Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Law And Order Ugh GIF by ION Mystery

How much will MLS pay him?
According to Forbes he was offered about €400M a year in Saudi Arabia, and was making about €40M at PSG a year and This salary cap for ones whole MLS team is $5,2M a year 2023. So I guess he would have made about 10 times as much staying in PSG and 100 times as much going to Saudi. I think we can conclude that he didn't go there for money.

Last edited:
I don't really agree that getting all the way to the final of a cup competition is quite like catching lightning in a bottle...

You're right that winning a cup doesn't make you the best team, else one team would just win all of the cups each season, but generally speaking a better team should have a better chance at winning a cup.

When you consider our recent consistent participation in European competition until now, as opposed to West Ham's, added to the domestic cups, we've also had greater opportunity as well as greater capability.

6 finals under the current regime sounds better than 1 trophy, but it's still 23(?) years, 6 finals in 23 years isn't all that impressive for a club as big as we like to think we are, and part of the frustration for me at least is that it feels like there have been many clear opportunities for more.

I'm personally just fed up of us seemingly turning our noses up at competitions like the Europa League, Europa Conference, League Cup, it's nonsense. If you happen to find yourself in one of these "mickey mouse" European tournaments, newsflash, you aren't too good to be in it, and if somehow you still feel that you are, then prove your ability by beating everyone else in it!
And therein lies the problem. We think we are bigger than we are.

And I agree with your last sentence. Very well put. Somehow I do not think that is the intent, though, neither from the managers nor from the players. With the exception of the 2019 CL run we just seem to be crap at these knockout ties, domestic competitions included. I don't know what the root cause is, but I do know that a big part of it has to do with the manager. It's interesting that with Harry and Poch we made good runs in the CL and the domestic cups, whereas with other managers it's been meh. And I don't think it has anything to do with prioritizing top 4, because every manager rotates his team when playing a League 1 opponent and when there is fixture congestion.

I'm hoping that Ange puts an end to all this. If we failed before because we thought we would waltz through a lower level opponent, or because we shit our pants at the occasion, he seems like the kind of manager that will set this straight.

Not nearly what he was offered by the Saudis. MLS team wage caps are set to just over $5 mil USD.
Yeah, but the commercial deals they will set him up will be in the 10s, if not 100s of millions. Beckham's total compensation (including commercial) came out to about $250 million when he joined LA Galaxy and that was 15 years ago when football wasn't even that popular in the States. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo, a household name even in the States, got something similar, if not more.

Estimate on how many first teamers shown the door ?
Including end of loans.

If the club is serious people then about 10 minimum. I reckon it will be about 8 but if they make 10 or more I will be confident they are taking the rebuild the way it should be.

Yeah, but the commercial deals they will set him up will be in the 10s, if not 100s of millions. Beckham's total compensation (including commercial) came out to about $250 million when he joined LA Galaxy and that was 15 years ago when football wasn't even that popular in the States. I wouldn't be surprised if Leo, a household name even in the States, got something similar, if not more.
Beckham was given the right to purchase an MLS team (in 2007) for $25M. That turned into a purchase of Inter Miami which is now valued at $600M. Not sure if that kind of promise was made to Messi. This from The Athletic...

How are MLS and Inter Miami enticing Messi?​

MLS’s offer to Messi involves contributions from the league’s two biggest commercial partners.

Multiple sources involved in or briefed on the high-level league discussions said earlier this week that MLS and Apple have discussed offering Messi a share of the revenue generated by new subscribers to MLS Season Pass, the league’s streaming package on Apple TV+. Both sides view Messi’s potential involvement in Major League Soccer as a boon; Apple and MLS signed a 10-year, $2.5billion agreement this spring. On Tuesday, Apple revealed that a four-part docuseries chronicling Messi’s five World Cup appearances would stream on Apple TV+.

AppleTV’s verified Twitter account tweeted the word ‘Miami’ on Wednesday, before the tweet was deleted.

Adidas, which is among MLS’ largest corporate sponsors, has prepared its own potential arrangement to entice Messi to the United States, multiple sources briefed on those plans told The Athletic on Tuesday. Messi is being offered a profit-sharing agreement with the sportswear giant, those sources said, which would involve the player receiving a cut of any increase in Adidas’ profits resulting from his involvement in MLS.

Adidas has partnered with MLS since the league’s inception in 1996. The two sides renewed their partnership earlier this year, signing a six-year, $830million extension that runs through 2030. The German manufacturer supplies kits to all 29 MLS teams and also designs the league’s official match ball and is the league’s official footwear sponsor.

Definite bye bye:

Lloris
Tanganga
Davinson
Perisic
Reguillon
Winks
Lo Celso

Probably/Possibly:

Dier
Davies
Hojberg
Gil
Ndombele

Don't count:

Damjuma
Lenglet

Then there is Kane...

so definitely 7 (9 including end loans)
Possibly up to 11 (13 including end loans)
Don't forget about Ryan Sessegnon.

Definite bye bye:

Lloris
Tanganga
Davinson
Perisic
Reguillon
Winks
Lo Celso

Probably/Possibly:

Dier
Davies
Hojberg
Gil
Ndombele

Don't count:

Damjuma

Lenglet

Then there is Kane...

so definitely 7 (9 including end loans)
Possibly up to 11 (13 including end loans)

Maybe not in terms of trf/sales, but they (and Lucas) absolutely do count in the sense that squad berths are still being vacated that will presumably need to be filled.

I'd start with definate exits and work from there:

Afterall the focus is (re)building a squad; not handing out medals for who can do the most deals in a window.

Maybe not in terms of trf/sales, but they (and Lucas) absolutely do count in the sense that squad berths are still being vacated that will presumably need to be filled.

I'd start with definate exits and work from there:

Afterall the focus is (re)building a squad; not handing out meddles for who can do the most deals in a window.
Lucas as well so that's 8 definitely not here next season.

Back
Top Bottom