Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This guy gets it.

We got to a CL final spending less than £150m on a whole squad of players.
Harry Kane and Harry winks cost £0.
Dele and Eric Dier £10m between them.
Lloris £11m Eriksen £11m.
Sonny £22m.
We paid over £70m for Sanchez, jannsen and Aurier.

Where was the best value in those transfers? The big money ones??

It’s not what you spend. It’s the way that you spend it.
Pep Guardiola said that. I think.

And let’s not forget Ange won the treble in Scotland with a squad assembled for less than £10m and 5 cases of Irn Bru.
Probably.

That’s all well and good but like Liverpool and VVD or what Arse are trying with Declan Rice there are moments where the player you need to make the system go up a level might cost a bomb and it’s those moments that will show whether we are pretenders or serious. Pep also inherited a billion pound team and had to spend another billion to get it where he wanted it. Money isn’t everything, scouting is the big one but money can be a difference factor.

That’s all well and good but like Liverpool and VVD or what Arse are trying with Declan Rice there are moments where the player you need to make the system go up a level might cost a bomb and it’s those moments that will show whether we are pretenders or serious. Pep also inherited a billion pound team and had to spend another billion to get it where he wanted it. Money isn’t everything, scouting is the big one but money can be a difference factor.

I believe he was taking the piss. But you are right.

This summer shows if winning is really what the club are about.

Didn't realise sitting firmly in mid table gets you those prizes, we've been doing it wrong all this time, need to underachieve more clearly.

They cleary didn't alwasy sign crap players for massively over inflated prices though. They paid the odds for top players and won things as well.

Surely you aren't slow enough to suggest anyone thinks we should be paying chelsea prices for second tier players like they have been recently?

Edit: Here is a question for you,

would you prefer to stay where we are ranging in 4th and always hoping to win but having a principle for spending frugally?

Or invest an obscene amount and win things?

They cleary didn't alwasy sign crap players for massively over inflated prices though. They paid the odds for top players and won things as well.

Surely you aren't slow enough to suggest anyone thinks we should be paying chelsea prices for second tier players like they have been recently?

Still can't get over how they paid 100m a piece for Enzo, Caicedo and Mudryk, like paying 300m for Hojbjerg, Lo Celso and Nkoudou. Makes you wonder what scouting/thought process went into those signings on 8 years deals as well.

I'm obviously talking about the Boehly era hence why I said numbers aren't important, personnel is.

Because it's likely that if Levy spent anywhere near what they've spent in the last two seasons then everyone would be all over his nuts and thinking that we suddenly have ambiiton which misses the point.

If we went out and bought Enzo and Caicedo for over £200m in the Summer for example absolutely no way anyone would be calling them '2nd tier' what nonsense lol same for Mudryk for £90m or whatever it was because it would assume that we are making a statement.

Fans shouldn't be focused on how much we spend, it's such a silly argument - the focus should be on the personnel first, at this stage no-one knows what the hell £200m to £250m gets us so I don't see how anyone can conclude how much we should be spending or make any definitive statements right now.

I'm obviously talking about the Boehly era hence why I said numbers aren't important, personnel is.

Because it's likely that if Levy spent anywhere near what they've spent in the last two seasons then everyone would be all over his nuts and thinking that we suddenly have ambiiton which misses the point.

If we went out and bought Enzo and Caicedo for over £200m in the Summer for example absolutely no way anyone would be calling them '2nd tier' what nonsense lol same for Mudryk for £90m or whatever it was because it would assume that we are making a statement.

Fans shouldn't be focused on how much we spend, it's such a silly argument - the focus should be on the personnel first, at this stage no-one knows what the hell £200m to £250m gets us so I don't see how anyone can conclude how much we should be spending or make any definitive statements right now.

Sure but if you look at wages, it's pretty much established that there is a correlation between wages compared to the rest of the league you are in and winning.

Transfer fees are slightly different I agree.

What we have is a manager with a plan and a way to play. If the best player for that system costs 100m and aks for wages that compete with the other top teams in the Prem, every Spurs fan should be expecting Levy to provide the football department with those resources because that's what you need to win.

Sure but if you look at wages, it's pretty much established that there is a correlation between wages compared to the rest of the league you are in and winning.

Transfer fees are slightly different I agree.

What we have is a manager with a plan and a way to play. If the best player for that system costs 100m and aks for wages that compete with the other top teams in the Prem, every Spurs fan should be expecting Levy to provide the football department with those resources because that's what you need to win.

That's very unlikely seeing as Ange himself said that he doesn't expect the club to spend that much and he said that he wouldn't want to spend that on one single player (he'd rather spend that on two) so I think we need to set our expectations a little there.

I do think though that we are due a statement signing, just don't think it comes this window.

That's very unlikely seeing as Ange himself said that he doesn't expect the club to spend that much and he said that he wouldn't want to spend that on one single player (he'd rather spend that on two) so I think we need to set our expectations a little there.

I do think though that we are due a statement signing, just don't think it comes this window.

Wouldn't read too much into those statements from Ange.

He is going off what the noises are behind the scenes say is possible.

If the club let him know that Vini Jr is on the table this summer is he going to say "nah, get me x2 Conor Gallaghers instead mate"?

We were due a statement signing under Poch... never happened.
Then Conte was asking for 70m+ players, never happened.

Need to be real here, the statement signing isn't what this club does. The idea is to finish as high as possible on the lowest possible outlay to get there.

Wouldn't read too much into those statements from Ange.

He is going off what the noises are behind the scenes say is possible.

If the club let him know that Vini Jr is on the table this summer is he going to say "nah, get me x2 Conor Gallaghers instead mate"?

Need to be real here, the statement signing isn't what this club does. The idea is to finish as high as possible on the lowest possible outlay to get there.

I would totally read into it, it's very likely that he understand's the club's positions and it alogns with his, obviously that doesn't mean he wouldn't turn down a player if he thought they could level us up but at this very moment the team is being built, the cherry signing isn't going to come just yet.

Statement signing under Poch was Ndombele, the problem was that it came too late.

Fuck Conte, he didn't know what the fuck he wanted.

I would totally read into it, it's very likely that he understand's the club's positions and it alogns with his, obviously that doesn't mean he wouldn't turn down a player if he thought they could level us up but at this very moment the team is being built, the cherry signing isn't going to come just yet.

Statement signing under Poch was Ndombele, the problem was that it came too late.

It wasn't the timing that was the issue - it was allowing Poch much of a role in choosing players to sign. Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon in one window got us about the poorest performing players we have ever seem.

And that followed a club record signing on Sanchez who Poch liked ..... and he was one of the better signings not called N'mistake

Perhaps in your head...... But not whilst we were building the stadium; no chance. We were told as much...... Modest signings; but even then we still spent 40m on a CB amongst other things which WAS a lot of money.

Then when we the stadium was complete Poch got Ndombele, GLC & Sessengon just like he wanted.

Conte's a knob.... And had a lot of money spent in the short time he was here.

Perhaps in your head...... But not whilst we were building the stadium; no chance. We were told as much...... Modest signings; but even then we still spent 40m on a CB amongst other things which WAS a lot of money.

Then when we the stadium was complete Poch got Ndombele, GLC & Sessengon just like he wanted.

Conte's a knob.... And had a lot of money spent in the short time he was here.

We were due one in the winter window when we had a chance to win.

Any other explanation is excuses. There will always be something else that needs to be prioritized first.

It was a massive issue, remember Poch wanted Mane, Wijnaldum and Zaha but we just weren't ready to drop the money for them, the Ndombele was in part a huge fuck up by himself and Hitchen but that type we could have done with that type of signing 2/3 years prior, we just didn't have the money.

We were due one in the winter window when we had a chance to win.

Any other explanation is excuses. There will always be something else that needs to be prioritized first.

Excuse? No... Just reason's you don't want to hear.

Regardless; you said Poch didn't get a so-called statement signing.... However; I already named him for you...... He just happened to be a lazy bum.

The club's position is not being serious about really challenging the big clubs if it means stepping out of it's financial comfort zone.

Top 4/5 is the serious goal, anything above that is marketing. Until they step outside their comfort zone that is.

It was a massive issue, remember Poch wanted Mane, Wijnaldum and Zaha but we just weren't ready to drop the money for them, the Ndombele was in part a huge fuck up by himself and Hitchen but that type we could have done with that type of signing 2/3 years prior, we just didn't have the money.

Ndombele was an attempt to close to stable door after the horse had bolted. Poch's first team was burnt and already ran it's course. The chance to take it up a level was much earlier but Poch and the club felt he got to that level ahead of schedule so couldn't do it.

The most likely thing is that the same will happen again but with different excuses. This Ange team looks ready now for that extra quality to push over the edge. It will always be next year for the club if they stay in their comfort zone.

Back
Top Bottom