Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate our window

• 10/10

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • 09/10

Votes: 144 53.7%
  • 08/10

Votes: 78 29.1%
  • 07/10

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • 06/10

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 05/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 04/10

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 03/10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 02/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 01/10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you think we lacked a strong mentality under Pochettino during his peak - years 2/3 - because I don’t. We were beating everyone, feared no one, Liverpool, City, ManU (Mourinho’s ManU) Chelsea (ended their record winning streak), Real Madrid. We were also good at clever fouls high up etc, that clever cunty thing. I think the only thing between us and a trophy during that phase was some poor tactical decisions on big days and maybe a bit of rub.

I don’t think it was a lack of strong mentality per se that was our downfall, I think it was a shit storm of other things that saw us decline under Poch, including Poch himself and the things he did/didn't do (as well as others)

I know that Mourinho is all about mentality, and I can see he does work heavily on this, but most successful managers are good motivators too, good psychologists, in their own differing ways. But you need more than this to succeed these days (and maybe ever), you need good coaching and decent tactics (and good/smart players help too obviously).

I'm not convinced that Mourinho excels at any of those disciplines any more, even his mentality by confrontation thing seems a bit outdated and hit and miss to me. I'm not saying he's a total failure either, I think he's an intelligent guy, still has some decent managerial tools, I'm just unconvinced those tools place him in the very top echelon of managers any more, and I personally am having difficulty enjoying his methods and the performances they produce, for the most part. Last Sunday was possibly the first time since he arrived that I have actually laughed with enjoyment at one of our games, and a large part of that was the car crash that is Utd under Solskjaer.

I hope I'm proven wrong and he wins me round.
Absolutely Poch was about mentality too. But Poch was working with some of our key players when they were younger. Arguably, Poch was instilling the No Fear, We Can Win This, mentality in the likes of Kane and Sonny for the first time. Even Verts, Eriksen and Toby who had been used to winning at Ajax grew into that We Can Beat Anybody mentality under Poch, in large part because of what was, at our best, a breathtaking high press and high defensive line. And of course we won. Mentality is useless if you're losing every week.

I continue to believe that Poch had invested so much emotionally into the Champions League final that when we failed to win that match, he was burnt out. He had literally lost his MoJo. The purchase of GLC, Ndombele and Sessegnon was a chance to reboot, but unfortunately due to pre-season injuries & lack of match fitness Poch never saw any of them on the pitch in a meaningful way.

Enter Mourinho. He inherited a group of players who were nearly winners, but who also seemed tired and jaded, and increasingly unwilling or unable to deliver Poch's intense tactics. Some of that group have left, eg Verts and Eriksen, and others will, eg Rose.

But I think our squad needed a new voice and a new challenge to instill fresh belief into them, to start a new cycle.

To bang on again, Makelele's quotes about that chavski dressing room are crystal clear. Much as it pains me to say, Terry, Lampard, Gudjohnsen and Gallas were all good players, but Makelele credits Mourinho with turning them from talented footballers into winning footballers.

As a Spurs fan, and like you, I love great football, with flair, technical brilliance, breathtaking skill. But I've seen some thrilling moments from Ndombele, Kane, Sonny and GLC in recent weeks, and we attacked down both flanks with our FBs against manure. If Mourinho can continue to make us more solid defensively, whilst channeling that flair to help us pounce, and win games, then that's good for me.

I believe the group of players we have at Spurs can be stronger mentally than the group he had at manure. And I believe they're as good, and in many cases better, than that squad.

And whilst some of our performances at the end of last season bored me to tears, I remind myself that Mourinho has used creative midfield playmakers in his best teams. I give you Deco at Porto, Sneijder at Inter, Ozil and Modric at Real, and he wanted Pogba to be this player at manure. Right now, it looks like Mourinho is working out ways to use GLC and Ndombele to provide that creativity for us.

So, I'll take Mourinho on his own terms, and wait to see whether his methods still work. Always remembering Eva Carneiro and Tito Vilanova.

Last edited:
For clarification, since the painful rebuild days under Poch we have seen the following ins and outs across a 3 window period:

Ins:

Clarke, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Gedson, Bergwijn, Hojbjerg, Doherty, Hart, Regulion, Bale, Vinícius

Total on incomings (without the potential options on GF, CV)

£222.21m

Outs:

Llorente, Onomah, Wanyama, Nkoudou, Janssen, Trippier, Eriksen, Walker-Peters, Vertonghen, Vorm, Foyth (potentially as an option & not included in the £ tally below)

£70.02m

Total net spend across summer 19/20, Jan 19/20 & Summer 20/21 to date = £152.19m

Averaging a net spend of around £75-£77m each season with 12 in and 11 out. I’d say the next in line to add to those out numbers must surely be Carter-Vickers, Rose etc and once they are gone we are set.

Interesting that our net spend each window equates to around £75m on average. The fees due on Vinícius and Gedson work out to this and unless Dele moves on I don’t see many outs of value left in our ranks. I think Levy has gone nuts in for top 4 or Europa, a little bit of shit or bust when I dissect the financials but the great thing going is how we have ring fenced the Champions League money previously.

Cannot complain, all in all a very good window addressing areas we needed to and were essenntial for us, not only that it has added depth in terms of strength to the squad. It is a shame not getting in Skriniar as that would really have solidified this window to the greatest ever in many way

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
Tottenham wanted the Dane in the January window but it was not possible then. However, as his contract reached its final year so Spurs were able to push for a bargain deal for Hojbjerg.

With Kyle Walker-Peters heading to Southampton, the north London club paid just £3million more for the 25-year-old midfielder.

Mourinho wanted him for his strong personality and leadership as well as his natural ability and workrate and he's proved since what a bargain Tottenham have got. 9

Joe Hart

The former England goalkeeper became available on a free and as another player with medals in his CV and a big character, he fit the Mourinho mould.

Believed to be coming in on less wages than Michel Vorm, he is not only a cheaper option but has taken the number two spot from Paulo Gazzaniga.

It's not a sexy signing but its a solid one which is why Hart gets a solid mark. 6

Matt Doherty

The Irishman was another player that Mourinho had pinpointed as someone he wanted.

Tottenham wrapped up a remarkably cheap deal for Doherty. Just £13.5million with no add-ons for a right-back who was second only to Trent Alexander-Arnold for chances created in the Premier League over the past two years.

The 28-year-old will have to do some adapting to being a right-back again rather than a wing-back but he can become a big part of Spurs' armoury. 8

Gareth Bale

He's come home and it's an incredible deal for Tottenham.

Spurs are paying roughly 40 per cent of Bale's Real Madrid wages and it's believed that chairman Daniel Levy even re-negotiated the deal when the extent of the Welshman's knee injury was discovered meaning Spurs would not pay until he was fit.

He might be 31 but Bale is fresh from a season of little action. When he gets warmed up he's a world class player who has won everything. Tottenham's free-kicks will certainly step up a notch this season. What a return. 10

Sergio Reguilon

Tottenham didn't even go into the transfer window looking for a left-back but a decision was made that if Reguilon became available for a good price, they would make a move.

They did and the 23-year-old Spaniard has already proven against Chelsea and Manchester United that he's going to be a star.

He's got pace, attacking intent and he can defend. On top of that he's got confidence aplenty and has already got big game experience despite his age.

He would have got a 10 were it not for that buy-back clause which means Real Madrid can sign him back in the summer of either 2021 or 2022 if they want and he agrees.

Spurs will hope he falls in love with the north London club and does not want to return to the Spanish capital as just another left-back. 9

Carlos Vinicius

It only took 14 months for Tottenham to sign a new striker but one finally arrived in the shape of 25-year-old Brazilian Carlos Vinicius.

He's a late bloomer, having switched from centre-back to become a forward during his career, but he had a real breakthrough season for Benfica last time around, scoring 24 goals and laying on 13 assists while finishing joint top scorer in Liga Nos.

There's of course an element of it being a gamble on whether he can adapt to the Premier League, but much of that risk has been negated with the 6ft 3ins front man because Levy managed to get him for a loan fee of just £2.7million, with an option to sign him permanently for £38million.

That deal, which allows Spurs to try before they buy, adds another point on to his mark and if he dazzles it will be even more of a bargain. 8

Nope I put 7 and then explained my reasoning in the thread.

But might as well join the masses and make up shit about me that I never did or said.
I thinks it more a case of our expectations were very low as enic/levy usually under invest in new players & set us back years. Remember many thought it wasn't a bad window when we signed nobody. So obviously this will seem like a 10 out of 10 to them. Thats why hart is labelled a great signing.
I'd say 8 out of 10 window with a few holes that can be sorted next summer. Improved both full back positions. Pierre is upgrade on dier, winks or whoever would play there. Then obviously a new striker so we don't have to overplay kane, can only be a good thing. Not a fan of hart. With Bale its unpredictable how he will do? But worth a punt.

Its all guesswork anyway. As we usually make fun of teams who win the transfer window but now we are telling anyone who will listen that we have won it.
I think we have gone from a top 6 team to a decent chance at top 4 & a trophy with the right breaks.

Last edited:
Nope I put 7 and then explained my reasoning in the thread.

But might as well join the masses and make up shit about me that I never did or said.

Lol.... Not only did you claim not to commonly do this; now you claim to be conspired against by the masses.

You're such a tool!

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
Tottenham wanted the Dane in the January window but it was not possible then. However, as his contract reached its final year so Spurs were able to push for a bargain deal for Hojbjerg.

With Kyle Walker-Peters heading to Southampton, the north London club paid just £3million more for the 25-year-old midfielder.

Mourinho wanted him for his strong personality and leadership as well as his natural ability and workrate and he's proved since what a bargain Tottenham have got. 9

Joe Hart

The former England goalkeeper became available on a free and as another player with medals in his CV and a big character, he fit the Mourinho mould.

Believed to be coming in on less wages than Michel Vorm, he is not only a cheaper option but has taken the number two spot from Paulo Gazzaniga.

It's not a sexy signing but its a solid one which is why Hart gets a solid mark. 6

Matt Doherty

The Irishman was another player that Mourinho had pinpointed as someone he wanted.

Tottenham wrapped up a remarkably cheap deal for Doherty. Just £13.5million with no add-ons for a right-back who was second only to Trent Alexander-Arnold for chances created in the Premier League over the past two years.

The 28-year-old will have to do some adapting to being a right-back again rather than a wing-back but he can become a big part of Spurs' armoury. 8

Gareth Bale

He's come home and it's an incredible deal for Tottenham.

Spurs are paying roughly 40 per cent of Bale's Real Madrid wages and it's believed that chairman Daniel Levy even re-negotiated the deal when the extent of the Welshman's knee injury was discovered meaning Spurs would not pay until he was fit.

He might be 31 but Bale is fresh from a season of little action. When he gets warmed up he's a world class player who has won everything. Tottenham's free-kicks will certainly step up a notch this season. What a return. 10

Sergio Reguilon

Tottenham didn't even go into the transfer window looking for a left-back but a decision was made that if Reguilon became available for a good price, they would make a move.

They did and the 23-year-old Spaniard has already proven against Chelsea and Manchester United that he's going to be a star.

He's got pace, attacking intent and he can defend. On top of that he's got confidence aplenty and has already got big game experience despite his age.

He would have got a 10 were it not for that buy-back clause which means Real Madrid can sign him back in the summer of either 2021 or 2022 if they want and he agrees.

Spurs will hope he falls in love with the north London club and does not want to return to the Spanish capital as just another left-back. 9

Carlos Vinicius

It only took 14 months for Tottenham to sign a new striker but one finally arrived in the shape of 25-year-old Brazilian Carlos Vinicius.

He's a late bloomer, having switched from centre-back to become a forward during his career, but he had a real breakthrough season for Benfica last time around, scoring 24 goals and laying on 13 assists while finishing joint top scorer in Liga Nos.

There's of course an element of it being a gamble on whether he can adapt to the Premier League, but much of that risk has been negated with the 6ft 3ins front man because Levy managed to get him for a loan fee of just £2.7million, with an option to sign him permanently for £38million.

That deal, which allows Spurs to try before they buy, adds another point on to his mark and if he dazzles it will be even more of a bargain. 8

Overall £3m laid out for Hojbjerg, nothing for Hart, £13.5m for MD, a Bale freebie and something like £28m for Sergio, whereby if Real Madrid want him back it will cost a further £15m for them to do so. (Vinícius for £2.7m also)

Basically means whatever we have laid out this summer is instantly recouped should Real Madrid want Regulion back. It really is astonishing business and absolutely looks like due to our prudent behaviour financially before that we have taken advantage of very unfortunate circumstances in most ways we could. Another benefit to being well run is a financial upper hand in times where prices dip, fair play for using this moment to do so I say.

Our season so far is
Non exciting pre season
Europa Cup-3 easy teams and we had scares in away games and yes won the home game easily but we were expected to do this
League Cup-draw against Chelsea and winning on penalties. A change in attitude and showed a winning mentality
PL 1 point from 2 Home Matches is below standard
2 outstanding Victories away being the highlight and winning 6-1 away to MU almost in it's self would lift feelings but
Why is there such a feel good feeling and Belief around
It is the improvement in the squad from an outstanding transfer window. Several of them already showing their worth and Bale & Carlos still to come. The resilience and attitude shown to get us through 4 matches in a week unscathed. The feeling that we are toughening up and unlike last season not just playing defensively. Ndombele starting to perform. The future looks bright but lose to the Spammers after the International break and it will all go pear shape.

Back again.....

9/10 Window, beyond my wildest dreams. Skrinniar would have made it 10/10

8/10 Hart - Reserve GK, as sound as Gazza is its a waste using a foreign place for sub GK
7/10 Doherty - Not seen alot of him. Hes seems ok, but may grow into it once he settles. Brought the best out of Aurier after the Man U game
10/10 Reguilon - Quick, Dribbler, two feet, cross, shoot. Perfect and provides balance like we havnt had since peak Rose and Walker
8/10 PEH - Has grown in stature the last week or two with good games against Chelsea and Man U. He looks like our midfield general. lovely assist for Aurier too.
10/10 Bale
8/10 Vinicious - Cant really do better for the money. Unknown quantity. But best we can get right now.

Carlos Vinicius

He's a late bloomer, having switched from centre-back to become a forward during his career,

Center back crisis solved.

I've been criticising Mourinho all morning and I think I'm right to do that.
But I'm looking at our squad and if I was in charge in an ideal world I would sell like half our squad.
Loads of the players aren't good enough to start and some shouldn't even be in the squad at all.

I think whoever is in charge this summer there needs to be a major shakeup. This squad has stagnated too much and half the first XI we put out week in week out probably isn't good enough.

I also think the players are perhaps looking really bad in Mourinho's negative tactics but still all our defenders are prone to errors and we have some very average attackers in this squad.

Let's go into our squad in depth

Please feel free to respond to my critiquing of this squad as its all always subject to opinion

Lloris - Keep - He's 1st choice
Hart - I'd keep him simply for homegrown numbers but make him 3rd choice.
Gazzaniga - Sell

Doherty - Sell
Aurier - Sell
Rodon - Keep - He's got potential
Tanganga - Keep - He's got potential
Alderweireld - Keep - probably our best CB but in decline
Sanchez - Sell
Dier - Sell
Foyth - Sell
Davies - Keep - BUT as backup must not be starting in important games
Reguilon - Keep
Sessegnon - Keep

Hojbjerg - Keep
Ndombele - Keep
Lo Celso - Keep
Winks - Not sure on him , he's homegrown and would be good for the squad but perhaps we could make a profit.
Sissoko - Unsure on him too , versatile and useful for a squad but that's about it
Skipp - Keep
Dele - Sell
Lamela - Sell
Moura - Keep - Only as a squad member
Clarke - Keep - potential
Bergwijn - Keep
Son - Keep
Bale - return to Madrid

Kane - Keep
Vinicius - Jury's out. If he impresses this season keep if not return and look for another ST.
Parrott - Keep -potential

Think I've covered everyone

Let's go into our squad in depth

Please feel free to respond to my critiquing of this squad as its all always subject to opinion

Lloris - Keep - He's 1st choice.
Hart - I'd keep him simply for homegrown numbers but make him 3rd choice. Agree
Gazzaniga - Sell

Doherty - Sell
Aurier - Sell
Sanchez - Sell
Dier - Sell
Foyth - Sell
Reguilon - Keep
Sessegnon - Keep

Hojbjerg - Keep
Ndombele - Keep
Lo Celso - Keep
Winks - Not sure on him , he's homegrown and would be good for the squad but perhaps we could make a profit.
Sissoko - Unsure on him too , versatile and useful for a squad but that's about it
Skipp - Keep
Dele - Sell
Lamela - Sell
Moura - Keep - Only as a squad member
Bergwijn - Keep
Son - Keep
Bale - return to Madrid

Kane - Keep
Vinicius - Jury's out. If he impresses this season keep if not return and look for another ST.

Think I've covered everyone
Lloris - Keep - He's 1st choice............Agree but look for replacement due to age
Gazzaniga - Sell

Doherty - Sell
Aurier - Sell
Sanchez - Sell
Dier - Sell................Keep as back up
Foyth - Sell
Reguilon - Keep
Sessegnon - Keep

Hojbjerg - Keep
Ndombele - Keep
Lo Celso - Keep
Sissoko - Unsure on him too , versatile and useful for a squad but that's about it.........Replace, due to age
Skipp - Keep
Dele - Sell
Lamela - Sell
Moura - Keep - Only as a squad member...........Sell, age and rins into dead ends
Bergwijn - Keep.............As squad player, maybe he'll show more under an attacking manager.
Son - Keep
Bale - return to Madrid

Kane - Keep

Lloris - Keep - He's 1st choice............Agree but look for replacement due to age
Gazzaniga - Sell

Doherty - Sell
Aurier - Sell
Sanchez - Sell
Dier - Sell................Keep as back up
Foyth - Sell
Reguilon - Keep
Sessegnon - Keep

Hojbjerg - Keep
Ndombele - Keep
Lo Celso - Keep
Sissoko - Unsure on him too , versatile and useful for a squad but that's about it.........Replace, due to age
Skipp - Keep
Dele - Sell
Lamela - Sell
Moura - Keep - Only as a squad member...........Sell, age and rins into dead ends
Bergwijn - Keep.............As squad player, maybe he'll show more under an attacking manager.
Son - Keep
Bale - return to Madrid

Kane - Keep
Yeah I think next Summer (so end of 21/22 season) that's when the Hugo replacement should be bought in
Moura idk I just think he does well in cup competitions and doesn't get injured at all which is useful
Bergwijn I think under better tactics he'll prove what a talent he is
Sissoko yeah fair enough
Dier - not sure

Interesting thread. We average a 9/10 for the window. While not all the signings turned out great this was better backing than Levy normally gives. Jose certainly can’t say he was backed.

Transfer windows are not just about the players you buy. They are also about clearing stagnant energy.
Fully agree.
We will never clear the shit that has been bought over the last 4-5 years.
They are all on wages that won't be matched by any club lower than Spurs because 90% of them will need to play for a club with far less potential than we have as a club

Back
Top Bottom