Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly but United and Fergie where a different animal, about as guaranteed a trophy even a CL as you would likely ever be at any club.

The PL was so different then. It felt like there was United and everyone else and a different team would try and step up and match them

Imo, Newcastle tried the hardest, at least until Arsene Wenger arrived and started actually challenging Fergie as the best coach rather than just buying players and hoping for the best.
Then Chelski really "disrupted" the establishment.

I can see why Shearer went to Newcastle. 55k sear stadium, fan, money, actual challengers (well, ambition to challenge)

I can't see why a 28 year old who has been at a club for 15 years and repeatedly witnessed how we FAIL to show any ambition year after year and penny pinch at every chance would want to commit the last 3 or 4 years of his career to it when it's actual worse than ever.

I’d add to these comments that it’s 2 weeks less to integrate with his new team, train with his new manager & try to settle in a new country.
And for his new team and manager to train with him and help him try and settle in a new country. Just bizarre antics from the bald dwarf
TBF he would be on hols at the minute . It’s the lowballing tactics that people rave about as clever that gets up my nose.

I’d add to these comments that it’s 2 weeks less to integrate with his new team, train with his new manager & try to settle in a new country.
And for his new team and manager to train with him and help him try and settle in a new country. Just bizarre antics from the bald dwarf
As has been said on here multiple times, he's away on holiday after competing in the Copa America. Completing the deal 2 weeks ago would have had no impact on his integration.

As for complaining about taking 2 weeks to close a £50M plus deal...
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Midfielders: Pierre-Emile Hojberg, Harry Winks, Moussa Sissoko, Giovani Lo Celso, Dele Alli, Tanguy Ndombele, Oliver Skipp, Ryan Sessegnon.

Do we have enough MFs without those two?

I think we just need a proper DMF/anchor man.

Midfielders: Pierre-Emile Hojberg, Harry Winks, Moussa Sissoko, Giovani Lo Celso, Dele Alli, Tanguy Ndombele, Oliver Skipp, Ryan Sessegnon.

I wouldn’t put Sess as a central midfielder. It really depends on John and Devine as to whether they will cover the conference league and other cup games. Personally I would look to bring in one more just because Lo Celso and Ndombele don’t exactly have the greatest injury records.

The other day I was thinking about Modric and how he wanted to go to Chelsea but we decided to keep him for another season. He still carried on playing as well as ever and I thought Kane might be the same but I am starting to wonder. Modric wasn't going to the tabloids saying "Here I am! 160 mil and 400 grand a week and I'm yours. Come and get me!"
Modric, or his representatives, went to the tabloids banging on about the "Gentleman's agreement" he "allegedly" had with Levy, to move when an offer that suited him came in.

I think we just need a proper DMF/anchor man.

In my opinion, yes. Bryan Gil is also a midfielder, isn’t he?
I think we’ve got some youngsters who can get involved too particularly in the cup games.

As has been said on here multiple times, he's away on holiday after competing in the Copa America. Completing the deal 2 weeks ago would have had no impact on his integration.

As for complaining about taking 2 weeks to close a £50M plus deal...
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
It’s not one deal it’s most deals where we low ball. Take two weeks get Atlanta down by 10-15 m hats off. Negotiate for 2 weeks to pay what you could have done earlier is crap

Which club won ths negotiation?

Sure as hell wasn’t us, so let’s have no Don Levy or Levy time crap

In my opinion, yes. Bryan Gil is also a midfielder, isn’t he?
I think we’ve got some youngsters who can get involved too particularly in the cup games.
Bryan's an out-and-out winger, you're better off classifying him as a "forward" which is how he's listed in Spanish squad lists (at the Olympics for example).

From what I've seen in the last couple of years he'd be an appalling central midfielder

Last edited:

Unless there's something wrong with this guy's behaviour I can't figure why he hasn't found a buyer yet, thought he was pretty good for Liverpool outside of one suspect performance. Young guy landed in a new country, to a team with 3 first choice CB's out injured I thought he acquitted himself well.

It’s not one deal it’s most deals where we low ball. Take two weeks get Atlanta down by 10-15 m hats off. Negotiate for 2 weeks to pay what you could have done earlier is crap

Which club won ths negotiation?

Sure as hell wasn’t us, so let’s have no Don Levy or Levy time crap
Who "won" the negotiations? Seriously?

I keep seeing this complaint about low balling. It's a negotiation tactic, much the same as haggling. Seller starts at a price over and above their "actual" valuation for a player. Buying club comes in at a price lower. Both parties haggle until a price is agreed that both parties are happy with. That is the key element here, a price that both parties are happy with, otherwise the sale doesn't take place.

We've spent 2 weeks tying up a £50M plus deal. There will be a multitude of clauses in the contract that both clubs will have had lawyers poring over, crossing out, counteroffering etc. If this has been done in 2 weeks that's actually quite impressive.

I wouldn’t put Sess as a central midfielder. It really depends on John and Devine as to whether they will cover the conference league and other cup games. Personally I would look to bring in one more just because Lo Celso and Ndombele don’t exactly have the greatest injury records.
I think we need someone like Idrissa Guey.

He gets plenty of cards but it sort of comes with that kind or player.

I agree quite a lot especially the first part.

It is so much more meaningful to win a trophy with your boyhood club, fans who adore you and in much harder settings than to win a trophy at City.
It will mean so much more here.

What I'll say on Kane is he hasn't actually talken to Nuno/paratici yet. Let's see what project they present him. I've also maintained that if we can have a good window then that already goes some way to matching Kane's ambition.
Of course, but we all know he won’t the league with Spurs whilst Levy is here

Who "won" the negotiations? Seriously?

I keep seeing this complaint about low balling. It's a negotiation tactic, much the same as haggling. Seller starts at a price over and above their "actual" valuation for a player. Buying club comes in at a price lower. Both parties haggle until a price is agreed that both parties are happy with. That is the key element here, a price that both parties are happy with, otherwise the sale doesn't take place.

We've spent 2 weeks tying up a £50M plus deal. There will be a multitude of clauses in the contract that both clubs will have had lawyers poring over, crossing out, counteroffering etc. If this has been done in 2 weeks that's actually quite impressive.
But Atlanta didn’t come down

On the rare occasion Baldy does a cheap deal or sells high , we have Don Levy or Levy time shouted from the roof top. Most of us believe he has missed countless opportunities and failed countless managers, so actually that is why I and many others feel like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom