Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The name I'm looking out for at LB is Patrick Dorgu from Lecce. There's no way that the club who scouted Destiny Udogie would somehow miss this guy. Paratici probably loves him already.

The name I'm looking out for at LB is Patrick Dorgu from Lecce. There's no way that the club who scouted Destiny Udogie would somehow miss this guy. Paratici probably loves him already.

We were linked at the back end of last year

So not only would Paratici have been aware due to Serie A but Lange likely aware too with the fact Dorgu is Danish.

Sarr is a kid so inconsistency is normal but he’s had 1 bad game all year. Levels more consistent than Biss.

I disagree, and I’ve tried to back this up with evidence, you’re not really doing that, so let’s just agree to disagree.

As far as Sarr goes, I think he’s got some endemic flaws too, that people seem to totally overlook. His technique can get a bit rattled under pressure and his passing is mostly very risk averse in midfield. Hopefully these things iron out and develop.

Maddison I agree and I’m starting to wonder if he’s ruthless enough to be a winner as well. He’s already starting to look comfortable and like the club won’t make him earn it because he’s the man.

Again, like Bissouma, I think he’ll be harder to replace than you think. I’ve been a little disappointed with his creative game, but actually impressed by his “midfield” game. He works harder and is more tactically smart than I thought he was.

End of the day, that Fulham performance was out of order from all of our senior players, except maybe Romero.

Yes, bad day at the office, but also credit to Fulham.

We could use a veteran like Walker next season. Someone who knows how ruthless you need to be to win but won’t expect to play every week because that winning culture isn’t coming from the club and Ange can’t be the only one demanding it.

Walker cannot play the inverted FB remit that Ange plays. Pep said exactly this last season, that he’s not tactically/technically smart enough and dropped him from games where he used it, including a CL Final.

“He cannot do it,” Guardiola said of Walker playing as an inverted full back. “He will always have pace. He will be the fastest in this room at 60 years old. To play inside, you have to make some educated movements. He has other characteristics.

Last edited:
Yet never a bad word has ever been reported from people that count. Team mates and managers past and present have never slagged him off. He’s come across badly in a few interviews granted, but nobody has said a bad word against him that knows him.
It comes down to how much you think the interviews reflect who he will be on the team that signs him. He really didn't come off well. And I wonder if Postecoglou would want a scorer who would be that much a focus. I believe Postecoglou looks to the system to generate goals and would be more concerned with how the player fits the system. I wouldn't say he wanted Kane to leave, but I doubt he minded losing a forward who was not going to be an aggressive presser out of possession.

Illing Jr only has a year left on his contract and is a Base client. 20 yrs old and homegrown so ticks pretty much every box we look for.
Let's get him. While we're at it, let's also bring home that Bynoe-Gittens kiddo from Dortmund. Both young with plenty upside, won't kick up a big fuss about being deputies for Udo/Sonny, and neither should cost the earth. That's our left side sorted for years to come between they and the Italian stallion.

Could do worse than KWP to compete with Porro at RB/RWB. Again, wouldn't need to spend anything in that area for years. and that'd be 3 more Englishmen in.

Add to that an elite DM + FWD and that's a Spurs side that can/will win something.

Iling Jr just feels like a matter of time. He will be a project though. Nit ready to be a starter at LW or LB
Don't need him to be. Just needs to contribute more than Sess & Reggy combined, which ain't that tough a feat.

English, young, decent experience in a big league, versatile, should cost no more than 20 mil...or even less if there's a deal to be done for PEH. Plenty to like basically.

Iling Jr just feels like a matter of time. He will be a project though. Nit ready to be a starter at LW or LB

My concern would be that the typical 'is he a FB or a winger'-types won't suit the inverted FB role..... Ditto the 'they can play LB or CB'-types.

Were better off considering them like auxiliary MFs; rather than WBs or versatile back 4 players.

My concern would be that the typical 'is he a FB or a winger'-types won't suit the inverted FB role..... Ditto the 'they can play LB or CB'-types.

Were better off considering them like auxiliary MFs; rather than WBs or versatile back 4 players.
I haven't seen enough of Illing jr....but I remember before this season how most of the fans claimed that neither Porro nor Udogie could play in Angelos' system because they only could play as wing-backs.
So I'll trust the Spurs scouts if they want Illing...

I haven't seen enough of Illing jr....but I remember before this season how most of the fans claimed that neither Porro nor Udogie could play in Angelos' system because they only could play as wing-backs.
So I'll trust the Spurs scouts if they want Illing...

1. I'm responding to FAN opinion and (ahem) 'scouting'; not that of our actual scouts.
2. Porro & Udogie weren't scouted with Ange in mind, so you're putting your trust in luck rather than judgement.

1. I'm responding to FAN opinion and (ahem) 'scouting'; not that of our actual scouts.
2. Porro & Udogie weren't scouted with Ange in mind, so you're putting your trust in luck rather than judgement.
It could also be that Paratici selected players who can play in various systems and not just one...
Porro, Romero, Udogie, Bentancur, Sarr and, to a lesser degree, BIssouma, Richarlison and Kulusevski, have all done fairly well under Angelos...

I wonder if Sarr has slightly stolen Biss’ chips and taken on the more expansive midfield role.

I do like Bissouma a great deal and absolutely want to make it work. He just seems ever so slightly static for a 6. It’s like he gets caught flat footed and slightly behind the game.

I really enjoyed his early season form where he was much more happy to play further up the pitch. Again, maybe Maddison and Sarr are eating into that role.

It could also be that Paratici selected players who can play in various systems and not just one...
Porro, Romero, Udogie, Bentancur, Sarr and, to a lesser degree, BIssouma, Richarlison and Kulusevski, have all done fairly well under Angelos...

Scouting for a very specfic version of a position (I.e. I-FB) is not the same as casting a broad net for young quality players.

I’ve mentioned this before but I really do think Eze is done and dusted.

We’re very methodical and deliberate with certain transfers (like Maddison). They end up being open secrets.
Really hope Eze happens.I think he’s a brilliant little player,rather him than Gallagher.

Back
Top Bottom