Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
T
I didn't say anything in specific regard to you..... But I'm sure it would be relatively easy to fund lots of examples of you doing what I just described.

Of course it's a shame we are in the midst of a trophy drout....... Pretty redundant line of query, that.
Thanks for confirming I didn't say it, that means a lot,👍
As for redundant line l, no it isn't, it's a fact, we are free to voice those POV or concerns.
You yourself are vocal on this forum, we have to respect each others pov, whether we agree or not, because sometimes you get it wrong mate, like us lesser people 😁👍

Any club, especially in a cup competition, can catch lightning in a bottle once. Spam has reached 2 cup finals in the past 43 years and they won one through sheer luck. In the same time period we have reached 11 finals, 6 of them under the current regime which includes the big one in 2019. And we have been unlucky in losing 5 of these 6, but that's cup football: in a one-off game anything can happen.

So it's not damning that lesser teams have won a trophy in their one shot at it. What would be damning is if those lesser teams consistently made it to cup finals and we didn't, regardless of what the results in those finals was.
I don't really agree that getting all the way to the final of a cup competition is quite like catching lightning in a bottle...

You're right that winning a cup doesn't make you the best team, else one team would just win all of the cups each season, but generally speaking a better team should have a better chance at winning a cup.

When you consider our recent consistent participation in European competition until now, as opposed to West Ham's, added to the domestic cups, we've also had greater opportunity as well as greater capability.

6 finals under the current regime sounds better than 1 trophy, but it's still 23(?) years, 6 finals in 23 years isn't all that impressive for a club as big as we like to think we are, and part of the frustration for me at least is that it feels like there have been many clear opportunities for more.

I'm personally just fed up of us seemingly turning our noses up at competitions like the Europa League, Europa Conference, League Cup, it's nonsense. If you happen to find yourself in one of these "mickey mouse" European tournaments, newsflash, you aren't too good to be in it, and if somehow you still feel that you are, then prove your ability by beating everyone else in it!

You never understood about paying up your bet that YOU lost.
Trying your dismissive game doesn't work on me cunt, never mind not to worry darling 🤡

Don't you fucking dare!

I tagged you 4-5 times asking what charity you wanted to be paid and you didn't reply.

(When I get home i'll pay one of my choice instead and post evidenced)

You're a dishonest, illiterate fucking imbecile..... Fuck off.

Last edited:
No stupider than peddling the notion that because WH won last night THFC suddenly became a worse team.

As much as some are petrified of oppo fan banter; as was entirely predictable, they're even more determined to generate new narratives in order to hate on us all by themselves.

If one envies perpetual relegation candidates and/or actual relegated teams as a means to undermine us then one needs to take a long hard look at themselves
You can envy something about another without envying everything about another though.

For me it's the very fact that West Ham are so gash that makes it even more infuriating to see them lifting a trophy. I don't want to see us win a cup for some kind of validation that we're really fucking great (although that would be nice too...) I want to see it so that I can go fucking mental watching an injury time winner to seal said cup.

Last edited:
I don't really agree that getting all the way to the final of a cup competition is quite like catching lightning in a bottle...

You're right that winning a cup doesn't make you the best team, else one team would just win all of the cups each season, but generally speaking a better team should have a better chance at winning a cup.

When you consider our recent consistent participation in European competition until now, as opposed to West Ham's, added to the domestic cups, we've also had greater opportunity as well as greater capability.

6 finals under the current regime sounds better than 1 trophy, but it's still 23(?) years, 6 finals in 23 years isn't all that impressive for a club as big as we like to think we are, and part of the frustration for me at least is that it feels like there have been many clear opportunities for more.

I'm personally just fed up of us seemingly turning our noses up at competitions like the Europa League, Europa Conference, League Cup, it's nonsense. If you happen to find yourself in one of these "mickey mouse" European tournaments, newsflash, you aren't too good to be in it, and if somehow you still feel that you are, then prove your ability by beating everyone else in it!
We also live in age where Man City and Chelsea have had ridiculous amounts of Cash pumped into them by a friend of Putin and Petro State with terrible human rights record

We also live in age where Man City and Chelsea have had ridiculous amounts of Cash pumped into them by a friend of Putin and Petro State with terrible human rights record
But that's the same for the rest of the field too...

Even more reason not to turn our noses up at competitions such as Europa Cup/Conf, as these are the only ones where we can almost certainly avoid the clubs with cheat mode enabled.

You can envy something about another without envying everything about another though.

That, you can.... Fact remains though; Spurs didn't magically get worse last night.

Hypothetically, I envy what Klopp did at Liverpool; not that which WH, Villa or Everton stumble into during their otherwise generally depressing existence..... Nor do I feel embarrassed by them; be it winning back to back trf windows only to become relegation botherers on the brink of financial collapse (ironically, EFC really HAVE 'done a Leeds'. LOL) or that one of them won their first (mid-level) trophy in 43 years.

That, you can.... Fact remains though; Spurs didn't magically get worse last night.

Hypothetically, I envy what Klopp did at Liverpool; not that which WH, Villa or Everton stumble into during their otherwise generally depressing existence..... Nor do I feel embarrassed by them; be it winning back to back trf windows only to become relegation botherers on the brink of financial collapse (ironically, EFC really HAVE 'done a Leeds'. LOL) or that one of them won their first (mid-level) trophy in 43 years.
No obviously, but West Ham winning added salt to the wound of frustration that is our lack of silverware, which inevitably leads to an outpouring of moaning about our own shortcomings.

I certainly don't envy the way that West Ham have won their cup, but I definitely envy the simple fact that they've won it.

Fuck me spanners they’ve flogged their bodies for every last drop

In messi’s case he was jacked up on steroids from 14. Hrs hardly missed any football for the best part of 20 years at 50 games a season

Footballers used to do 21 to 30 and conk out

For messi to not be the outstanding player in the French league tells you all you need to know about how he felt physically

And wouldn’t want you to be my doctor … some clemency surely
Didn't know about the steroids....you're probably right...I withdraw my comment...

No obviously, but West Ham winning added salt to the wound of frustration that is our lack of silverware, which inevitably leads to an outpouring of moaning about our own shortcomings.

I certainly don't envy the way that West Ham have won their cup, but I definitely envy the simple fact that they've won it.

Sure. It's the excessive degree & the fatalism of some that I find myself bucking against...... The pouring of petrol on the proverbial fire.

And of course the hypocrisy..... A lot of the same angry people would have spent much of the last 2 years ridiculing the Conf.Lg.

Personally I would rather be in it next year for these very frustrations......

(Perhsps some of these comments are a better fit in the WH or Match threads but can't be fucked having the same convo 3 times.)

Last edited:
Sure. It's the excessive degree & the fatalism of some that I find myself bucking against...... The pouring of petrol on the proverbial fire.

And of course the hypocrisy..... A lot of the same angry people would have spent much of the last 2 years ridiculing the Conf.Lg.

Personally I would rather be in it next year for these very frustrations......
Yeah I would too, I want us to win every game we play, even in pre-season...

The age old conundrum of wanting to miss out on Europe in order to better focus on qualifying for Europe next year forever baffles me, and as for the notion that it's better not to win a tournament for fear of being bantered for winning said tournament...

:ange-hands-head:

For me it's the very fact that West Ham are so gash that makes it even more infuriating to see them lifting a trophy. I don't want to see us win a cup for some kind of validation that we're really fucking great (although that would be nice too...) I want to see it so that I can go fucking mental watching an injury time winner to seal said cup.
Sorry if I am cutting across a thread, but I don’t think anyone of us needs to look @ West Ham with any envy. As nice as last minute winners are, would any of us swap Lucas’ for thier goal last night ? I don’t think so.

Do we look at Bolton and think “I wish we won the Papa Johns” this year ? I know I don’t.

First off we were not in the Papa Johns (our mens team ) and second, it’s shit.

We were not in the Conference league and that’s absolutely shit too, despite what Robbie Savage might indicate, when clearly pissed or coked up.

When West Ham finished above us in 2021 I was furious. But that was a real insult, not last night.

This year they finished 20 odd points below us. By finishing 6 places below us they earned £6m less approx. By winning last night they gained approx £8m. So even on cold finances it was ridiculous how “serious” they took the whole thing, they could well have gone down due to this shit competition.

Keep the faith 😎 Much rather us than them.

Last edited:
But that's the same for the rest of the field too...

Even more reason not to turn our noses up at competitions such as Europa Cup/Conf, as these are the only ones where we can almost certainly avoid the clubs with cheat mode enabled.
Never thought we should. I wonder why our squad ever thought they were above these competitions. The fact is we as a fanbase have become entitled. Poch made us think we were better than we were and that includes our ownership. We are now in a situation where we need a major rebuild and I am not sure their is even many foundations to build on that were there in 2019.

Back
Top Bottom