Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the point I’ve tried to make a few times. Bissouma may not be flawless, but it really won’t be easy to replicate his skill set and upgrade them as a package, certainly not many spring to mind to me. Liverpool and Woolwich both play similar structures and haven’t solved the 6 issue. Woolwich spent 100m on Rice and have ended up using him as a btb8 in a Sarr type remit a lot of the time. Liverpool have used MacAllister and ended up with Endo on a budget.

Chelsea spent a ton on Caicedo - is he better all round than Bissouma?

That combo of Athletic/mobility, technique, defensive capability, press resistance, ball carrying, reliable passing is a pretty unique - add in PL ready and 25m it’s a bit unicorny.

There’s only three midfielders in the league with better defensive metrics, there’s only three midfielders with more reliable passing metrics (and he makes nearly twice as many passes per 90 as the other two) top 2O percentile for progressive passe, carries and take ons for all midfielders in the league.

As you say, someone like DeJong maybe - but big fee or salary.

I quite liked Manu Koné at BMG but he’s not had a fantastic year. Baliba at Brighton might be worth watching.

Apart from that there’s players with good qualities but all in one package? For a team with our structure/tactics?

Replicating his skill set when he's on form is not going to happen.

The issue is that he's the most inconsistent player in our team. No way you can rely on the player we have seen this season to help you win things. I like Biss and you know how behind him I was but you have to be ruthless to win and he's just not ruthless enough.

The issue is that he's the most inconsistent player in our team. No way you can rely on the player we have seen this season to help you win things. I like Biss and you know how behind him I was but you have to be ruthless to win and he's just not ruthless enough.

Being 6 in an Ange setup is really tough and I don't know who else could do it to a better level than Bissouma.

This is the point I’ve tried to make a few times. Bissouma may not be flawless, but it really won’t be easy to replicate his skill set and upgrade them as a package, certainly not many spring to mind to me. Liverpool and Woolwich both play similar structures and haven’t solved the 6 issue. Woolwich spent 100m on Rice and have ended up using him as a btb8 in a Sarr type remit a lot of the time. Liverpool have used MacAllister and ended up with Endo on a budget.

Chelsea spent a ton on Caicedo - is he better all round than Bissouma?

That combo of Athletic/mobility, technique, defensive capability, press resistance, ball carrying, reliable passing is a pretty unique - add in PL ready and 25m it’s a bit unicorny.

There’s only three midfielders in the league with better defensive metrics, there’s only three midfielders with more reliable passing metrics (and he makes nearly twice as many passes per 90 as the other two) top 2O percentile for progressive passe, carries and take ons for all midfielders in the league.

As you say, someone like DeJong maybe - but big fee or salary.

I quite liked Manu Koné at BMG but he’s not had a fantastic year. Baliba at Brighton might be worth watching.

Apart from that there’s players with good qualities but all in one package? For a team with our structure/tactics?
I used to listen to punters saying how good Biss was for Brighton but I never saw it,
He was great at the start of this season but let's be kind and say he has not improved.

Said this in another thread; but unless we are playing 433(*) with a single pivot #6, then then we're not reliant upon a 1-man-that-can-do-it-all anchor-man like much of the above suggests.

(*I wish we would; but it feels a LOT more like 2 CMs with Madz buzzing around in a free role these days and has done since before it all went to tits with the Chavs game and the Biss red cards.)

I get this has become a narrative, but I don't think he's any less consistent than Sarr or Maddison (but he's never going to score goals and assists which can mask it) and he's a fuck of a lot more consistent - when contextualised with his remit/responsibilities than the likes of Son, Kulusevski and Johnson who can be utter utter garbage for 95% of games, then score and everyone goes "spunk".

I don't like Bissouma because of his face. I like him because the reasons I gave you above. I gave you examples of teams above us in the league who don't have options for the 6 that are better than BIssouma - and the metrics back it up. Even you couldn't come up with a bunch of better options.

If we upgrade him, great, I'm all for upgrading everyone, I just think it's going to easier to upgrade a bunch of this team than him - for this system.

Calhanoglu plays a lot deeper now and has an excellent passing range.

Again though, he's 30yo and doing it in Ange's system in the PL would be harder. His passing is more incisive than Bissouma's, but less reliable, he's not in his league in terms of defensive ability, progressing the ball passing or carries.

He plays in a slightly different system where he can join the attack more.

The reality is that “world class” players are players like Osimhen and L Martinez.

If you want either, you’re not even getting close to them unless you’re prepared to spend £100m+.

Levy never will. His transfer strategy simply won’t allow us to get those players. We’re always going to be hoping that a player with potential can grow into a top quality player. That means taking punts on players like Brennan Johnson and having to be prepared for them to flop.

The best we can hope for is that FFP creates pressure on other clubs in the same market as us which enables us to squeeze a bit more value out of players.

We definitely need a striker and a RW at a minimum. That’ll give us Kulusevski as back up for RW and AM. Son needs to be our starting LW with Johnson/Solomon as cover with a new striker (goalscorer) brought in to compete with Richarlison.

I doubt we’ll be doing anything in the midfield department. I imagine Lo Celso and Højbjerg will move on, with Bergvall coming in. That gives us Sarr, Bentancur, Bissouma, Skipp and Bergvall with Donley & Devine on the fringes too. Maddison, Kulusevski and Bergvall are all able to play AM. We have a lot of depth there, I just can’t see us doing anything even though there’s no KDB/Modric type player there (which would be nice).
Agree Levy will never spend the money the likes of City/Utd etc spend on one player, but would be more optimistic with Paratici that we can unearth more gems at the right money akin to Udogie and Vicario. I do think FFP is beginning to have an effect and it may take a little time, but prices will have to come down as a result of same.
I disagree with you on Son starting on the left wing, he has become virtually ineffective out there and will only decline further as his pace starts to drop off. Sonny lacks the ability to hold up the ball, but with the right service he can be an effective lone striker or playing off another main striker, like he did with HK. The problem here is Richy is no HK and often has the first touch of a lamppost.
If Bissouma played regularly like he did in the first 10 games and Bents gets back to pre-achilles form, add in Sarr, Bergvall & Madders then yes the middle is fine, but and its a huge if, Bissouma is so inconsistent and lacks the defensive qualities to be the number 6 we need, on his days he can rival the likes of Rodri or Rice, but his days are not often or consistent enough. The same can be said of Madders, forgetting his injury, he had plenty of lean times at Leicester, we just need more quality,so we do not rely on him as much. It looks like Lo Celso, Hoijberg and possibly another may move on and they are likely to be replaced by our youth and one signing, which has to be top quality, not necessarily splurging a load of money, but got to be starting quality and preferably someone with goals in them.
Can see us signing another centre half, a midfielder and possibly a striker and/or pacy winger, all depending on who we get off our books and how FFP plays out.

What does that mean Fab you click harvesting tease...
image_6379805.jpg

In my view, the area that needs most improvement is the midfield. If we take the Fulham game for instance, Romero had more that 2x as many touches (102) of the ball as any player aside from Porro (80).

We aren't playing long ball football, so why is everything going through our centre back? Each time the ball is passed backwards too him it allows the other team to compose themselves and get into shape.

We desperately need midfielders in the mould of Modric / Demebele who can create the space in midfield and bring the ball forward.

I haven't seen Bissouma do that in a Spurs and Bentencaur still not showing signs of returning to his best. They are both capable, but time is running out for the club to make a call on upgrading them over the summer.

With any luck, the sale of Hojbjerg and Lo Celso (and even Ndombelly) will allow us to bring in some elite quality to own the midfield in games.

In my view, the area that needs most improvement is the midfield. If we take the Fulham game for instance, Romero had more that 2x as many touches (102) of the ball as any player aside from Porro (80).

We aren't playing long ball football, so why is everything going through our centre back? Each time the ball is passed backwards too him it allows the other team to compose themselves and get into shape.

We desperately need midfielders in the mould of Modric / Demebele who can create the space in midfield and bring the ball forward.

I haven't seen Bissouma do that in a Spurs and Bentencaur still not showing signs of returning to his best. They are both capable, but time is running out for the club to make a call on upgrading them over the summer.

With any luck, the sale of Hojbjerg and Lo Celso (and even Ndombelly) will allow us to bring in some elite quality to own the midfield in games.

That's how we play, we use the CB to bait the press just like how Brighton use Dunk, they're used as playmakers because they have the ability to find passes.

I get this has become a narrative, but I don't think he's any less consistent than Sarr or Maddison (but he's never going to score goals and assists which can mask it) and he's a fuck of a lot more consistent - when contextualised with his remit/responsibilities than the likes of Son, Kulusevski and Johnson who can be utter utter garbage for 95% of games, then score and everyone goes "spunk".

I don't like Bissouma because of his face. I like him because the reasons I gave you above. I gave you examples of teams above us in the league who don't have options for the 6 that are better than BIssouma - and the metrics back it up. Even you couldn't come up with a bunch of better options.

If we upgrade him, great, I'm all for upgrading everyone, I just think it's going to easier to upgrade a bunch of this team than him - for this system.
Sarr is a kid so inconsistency is normal but he’s had 1 bad game all year. Levels more consistent than Biss.

Maddison I agree and I’m starting to wonder if he’s ruthless enough to be a winner as well. He’s already starting to look comfortable and like the club won’t make him earn it because he’s the man.

End of the day, that Fulham performance was out of order from all of our senior players, except maybe Romero.

We could use a veteran like Walker next season. Someone who knows how ruthless you need to be to win but won’t expect to play every week because that winning culture isn’t coming from the club and Ange can’t be the only one demanding it.

Again though, he's 30yo and doing it in Ange's system in the PL would be harder. His passing is more incisive than Bissouma's, but less reliable, he's not in his league in terms of defensive ability, progressing the ball passing or carries.

He plays in a slightly different system where he can join the attack more.
Yeah he is older but would still be a good signing. He might not have the dribbling and tackling/duel qualities of Bissouma but he's no slouch just a very different type player but could be more effective.

I personally prefer a DM who has that Hollywood pass to open up a defence in a instant when it's on.

I do like Bissouma he has some excellent qualities.
just concerned at his 'switching off' among other things.

also I think he lacks experience at the highest level. He's only ever played 89' minutes of champions league football(with us) and literally no other European football other than a Europa qualifier way back for Lille, which he didn't start.

in this case very much still learning. At 28 he would never have consistently played 2 games a week....is it a concern? for probably our most important position I think it might be.

Don't get me wrong I'm not making a case for him to be sold or anything dramatic just that signing another top midfielder should be a priority.

I thought our midfield was the strongest part of our squad at the start of season but as it's gone on I don't think it is.

Last edited:
Kimmich, Zubimendi, Onana (Everton), Palinha, Fofana (Monaco). These are midfielders who might be ready for sale this summer. The top end PL clubs, as well as the rich teams below us (Chelsea and Man United), will be among the clubs competing for them. We need to be amongst them throwing our weight around.

We cant keep doing half measures if we really want to compete. You cant finesse a Son or Vicario all the time - that is signing a top player for a modest price with no serious competition. Eventually you need to brute force your way to a higher position by spending heavy on a top-quality player in competition with other top clubs.

And if there is no attainable target, keep the power dry. I always had an issue with the Richarlison signing, because for 60m, I would have rather kept the powder dry, find another 20m and be prepared drop 80m on a particular player when that player becomes available. Richarlison was available and attainable - its why we went for him. We need to start signing players that from the offset appear distant and unattainable.

Kimmich, Zubimendi, Onana (Everton), Palinha, Fofana (Monaco). These are midfielders who might be ready for sale this summer. The top end PL clubs, as well as the rich teams below us (Chelsea and Man United), will be among the clubs competing for them. We need to be amongst them throwing our weight around.

We cant keep doing half measures if we really want to compete. You cant finesse a Son or Vicario all the time - that is signing a top player for a modest price with no serious competition. Eventually you need to brute force your way to a higher position by spending heavy on a top-quality player in competition with other top clubs.

And if there is no attainable target, keep the power dry. I always had an issue with the Richarlison signing, because for 60m, I would have rather kept the powder dry, find another 20m and be prepared drop 80m on a particular player when that player becomes available. Richarlison was available and attainable - its why we went for him. We need to start signing players that from the offset appear distant and unattainable.
as well as Modric ...

I guess some of these are likely to sign up for life-changing contracts in Saudi, but having Modric at the club for 2 years could take us to another level.

You’re calling someone who has never played in a top league a “world class” player.

Messi is world class. Ronaldo is world class. Kane is world class. They are called world class for dominating at the highest level.

Gyokeres is not world class. If you think that, you’re a fucking idiot.
He’s a better suited 9 than Son or Richy. World class is a stretch but he certainly looks good enough to improve us and won’t cost Oshimen fees

Back
Top Bottom