Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn't seem like that's enough to get us reliably challenging for trophies.

We need top quality CMs, not just free/cheap ones.
I'd love someone like Bissouma to come in.

But I don't think it's the end of the world if we get say Eriksen and another unspectacular but solid Bentancur type IF we also get a really top drawer wing back and a CB upgrade to replace Davies/provide cover across the back 3. Bless him but big Dav is just too shit on the ball.

Add to that swapping Bergjwin for another genuine attacking rotation option (Leao, David, Martinez) and I think we are in a good place.

We would have solid cover in all the areas we lack now, e.g.:

Lloris
Romero - Dier - P. Torres
RWB - Skipp - Bentancur - Sess
Martinez - Kane - Son
Subs:
Johnstone
Davies
Emerson
Reguilon
Eriksen
Hojbjerg
Kulusevski
Lucas
Some of our middling starters now would be there for great squad depth and we wouldn't need a bench full of kids.

It gives flexibility to play in a midfield 3 with plenty of variety in attack.

As for trophies I'm not sure we can go from Nunoball to title challengers in the space of a year. We have to prioritise and improve in each window.

I don't think we'll win the league next year but I fancy us for top 3. A lot will also depend on how Conte juggles the league and cups as to whether we can go deep in any competition.

Are Brozovic and Perisic still out of contract in the summer? Two no brainer signings for us surely, assuming they'd be interested. Already done the business in Conte's system, add Eriksen and that's 3 players in who would improve us for no transfer fee. Johnstone on a free as back up keeper. All of a sudden, 6-8 signings doesn't seem unrealistic when half of them could be free transfers.

Are Brozovic and Perisic still out if contract in the summer? Two no brainer signings for us surely, assuming they'd be interested. Already done the business in Conte's system, add Eriksen and that's 3 players in who would improve us for no transfer fee. Johnstone on a free as back up keeper. All of a sudden, 6-8 signings doesn't seem unrealistic when half of them could be free transfers.
Brozovic signed new contract while Perisic is probably leaving on free

If we sell Reggy, we could throw a shit load of money at Milan for Theo Hernandez - he would be an animal under Conte (I will stop fanaticising now)
Would be great, but I think he's very happy with Milan for now. And might know he's good enough to move to a better club than Spurs next summer. But agree, he'd be unreal for us.

I'd love someone like Bissouma to come in.

But I don't think it's the end of the world if we get say Eriksen and another unspectacular but solid Bentancur type IF we also get a really top drawer wing back and a CB upgrade to replace Davies/provide cover across the back 3. Bless him but big Dav is just too shit on the ball.

Add to that swapping Bergjwin for another genuine attacking rotation option (Leao, David, Martinez) and I think we are in a good place.

We would have solid cover in all the areas we lack now, e.g.:

Lloris
Romero - Dier - P. Torres
RWB - Skipp - Bentancur - Sess
Martinez - Kane - Son
Subs:
Johnstone
Davies
Emerson
Reguilon
Eriksen
Hojbjerg
Kulusevski
Lucas
Some of our middling starters now would be there for great squad depth and we wouldn't need a bench full of kids.

It gives flexibility to play in a midfield 3 with plenty of variety in attack.

As for trophies I'm not sure we can go from Nunoball to title challengers in the space of a year. We have to prioritise and improve in each window.

I don't think we'll win the league next year but I fancy us for top 3. A lot will also depend on how Conte juggles the league and cups as to whether we can go deep in any competition.
Still bent is not top draw fir what we need. Biss in there with skipp would be great and get Ericksen or some else creative in the side. Bent is looking pretty average tbh.

Doesn't seem like that's enough to get us reliably challenging for trophies.

We need top quality CMs, not just free/cheap ones.

I thought you saw Eriksen as a suitable option for the 2 x CM tho'?

In which case:

Skipp / Eriksen
(PEH / B'cur)

Personally I think we need a true boss CM to run shit in the first XI to assert a level of dominance that we don't currently have in our ranks.

What is it specifically about Eriksen that makes him more unsuitable in a 2 man midfield than the likes of Bentancur, PEH, Skipp?

[from Burnley match thread]

We are outnumbered 2 v 3 in MF most games and therefor we need a level of physicality, pressing and tackling that CE doesn't offer if we are gonna assert a degree of dominance.

Additionally, CE is not a DLP type. His creativity will be stiffled if you play him too deep and saddle him with too much ball-winning responsibility.

Shame for us about Brozovic, but Perisic would be great I think.

Probably a no go, but I wonder if Conte would be interested in Matic on a free from Utd. Only because he played so well for him at Chelsea. Obviously a few more miles on the clock since then though.
Please no his generally crap for manure why do we want another overseas older player. What is wrong with promoting from within? Surely you’d rather see young harvey given a chance than matic?

Please no his generally crap for manure why do we want another overseas older player. What is wrong with promoting from within? Surely you’d rather see young harvey given a chance than matic?
I think Matic is past his best so it probably won't happen,just curious whether Conte still rates him as he was great in his system a few years ago.

I'm all for promoting from within if the player is good enough, I think Skipp showed the best way for a youngster to get that promotion is to go on loan and prove what they are capable of.

I thought you saw Eriksen as a suitable option for the 2 x CM tho'?

In which case:

Skipp / Eriksen
(PEH / B'cur)

Personally I think we need a true boss CM to run shit in the first XI to assert a level of dominance that we don't currently have in our ranks.

[from Burnley match thread]

We are outnumbered 2 v 3 in MF most games and therefor we need a level of physicality, pressing and tackling that CE doesn't offer if we are gonna assert a degree of dominance.

Additionally, CE is not a DLP type. His creativity will be stiffled if you play him too deep and saddle him with too much ball-winning responsibility.
If CE returns, presumably Conte would use him as at Inter, in a midfield 3 (352).

If CE returns, presumably Conte would use him as at Inter, in a midfield 3 (352).

Yup.

[WB] / [CM] / [DM] / Eriksen / [WB]
Kane / Son

Or

[WB] / [CM1] / [CM2] / [WB]
Eriksen / Son
Kane

Or

[WB] / [CM1] / [CM2] / [WB]
Eriksen / Kane / Son

Last edited:
Do you want us to challenge for the title? If so, we need to sign a really good LWB!

Other than that we need a RWB, two CB´s, two central midfielders, and a striker.

My preference would be not for a backup CF but a player like Son who could play across the 3 .. which will be hard to find but much more preferable than a Vinicius type who will just sit on the bench.

LCB, LWB, CM, RWB are the main issues. Don't think we can afford two central defenders in the same window with so many other problems to deal with.

My preference would be not for a backup CF but a player like Son who could play across the 3 .. which will be hard to find but much more preferable than a Vinicius type who will just sit on the bench.

LCB, LWB, CM, RWB are the main issues. Don't think we can afford two central defenders in the same window with so many other problems to deal with.
I'm beginning to think- is LCB even a priority?

I know we can do better than Davies, but would it make a huge impact to our team?

If we upgrade LWB to Angelino or Hernandez that could make a bigger impact.

I know we can do better than Davies, but would it make a huge impact to our team?

Talking about Theo Hernandez (who I think is beyond Spurs' budget)...he scored a cracker against Atalanta (1:45):
(Both Lucas Hernandez (Bayern M) and Theo Hernandez joined Atletico Madrid back in 2007. And yes, they are brothers and sons of former l'OM center-back Jean-Francois Hernandez).

Last edited:
Do you want us to challenge for the title? If so, we need to sign a really good LWB!

Other than that we need a RWB, two CB´s, two central midfielders, and a striker.
Over the last three matches Sess HAS been a really good wingback. At the end of the day it's a zero sum game, and we have other serious holes in the squad: RWB, LCB, two forwards to replace Bergwijn (who's leaving) and Lucas (who's shit), creative CM, and if we're being honest a keeper, because Lloris is not at his best at this point of his career.

Definitely. There are other priorities but we shouldn't be only signing 2-3 players this window .. and I think Conte would like 2 left sided centre backs in the squad for the start of the next season, especially when we're in Europe.

In order of priority: RWB, CM, LWB, LCB, versatile attacker.

Back
Top Bottom