A 29yo who has spent the last few years in a back 5, seems like an odd choice for us, even under Mourinho's lopsided system. 17m is not a kings ransom, and I guess we've added squad depth, but we've effectively just swapped 23yo KWP as rotation option for 29yo Doherty.

A. 7
B. 5
C. 5
D. 1

4.5/10

5. Striker/Attacker

I would much preferred us to bring in a player who can play 9, but also play as a wide attacker/AM. Giving the squad more versatility and making it more likely we will get value out of the signing. There were players out there who fitted that remit. One of them I mooted often, scored 2 this weekend playing as a AM (and is also a Mendes client). I know absolutely fuck all about Vinicius, watched Benfica a couple of times when were linked with Diaz but didn't pay much attention to Vinicius, so in terms of "B" am going to give him a guestimation mark based on what he's done and where he's done it and bits of YT (and will air on the side of generosity)

A. 7
B. 6
C. 5 (based on Buy clause)
D. 5

E. 5.75

6. CB/LCB
We needed a CB with good physicality and mobility, but also with a bit of technical ability to replace what Vertonghen brought. He doesn't have to be a LCB per se, but must be comfortable enough to play both positions preferably.

0/10 (so far).

Ignoring the CB issue, which was least of the priorities this summer I guess, and we may still address that, and ignoring the (diabolical) signing of Hart as I didn't see it as a massive priority anyway and didn't rate Gazzaniga either, I make it an average score of:

A. Did we address a positional/remit need - 7.2/10
B. Quality of that purchase - 5.8/10
C. Value - 5.2/10
D. Potential - 4/10

Overall 5.55/10

I appreciate some of those may go up with time, and some may go down depending on what happens in the next 12 months onwards etc. Just how I see it right now based on everything we know (and don't know).
bus-conductor bus-conductor Thanks. As usual, I believe you make some good points and some points with which I disagree. You encouraged me to join TFC after you were booted out of SC by the control freak maniac A&C. After some initial "Whoah this is a crazed war zone" impressions, I now much prefer the anarchy of TFC and the Fight Club rules. So here's a response to your arguments.

On the criteria you have used to judge the players and the window, I think Regui is better than your judgement - at least an 8 for quality and 9 for potential - and Hojbjerg showed me things against manure that I didn't think he could do. I also think the deal for Bale was a calculated gamble with little risk given it's a one-year loan for less than half his salary with an option to extend by a year if it proves successful. Otherwise we walk away. Just like Carlos Vinicius, this is not a Soldado situation where we're stuck with a declining asset. If either Bale or CV flops, we can get out after a season with zero additional financial commitment. If they succeed, we have the option to extend their stay at the club.

The only signing who has little sell-on value is Doherty. But his presence has already led Serge to up his game.

But I want to go outside your terms of assessment to make some broader points.

Crucially, we hired Jose Mourinho and history shows if you're going to back him, you need to do it early doors. Levy, with some major help from Mendes (Ruben Dias cost Shitty £51 million up front +£10m to bail out Benfica, once that was done we signed Vinicius for a £3m loan), has delivered players Mourinho was happy to accept to "complete his squad puzzle".

I've been looking in some detail at Mourinho's teams - chavski 1 & 2, Inter, Real, manure - specifically the players he inherited and the players he added. I've also been reading often surprising quotes from former players. Perhaps the most insightful comments were from Claude Makelele.

Context is important. Makelele went from Celta Vigo to Real Madrid, where he was the straight man in a team of Galacticos. Real President Perez then famously dissed Makelele as a short passing easily replaceable water carrier as he sold him to chavski in 2003. His new manager was Claudio Ranieri, who was sacked after Makelele's first season in London. Enter Mourinho in 2004.

----------------------------------------------------------
Claude Makelele says Jose Mourinho turned ‘insecure’ Blues into winners
CLAUDE MAKELELE vividly remembers Chelsea before the Jose Mourinho era.
He walked into the dressing room at Stamford Bridge in 2003 and was shocked.
Makelele: “When I first arrived at Chelsea, I saw something that shocked me. There were big teams, Manchester United and Woolwich, and all the time we would play them and I’d hear, ‘F***ing hell, it’s going to be difficult’.
“What? We can’t beat Woolwich? My team-mates were insecure and that shocked me, I had come from Real Madrid where I won everything. I understood my team-mates — Woolwich won with Thierry Henry scoring and with Patrick Vieira. But they were my friends and I played with them for the national team and I wouldn’t be afraid.
“When I saw this, I wanted to change it with my team-mates and say ‘No, this is possible’. We did change the mentality and, after, we beat them all the time and were fighting for the Premier League.
“I learnt a lot with Mourinho about being a competitor, about being focused on details and the consequences of your management.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So did chavski have small time players at the time? Well, in that first 2004-5 season, Mourinho inherited Makelele, Terry, Lampard, Gudjohnsen and Gallas - hardly shrinking violets. But he also bought Cech, Drogba, Carvalho & Robben - all very strong characters. Clearly from Makelele's comments, Mourinho's priority was to change the mindset of chavski's dressing room.

black echo posted a revealing interview with Mourinho where he clashes with Abramovich, who is desperate to buy very expensive established CFs for his new coach. Mourinho turns down the big name strikers and insists on the less famous Didier Drogba from Marseille. Mourinho tells the oligarch he only wants Drogba: "Mr Abramovich, don't speak. Pay!" (See link at bottom.) And it's in large part because of Drogba's hunger and mentality.

bus-conductor bus-conductor So, I think the most important factor that is missing from the criteria you use to assess our window is mentality. Mourinho has targeted players he thinks can help him change our mindset into a winning one.

As with chavski in 2004-5, Mourinho has inherited some players of high quality - eg Kane, Sonny, World Cup winner Lloris - but he has also added players with strong mentalities.

He's also lucked out with GLC being a better player & stronger character than he initially thought, and has challenged Ndombele & Dele to up their fitness & competitiveness - with admittedly mixed results. But GLC & Tanguy can provide the midfield creativity that his best teams have had - Sneijder, Ozil, Modric. Hell, he even bought Pogba for manure, before getting frustrated by his attitude & inconsistency.

Carlos Vinicius spoke in his Spurs Official interview of how he nearly quit football a couple of seasons ago. As well as physically being a Drogba type, I suspect Mourinho has also seen that hunger and competitiveness to prove himself at the highest level. And this is why CV was allegedly Mourinho's first choice, when we clearly could have bought a Callum Wilson or an Ollie Watkins. And if CV fails, it's a £3 million pound failure.

Now, before you think this is an Ode to Jose, it's not. Those Makelele quotes are from a 2018 piece in the Super Soaraway (linked below). I've also found Makelele quotes from 2011 (also linked).

--------------------------------------------------
Claude Makelele Accuses Jose Mourinho of Hypocrisy and Drunken Behavior
Claude Makelele has decided to remember the time he played for Chelsea FC under the reign of Jose Mourinho. The revelations were harsh in tone with regards to Mourinho who is currently coaching Real Madrid.
Makelele accused Mourinho of being hypocritical and being drunk with the players. He declared: "We would gather together to crack jokes and get drunk".
Makelele said: "After the party, he (Mourinho) would distance himself from us and then reclaim all of the glory for himself. For him, the new stars were worth more than the old ones."
After further questioning, Makelele praised the work of Jose Mourinho as a coach without praising the person.
"Mourinho is a winner. He knows how to motivate and use people to get the best of them in a match. The problem is when he wants to put you down, there is cold calculation, cruelty and ambition".
Makelele confessed that he could not take it any more with a "coach who put himself above the team". He talked about (again) how Mourinho forgot about the team and claimed credit for himself.
Makelele finished his declarations by saying that Mourinho wanted the "spotlight for himself".

----------------------------------------------

Before he became our coach, this was always one of my big problems with Mourinho. He is pretty much the only coach I know who says "I won this, I won that" rather than "We won this, my team won that".

And this may be the key to why Mourinho often loses the dressing room after a couple of seasons. As his hair has greyed, I hope he's learnt to emphasise the team above the individual. But we shall see.

Fundamentally though, I believe Mourinho's "project" is about creating a winning mentality, and constructing a "squad puzzle" where he has options. I believe this transfer window significantly helped these aims. Yes, we still need a dominant CB and a genuine DM 6. But I rated the window as an 8, judging it on what I believe Mourinho is trying to achieve.

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/carlos-vinicius.37514/page-6#post-2506797

Claude Makelele interview: Chelsea players were insecure before Jose Mourinho arrived and turned us into winners

Last edited:

If you need to know why this is promising - look no further than Salah being a signing that went over Klopp's head but was happy enough giving him a go.

C. Value
D. Potential

E. Overall

1. "6"

A 6 with good athletic, technical, mental, strong defensive/without the ball qualities, some press resistance, who could also play football.

Our answer was to buy Hojbjerg, who I personally think is a massively compromised solution on all the above criteria, who has glaring weaknesses in his game, and that game has not been fundamentally as a "6" either. Time will tell, if he can be converted into a more disciplined, orthodox type 6 who can improve various facets of his game I'll happily eat my words. The upside is he only cost us 17m and most of that was offset by moving KWP the other way, but for that value of deal this would have been a 3/4 out of 10 for me.

A. 4/10
B. 4/10
C. 8/10
D. 5/10

E. 5.25/10

2. LB

A LB who can contribute to game play and attacking play who can at least defend competently.

Reguilon ticks most of those boxes in at least attitude. The boy has bundles of confidence and enthusiasm. And if you'd only watched his post lock down Europa games you might think 30m was well justified. Having watched 2/3 of his games prior to that (as we'd been linked) I was less impressed with the reality, especially at 30m, when there were other equally viable options out there IMO that would have cost us a third. His technical ability can get bit flustered under pressure, and defensively he can be a bit erratic. his end product when attacking can also be a bit erratic, sometimes very good, sometimes less so, but at least he does contribute and has good energy. I don't think he's the best, or best value we could have brought in, but at least this has addressed a major need with a viable young option who has upside potential.

A. 10
B. 6
C. 4
D. 8

E. 7/10

3. AM

An attacking player who could bring some intelligence and composure to what is generally a bumbling erratic bunch.

I guess many will say Bale ticks that box with aplomb. And I get why, on a name only basis, many will give this a 10. I'm much, much less impressed with PR signings like this, I thought our days of trying to sign geriatric Rivaldos was long gone. I'd much rather invest in the future, by some potential, add some footballing and fiscal value. Even in his prime Bale was not a team player, lazy without the ball (possibly why Zidane won't tolerate him) and that prime was like 5-6 years ago. Constantly injured, we've bought a 31yo player who's game entirely relied on explosive qualities that stretch muscles to capacity. And he already won't even be available for the one to two months of the season.

A. 8
B. 8
C. 4
D. 1

E. 5.25/10

4. RB

Again, sorry to piss on chips, but I do not think a 29yo Doherty is in any tangible way a meaningful upgrade on Aurier. I wish, if we couldn't find a quantifiable upgrade (and I accept on this one there weren't a plethora of options out there) we'd just given Aurier a new deal and tried to find a young RB to be his understudy/rotation. A 29yo who has spent the last few years in a back 5, seems like an odd choice for us, even under Mourinho's lopsided system. 17m is not a kings ransom, and I guess we've added squad depth, but we've effectively just swapped 23yo KWP as rotation option for 29yo Doherty.

A. 7
B. 5
C. 5
D. 1

4.5/10

5. Striker/Attacker

I would much preferred us to bring in a player who can play 9, but also play as a wide attacker/AM. Giving the squad more versatility and making it more likely we will get value out of the signing. There were players out there who fitted that remit. One of them I mooted often, scored 2 this weekend playing as a AM (and is also a Mendes client). I know absolutely fuck all about Vinicius, watched Benfica a couple of times when were linked with Diaz but didn't pay much attention to Vinicius, so in terms of "B" am going to give him a guestimation mark based on what he's done and where he's done it and bits of YT (and will air on the side of generosity)

A. 7
B. 6
D. 5

E. 5.75

6. CB/LCB
We needed a CB with good physicality and mobility, but also with a bit of technical ability to replace what Vertonghen brought. He doesn't have to be a LCB per se, but must be comfortable enough to play both positions preferably.

0/10 (so far).

Ignoring the CB issue, which was least of the priorities this summer I guess, and we may still address that, and ignoring the (diabolical) signing of Hart as I didn't see it as a massive priority anyway and didn't rate Gazzaniga either, I make it an average score of:

C. Value - 5.2/10
D. Potential - 4/10

Overall 5.55/10

I appreciate some of those may go up with time, and some may go down depending on what happens in the next 12 months onwards etc. Just how I see it right now based on everything we know (and don't know).
That whole post might be one of the worst things I've read on this forum.

And I remember the days of transexual porn posting.

bus-conductor bus-conductor Thanks. As usual, I believe you make some good points and some points with which I disagree. You encouraged me to join TFC after you were booted out of SC by the control freak maniac A&C. After some initial "Whoah this is a crazed war zone" impressions, I now much prefer the anarchy of TFC and the Fight Club rules. So here's a response to your arguments.

On the criteria you have used to judge the players and the window, I think Regui is better than your judgement - at least an 8 for quality and 9 for potential - and Hojbjerg showed me things against manure that I didn't think he could do. I also think the deal for Bale was a calculated gamble with little risk given it's a one-year loan for less than half his salary with an option to extend by a year if it proves successful. Otherwise we walk away. Just like Carlos Vinicius, this is not a Soldado situation where we're stuck with a declining asset. If either Bale or CV flops, we can get out after a season with zero additional financial commitment. If they succeed, we have the option to extend their stay at the club.

The only signing who has little sell-on value is Doherty. But his presence has already led Serge to up his game.

Crucially, we hired Jose Mourinho and history shows if you're going to back him, you need to do it early doors. Levy, with some major help from Mendes (Ruben Dias cost Shitty £51 million up front +£10m to bail out Benfica, once that was done we signed Vinicius for a £3m loan), has delivered players Mourinho was happy to accept to "complete his squad puzzle".

I've been looking in some detail at Mourinho's teams - chavski 1 & 2, Inter, Real, manure - specifically the players he inherited and the players he added. I've also been reading often surprising quotes from former players. Perhaps the most insightful comments were from Claude Makelele.

Context is important. Makelele went from Celta Vigo to Real Madrid, where he was the straight man in a team of Galaticos. Real President Perez then famously dissed Makelele as a short passing easily replaceable water carrier as he sold him to chavski in 2003. His new manager was Claudio Ranieri, who was sacked after Makelele's first season in London. Enter Mourinho in 2004.

Makelele: “When I first arrived at Chelsea, I saw something that shocked me. There were big teams, Manchester United and Woolwich, and all the time we would play them and I’d hear, ‘F***ing hell, it’s going to be difficult’.
“What? We can’t beat Woolwich? My team-mates were insecure and that shocked me, I had come from Real Madrid where I won everything. I understood my team-mates — Woolwich won with Thierry Henry scoring and with Patrick Vieira. But they were my friends and I played with them for the national team and I wouldn’t be afraid.
“When I saw this, I wanted to change it with my team-mates and say ‘No, this is possible’. We did change the mentality and, after, we beat them all the time and were fighting for the Premier League.
“I learnt a lot with Mourinho about being a competitor, about being focused on details and the consequences of your management.

So did chavski have small time players at the time? Well, in that first 2004-5 season, Mourinho inherited Makelele, Terry, Lampard, Gudjohnsen and Gallas - hardly shrinking violets. But he also bought Cech, Drogba, Carvalho & Robben - all very strong characters. Clearly from Makelele's comments, Mourinho's priority was to change the mindset of chavski's dressing room.

black echo posted a revealing interview with Mourinho where he clashes with Abramovich, who is desperate to buy very expensive established CFs for his new coach. Mourinho turns down the big name strikers and insists on the less famous Didier Drogba from Marseille. Mourinho tells the oligarch he only wants Drogba: "Mr Abramovich, don't speak. Pay!" (See link at bottom.) And it's in large part because of Drogba's hunger and mentality.

bus-conductor bus-conductor So, I think the most important factor that is missing from the criteria you use to assess our window is mentality. Mourinho has targeted players he thinks can help him change our mindset into a winning one.

As with chavski in 2004-5, Mourinho has inherited some players of high quality - eg Kane, Sonny, World Cup winner Lloris - but he has also added players with strong mentalities.

He's also lucked out with GLC being a better player & stronger character than he initially thought, and has challenged Ndombele & Dele to up their fitness & competitiveness - with admittedly mixed results. But GLC & Tanguy can provide the midfield creativity that his best teams have had - Sneijder, Ozil, Modric. Hell, he even bought Pogba for manure, before getting frustrated by his attitude & consistency.

Carlos Vinicius spoke in his Spurs Official interview of how he nearly quit football a couple of seasons ago. As well physically being a Drogba type, I suspect Mourinho has also seen that hunger and competitiveness to prove himself at the highest level. And this is why CV was allegedly Mourinho's first choice, when we clearly could have bought a Callum Wilson or an Ollie Watkins. And if CV fails, it's a £3 million pound failure.

Now, before you think this is an Ode to Jose, it's not. Those Makelele quotes are from a 2018 piece in the Super Soaraway (linked below). I've also found Makelele quotes from 2011 (also linked).

Claude Makelele has decided to remember the time he played for Chelsea FC under the reign of Jose Mourinho. The revelations were harsh in tone with regards to Mourinho who is currently coaching Real Madrid.
Makelele accused Mourinho of being hypocritical and being drunk with the players. He declared: "We would gather together to crack jokes and get drunk".
Makelele said: "After the party, he (Mourinho) would distance himself from us and then reclaim all of the glory for himself. For him, the new stars were worth more than the old ones."
After further questioning, Makelele praised the work of Jose Mourinho as a coach without praising the person.
"Mourinho is a winner. He knows how to motivate and use people to get the best of them in a match. The problem is when he wants to put you down, there is cold calculation, cruelty and ambition".
Makelele confessed that he could not take it any more with a "coach who put himself above the team". He talked about (again) how Mourinho forgot about the team and claimed credit for himself.
Makelele finished his declarations by saying that Mourinho wanted the "spotlight for himself".

Before he became our coach, this was always one of my big problems with Mourinho. He is pretty much the only coach I know who says "I won this, I won that" rather than "We won this, my team won that".

And this may be the key to why Mourinho often loses the dressing room after a couple of seasons. As his hair has greyed, I hope he's learnt to emphasise the team above the individual. But we shall see.

Fundamentally though, I believe Mourinho's "project" is about creating a winning mentality, and creating a "squad puzzle" where he has options. I believe this transfer window significantly helped these aims. Yes, we still need a dominant CB and a genuine DM 6. But I rated the window as an 8, judging it on what I believe Mourinho is trying to achieve.

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/carlos-vinicius.37514/page-6#post-2506797

Claude Makelele interview: Chelsea players were insecure before Jose Mourinho arrived and turned us into winners

I really like your post, which summarises my perception of Mourinho

I like to think that after his difficult time at ManU (of which I think he is secretly not that proud as he shows) he went to a period of introspection and he has faced his dark side a bit. He still doesn't miss any opportunity of reminding everybody what HE has done and won, but at the same time I see a more humble person, a guy who is embracing the idea that a leader is everybody's servant.

We will see how it goes. For the moment I am enjoying the feeling that things have started to work between him, the squad and the club, and I thing we will see some great moment under his tenure

What the actual fuck 😳
you-werent-there-man.jpg

For historical accuracy purposes I need to correct this. I was actually banned because my PM to you and a handful of others, saying that I was going to spend more time here and less there (and why don't you join me) in which I also referred to A&C as Herr Commendant Nobgag found it's way to A&C's inbox (for someone who spends so much time cracking said nobgags, he seems bereft of a sense of humour...or even, self....go figure)

bus-conductor bus-conductor

Context is important. Makelele went from Celta Vigo to Real Madrid, where he was the straight man in a team of Galacticos. Real President Perez then famously dissed Makelele as a short passing easily replaceable water carrier as he sold him to chavski in 2003. His new manager was Claudio Ranieri, who was sacked after Makelele's first season in London. Enter Mourinho in 2004.

He's also lucked out with GLC being a better player & stronger character than he initially thought, and has challenged Ndombele & Dele to up their fitness & competitiveness - with admittedly mixed results. But GLC & Tanguy can provide the midfield creativity that his best teams have had - Sneijder, Ozil, Modric. Hell, he even bought Pogba for manure, before getting frustrated by his attitude & inconsistency.

Carlos Vinicius spoke in his Spurs Official interview of how he nearly quit football a couple of seasons ago. As well as physically being a Drogba type, I suspect Mourinho has also seen that hunger and competitiveness to prove himself at the highest level. And this is why CV was allegedly Mourinho's first choice, when we clearly could have bought a Callum Wilson or an Ollie Watkins. And if CV fails, it's a £3 million pound failure.

Fundamentally though, I believe Mourinho's "project" is about creating a winning mentality, and constructing a "squad puzzle" where he has options. I believe this transfer window significantly helped these aims. Yes, we still need a dominant CB and a genuine DM 6. But I rated the window as an 8, judging it on what I believe Mourinho is trying to achieve.

Lets agree to disagree about our assessment of of the players we've bought. You say you saw something against Utd from Hojbjerg, and he did play well enough, but it was against 10 men for 70 minutes of a team who I think have a manager well out of his depth. I can't ignore everything else I've seen from him for us and Southampton prior to that. I hope I'm wrong and you're right and he's better than I reckon and/or improves.

The stuff about mentality/mindset for me has always been a bit of misnomer. It's wonderful when it's attached to some talent (and at Chelsea they had the budget to combine those qualities) less useful when it's not. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence for me that in the whole of Europe, so much of our missing jigsaw pieces could only be found in Mendes's puzzle box.

I was interested to see if Mourinho had evolved, not just from 10 years ago, but from his time out since at Utd. So far I'm not really seeing it. That doesn't mean he can't get results out of us, I think he probably can (and has) I'm just a long way from buying into his methodology - the tactical and philosophical.

The stuff about mentality/mindset for me has always been a bit of misnomer. It's wonderful when it's attached to some talent (and at Chelsea they had the budget to combine those qualities) less useful when it's not. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence for me that in the whole of Europe, so much of our missing jigsaw pieces could only be found in Mendes's puzzle box.
For me, the Makelele quotes are fundamental. He left Real Madrid for Ranieri's chavski, and walked into a dressing room containing the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gudjohnsen and Gallas. Makelele says he was shocked because at that time these players were frightened of the likes of Woolwich and did not expect to win big matches. He states that it was the arrival of Mourinho, in Makelele's second season, that changed the mentality and turned those players into winners, rather than simply talented players.

I can see clear parallels between that chavski core group and the likes of Kane, Lloris, Sonny. Mourinho wants them to be leaders who expect to win, and he's challenging every one of our players to be more competitive and committed - the notorious "nice guys don't win, intelligent cunts do" philosophy.

Hojbjerg had been banging on in the press about his leadership qualities, and this is presumably one of the reasons Mourinho targeted him. The ultimate proof of the pudding is on the pitch, not the rather silly pre-match huddles. Against manure PEH did play like a leader, bossing the midfield alongside Ndombele who was courageous in showing for & receiving the ball in tight situations.

As for Jorge Mendes, whilst I've been explicit about my concerns, my judgement is that he was working for Mourinho, and thus by default Levy, throughout the window.

Once Benfica were knocked out of the Europa League and placed in financial difficulty, two of Mourinho's supposed top targets, Ruben Dias and Carlos Vinicius, became available. Shitty came in for Dias, and were extorted for £51 million up front, with the total fee being £61 million.

This presumably sorted Benfica's short term cash flow problems. At the start of the window, we were apparently quoted £50 million for Carlos Vinicius. With Dias gone to Shitty, we signed Carlos Vinicius for a loan fee of 3 million Euros. with an option (not obligation) to buy if the player is successful.

I find it impossible to believe this would have happened without Mendes. And Mourinho is not just another client of Mendes. Without Mourinho, it is strongly arguable that Mendes would not be one of football's super agents.

Compare our situation with Wolves. Coach Nunes, another Mendes client, had to accept the sale of an established player in Diogo Jota and his replacement with the 18-year-old Fabio Silva, who had played just 12 times for Porto, for £35 million. Fabio Silva may develop into a great player, but in the short term this clearly hurts Wolves' chances this season. I doubt Mourinho would have accepted such moves at Spurs.

Perhaps the more interesting Mendes/Wolves move is the 28-year-old Doherty to us for around £16 million, and his eventual replacement with the 26-year-old Nelson Semedo for £27 million plus £9m in add-ons. Both players are Mendes clients.

At the start of the window, it wasn't clear whether Barca would sell Semedo. So Mourinho may have moved for Doherty because he was PL-proven and gettable once he moved to Mendes' agency. But if Semedo had been available, it's interesting to know whether Mourinho would have opted for him over Doherty.

And this is where the "squad puzzle" is relevant too. If we'd bought Semedo at roughly twice the price of Doherty, would this have prevented us moving for other targets? For instance, we may not have been able to afford to buy Reguilon in such circumstances.

Mourinho has clearly been pragmatic during the window. But I do see a method and a rationale for our purchases. Crucially, we've used loans to limit our financial liability if it doesn't work out as well as we all hope.

C. Value
D. Potential

E. Overall

1. "6"

A. 4/10
B. 4/10
C. 8/10
D. 5/10

E. 5.25/10

2. LB

Reguilon ticks most of those boxes in at least attitude. The boy has bundles of confidence and enthusiasm. And if you'd only watched his post lock down Europa games you might think 30m was well justified. Having watched 2/3 of his games prior to that (as we'd been linked) I was less impressed with the reality, especially at 30m, when there were other equally viable options out there IMO that would have cost us a third. His technical ability can get bit flustered under pressure, and defensively he can be a bit erratic. his end product when attacking can also be a bit erratic, sometimes very good, sometimes less so, but at least he does contribute and has good energy. I don't think he's the best, or best value we could have brought in, but at least this has addressed a major need with a viable young option who has upside potential.

A. 10
B. 6
C. 4
D. 8

E. 7/10

3. AM

I guess many will say Bale ticks that box with aplomb. And I get why, on a name only basis, many will give this a 10. I'm much, much less impressed with PR signings like this, I thought our days of trying to sign geriatric Rivaldos was long gone. I'd much rather invest in the future, by some potential, add some footballing and fiscal value. Even in his prime Bale was not a team player, lazy without the ball (possibly why Zidane won't tolerate him) and that prime was like 5-6 years ago. Constantly injured, we've bought a 31yo player who's game entirely relied on explosive qualities that stretch muscles to capacity. And he already won't even be available for the one to two months of the season.

A. 8
B. 8
C. 4
D. 1

E. 5.25/10

4. RB

A. 7
B. 5
C. 5
D. 1

4.5/10

5. Striker/Attacker

A. 7
B. 6
D. 5

E. 5.75

6. CB/LCB

0/10 (so far).

C. Value - 5.2/10
D. Potential - 4/10

Overall 5.55/10

You made the effort to explain your low score and I can appreciate that I just almost entirely disagree with your negativity, hate to just hit disagree with no explanation so:

Is Hojbjerg going to be your new Sissoko "glaring weaknesses in his game" but no explanation? Can't wait to read your endless near identical negative reviews week in week out ... guess you have all Sissoko's on cut and paste so just a name change required.

All your scores are low but this one is just laughable:

Potential 4/10 - LoCelso who you completely ignored but who we paid 32m for this window is just 24, Reguilion is just 23 and comes with a guaranteed 15m profit, Hojbjerg is just 25, Vinicius is just 25 ... but yeah 4/10 for potential that seems fair.

9 out of 10.

Doherty coming in whilst keeping Aurier makes me happy. I rate both of them. Very good depth there.

Reguilon is a top class LB. Addressed a problem area in style.

Right there we've gone from some of the worst fullbacks in the top 6 to having great options.

Hojbjerg looks like he will do the dirty work. We needed legs in the middle and got it. He's settling in and even looks like he can play ball.

Bale is unreal and shocking. We have potentially become of those rare teams in Europe with a devasting front 3 consisting of world class players.

Carlos Vinicius I haven't seen much of but I'm a fan of his profile. Strong guys who can also move are ideal. His style combined with his scoring record is everything we could have hoped for in a backup striker. With Kane able to drop deep with ease we have so many options.

Levy backed his manager this time. A CB would have made it a 10/10 window but this is still one of the best in my lifetime if not the best.

For me, the Makelele quotes are fundamental. He left Real Madrid for Ranieri's chavski, and walked into a dressing room containing the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gudjohnsen and Gallas. Makelele says he was shocked because at that time these players were frightened of the likes of Woolwich and did not expect to win big matches. He states that it was the arrival of Mourinho, in Makelele's second season, that changed the mentality and turned those players into winners, rather than simply talented players.

I can see clear parallels between that chavski core group and the likes of Kane, Lloris, Sonny. Mourinho wants them to be leaders who expect to win, and he's challenging every one of our players to be more competitive and committed - the notorious "nice guys don't win, intelligent cunts do" philosophy.

Hojbjerg had been banging on in the press about his leadership qualities, and this is presumably one of the reasons Mourinho targeted him. The ultimate proof of the pudding is on the pitch, not the rather silly pre-match huddles. Against manure PEH did play like a leader, bossing the midfield alongside Ndombele who was courageous in showing for & receiving the ball in tight situations.

As for Jorge Mendes, whilst I've been explicit about my concerns, my judgement is that he was working for Mourinho, and thus by default Levy, throughout the window.

Once Benfica were knocked out of the Europa League and placed in financial difficulty, two of Mourinho's supposed top targets, Ruben Dias and Carlos Vinicius, became available. Shitty came in for Dias, and were extorted for £51 million up front, with the total fee being £61 million.

This presumably sorted Benfica's short term cash flow problems. At the start of the window, we were apparently quoted £50 million for Carlos Vinicius. With Dias gone to Shitty, we signed Carlos Vinicius for a loan fee of 3 million Euros. with an option (not obligation) to buy if the player is successful.

I find it impossible to believe this would have happened without Mendes. And Mourinho is not just another client of Mendes. Without Mourinho, it is strongly arguable that Mendes would not be one of football's super agents.

Compare our situation with Wolves. Coach Nunes, another Mendes client, had to accept the sale of an established player in Diogo Jota and his replacement with the 18-year-old Fabio Silva, who had played just 12 times for Porto, for £35 million. Fabio Silva may develop into a great player, but in the short term this clearly hurts Wolves' chances this season. I doubt Mourinho would have accepted such moves at Spurs.

Perhaps the more interesting Mendes/Wolves move is the 28-year-old Doherty to us for around £16 million, and his eventual replacement with the 26-year-old Nelson Semedo for £27 million plus £9m in add-ons. Both players are Mendes clients.

At the start of the window, it wasn't clear whether Barca would sell Semedo. So Mourinho may have moved for Doherty because he was PL-proven and gettable once he moved to Mendes' agency. But if Semedo had been available, it's interesting to know whether Mourinho would have opted for him over Doherty.

And this is where the "squad puzzle" is relevant too. If we'd bought Semedo at roughly twice the price of Doherty, would this have prevented us moving for other targets? For instance, we may not have been able to afford to buy Reguilon in such circumstances.

Mourinho has clearly been pragmatic during the window. But I do see a method and a rationale for our purchases. Crucially, we've used loans to limit our financial liability if it doesn't work out as well as we all hope.

Do you think we lacked a strong mentality under Pochettino during his peak - years 2/3 - because I don’t. We were beating everyone, feared no one, Liverpool, City, ManU (Mourinho’s ManU) Chelsea (ended their record winning streak), Real Madrid. We were also good at clever fouls high up etc, that clever cunty thing. I think the only thing between us and a trophy during that phase was some poor tactical decisions on big days and maybe a bit of rub.

I don’t think it was a lack of strong mentality per se that was our downfall, I think it was a shit storm of other things that saw us decline under Poch, including Poch himself and the things he did/didn't do (as well as others) and the mentality fell away as a consequence.

I know that Mourinho is all about mentality, and I can see he does work heavily on this, but most successful managers are good motivators too, good psychologists, in their own differing ways. But you need more than this to succeed these days (and maybe ever), you need good coaching and decent tactics (and good/smart players help too obviously).

I'm not convinced that Mourinho excels at any of those disciplines any more, even his mentality by confrontation thing seems a bit outdated and hit and miss to me. I'm not saying he's a total failure either, I think he's an intelligent guy, still has some decent managerial tools, I'm just unconvinced those tools place him in the very top echelon of managers any more, and I personally am having difficulty enjoying his methods and the performances they produce, for the most part. Last Sunday was possibly the first time since he arrived that I have actually laughed with enjoyment at one of our games, and a large part of that was the car crash that is Utd under Solskjaer.

I hope I'm proven wrong and he wins me round.

Last edited:
The guess in a thread where I posted my rating and gave my justification was making shit up, but you posted an apology so I guess that makes it all better.

How about just not making a ridiculous guess in the first place?

How about not being so sensitive?

And it takes a big man to apologise so just accept it with good grace ffs 🤦

Do you think we lacked a strong mentality under Pochettino during his peak - years 2/3 - because I don’t. We were beating everyone, feared no one, Liverpool, City, ManU (Mourinho’s ManU) Chelsea (ended their record winning streak), Real Madrid. We were also good at clever fouls high up etc, that clever cunty thing. I think the only thing between us and a trophy during that phase was some poor tactical decisions on big days and maybe a bit of rub.

I don’t think it was a lack of strong mentality per se that was our downfall, I think it was a shit storm of other things that saw us decline under Poch, including Poch himself and the things he did/didn't do (as well as others)

I know that Mourinho is all about mentality, and I can see he does work heavily on this, but most successful managers are good motivators too, good psychologists, in their own differing ways. But you need more than this to succeed these days (and maybe ever), you need good coaching and decent tactics (and good/smart players help too obviously).

I'm not convinced that Mourinho excels at any of those disciplines any more, even his mentality by confrontation thing seems a bit outdated and hit and miss to me. I'm not saying he's a total failure either, I think he's an intelligent guy, still has some decent managerial tools, I'm just unconvinced those tools place him in the very top echelon of managers any more, and I personally am having difficulty enjoying his methods and the performances they produce, for the most part. Last Sunday was possibly the first time since he arrived that I have actually laughed with enjoyment at one of our games, and a large part of that was the car crash that is Utd under Solskjaer.

I hope I'm proven wrong and he wins me round.
Bus Conductor I am gonna put this in Jamaican terms "Laaaaawd yu miserable bad bad bad bad" Just sing with me now "Don't you worry Bout a ting cus every likkle thing gonna be alright"

Back
Top Bottom