Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Said it before and I'll say it again, we need:

- A backup goalie...but not a 35yo+ former England no 2/3 type​
- New RB and new LB, but not guys to just cover for Porro and Destiny...no...guys good enough to steal their spot, which doesn't look that hard a feat the form they've both been in for months (at least Pedro tries)​
- Similarly, a new CB who can really push VdV but especially Cuti...I have my doubts as to whether Radu is at that level (yet)​
- A monster 6 who can win the ball back AND pass it forward with pace & ingenuity. As far as I'm concerned, I'm done with Biss...say what you want about Skippy, he'd have shown so much more out there and not just today​
- A new CAM who is (far) more consistent and (much) less fragile - physically and mentally - than Madders​
- Two quality wingers ie guys who don't have Kulu's pace, who have more than one shitty trick in their toolbag, who aren't as frail as Werner and who can bang them in​
- A proper No 9 with a first touch and who ain't scared of going to work vs centre halves, who gets on the end of crosses even if that means putting his head where others wouldn't put their foot​
- All of them newbies must have a right pair of bollocks on them. Sick of them manchild crybaby sissies who shit themselves at the first hurdle​

You wanna win titles, Ange? That's what you need. We know it, you know it, your boss knows it. But we also know how it goes...soon you will too.

Difficult to argue with any of that. Spot on IMO. But impossible for this club to do in one summer.

Difficult to argue with any of that. Spot on IMO. But impossible for this club to do in one summer.
Yeah knowing how we operates we'll go and sign Werner on a permanent and Maguire on loan.

Bergvall will be included in the senior squad straight away, and returning loanees like Reguilon will be just like new signings.

We'll just get another of Don Fabio's hidden gems (who crumble after 10 games) to paper over the cracks.

The #WeTried classic.

Yeah knowing how we operates we'll go and sign Werner on a permanent and Maguire on loan.

Bergvall will be included in the senior squad straight away, and returning loanees like Reguilon will be just like new signings.

We'll just get another of Don Fabio's hidden gems (who crumble after 10 games) to paper over the cracks.

The #WeTried classic.

Last para is harsh but

I can’t remember seeing this fanbase more sick of the shit this club and the premier league does Year after year.

They really need to break the model this summer.

Every game that goes by i end up thinking we need more players. Starting to be difficult to see where we start but still a 6 and 2 forwards have to be the priority......but back up keeper, someone to challenge Porro, LCB who can ideally cover LB and a creative Maddison alternative need to be on the agenda as well. Its all a bit deja vu.

Last para is harsh but

I can’t remember seeing this fanbase more sick of the shit this club and the premier league does Year after year.

They really need to break the model this summer.
1 trophy in 23 years.

How many shameful cup exits?

How many managers sacked? Including one at HT and another days before a cup final.

How many millions wasted on shite thru lack of due diligence? Ndombele anyone...

How many months without signing a single player?

The Super League of shame.

Lies about our stadium being a game-changer...and the total mismanagement of its cost.

Our chairman giving himself bonus after bonus, whilst making it harder for proper fans to attend games & afford merch.

But Dan & his cronies don't care. And there'll always be an army of Shadies and that fake Spurs fan from Paris to fight their dirty war.

More than Sonny? Not a chance in hell.

It’s very different watching him on TV in a one off huge game in the CL to in person in a regular La liga game.

Even if it looked high tempo last night, he is never doing that every week in the prem.
He could still do a job mate. He’s in phenomenal shape and uses his brain rather than have to run about like a madman. His use of his body is as good as anyone out there at 35 at doing what he does.

To get out of the "grey zone" we can't just keep buying players that are on the same level as the one they are intended to replace. One genuine game changer would do more for us than 3 solid signings.

When the 6 was playing well (first 10 games of the season), we looked unstoppable because we would not lose the ball under pressure and we'd move forward quickly, releasing Maddison to play his killer passes. The moment that Bissouma lost form, we either have trouble against sides that press us because we lose the ball and look vulnerable (like yesterday), or teams that can't press us just sit back and we have difficulties unlocking defenses, especially without Richarlison's box presence.

I don't know how good Onana's ball-carrying stats are, but to me he looks more like a physical monster that is insanely good at tackling than a progressive carrier. From what I've seen of Ederson this season he's quite all-rounded, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none player. We definitely need a good 6 though, because this system without it just leaves the CBs too exposed, and as good as VDV and Romero have been this season, sometimes they have an off day and games like yesterday happen.

I also think we need a striker, and a quality one at that. Son, as lethal as he is in front of goal, just doesn't have the physical presence and the movement of a striker, especially against a low block. Richy is good, but he can be improved on. From what I've seen of Gimenez in European Competitions these past 2 years (so not a big sample of games) he looks like a player that when on-form is unstoppable, but when he's off it he's more of a nuissance than a help. My dream has always been Vlahovic (which is hard to admit because I'm albanian and he's a serb) but he's an upgraded version of Richarlison, with killer free-kicks as well. He's quite one-footed, but his movement and pace are pretty good for a big lad. Pair him with Maddison and Johnson and we have quite a good support for him.

The rebuild has been under way since last year, and last year proved to be a good window for us considering the fact that we lost Kane. I'd say the biggest part of the rebuild is done, so now there just needs to be a bit of tweaking to make the attack more effective. In my opinion defence looks good (we just need a good LB rotation option), midfield will be tweaked for sure (PEH will leave, and Bissouma might be on his way out as well, with Bergvall and a 6 coming), but the attack cannot stay like it is. We have too many wingers, so Solomon and Gil are goners for sure, leaving us with Werner (if we do decide to take him), Johnson, Son and Kulusevski and Richarlison up top. If we want to compete for the League, then we need to upgrade on Richarlison and possibly on Werner as well (although I really like him). Vlahovic and Nico Williams for Richarlison and Werner would make the attack much more balanced and threatening. The final piece of business would be Olise for GLC, but that's extremely unrealistic at the moment, and GLC is quite good when he plays (which isn't that often).

To summarise, this is the ideal business for me in the summer:

+ Onana/Ederson
- Bissouma
+ Bergvall
- Hojbjerg
+ Nico Williams
- Gil
- Solomon
+ Vlahovic
- Richarlison

Werner and GLC for me are quite hard to judge, because I value them and I think that they bring something to the side.

None of those 3 was bought as a superstar though. I guess they are hoping Bergwall turns into the next one to make the journey from talented youth to superstar.

No they weren’t.

That’s the model, buy them, build them, sell them, and repeat.

Great for business but a 23 year failure on the pitch.

At some point we have to stop building the best in class facilities and build the best in class on the pitch because the current model is taking us nowhere.

We normally have around 120m to spend before player sales.

I think the main priority has to be a LW, that needs to be around 50m alone. We need someone who can retain the ball in the final third as well as take players on 1v1. Games like yesterday happen because we don't have that profile.

After that we need rotation options for a busier schedule next season and to provide competition. A lot of our players seem to be tired just from playing once a week.

We need two more fullbacks on both sides, it's a very demanding role. That might explain why Porro and Udogie aren't performing at the same level as they were earlier. Thats probably about 40-50m combined. These two players won't be world beaters, but they don't need to be. Woolwich have Tomiyasu and Kiwior as their rotation options at fullback.

Then we'd need another defensive midfielder. That would cost around 30-40m. Anyone who can screen the backline, win headers, second balls and play simple passes under pressure at this level will do.

Offload players like PEH and Lo Celso and this should be doable.

We won't fill every single gap in the squad but this will improve us if we spend it well.

We normally have around 120m to spend before player sales.

I think the main priority has to be a LW, that needs to be around 50m alone. We need someone who can retain the ball in the final third as well as take players on 1v1. Games like yesterday happen because we don't have that profile.

After that we need rotation options for a busier schedule next season and to provide competition. A lot of our players seem to be tired just from playing once a week.

We need two more fullbacks on both sides, it's a very demanding role. That might explain why Porro and Udogie aren't performing at the same level as they were earlier. Thats probably about 40-50m combined. These two players won't be world beaters, but they don't need to be. Woolwich have Tomiyasu and Kiwior as their rotation options at fullback.

Then we'd need another defensive midfielder. That would cost around 30-40m. Anyone who can screen the backline, win headers, second balls and play simple passes under pressure at this level will do.

Offload players like PEH and Lo Celso and this should be doable.

We won't fill every single gap in the squad but this will improve us if we spend it well.
Have to get a 9

Tells you everything about the model of this club.

In that time, top class players sold:

Bale
Modric
Kane
Walker
Carrick
Berbatov

But the cost of following the club just goes up like a club that buys players like that

That's the model of every club bar Man City and the elites and even then they don't really buy that many stars these days, they normally turn into stars after a few years of coaching.

It's near impossible to replace World Class players with World Class players.

That's the model of every club bar Man City and the elites and even then they don't really buy that many stars these days, they normally turn into stars after a few years of coaching.

It's near impossible to replace World Class players with World Class players.

Liverpool haven't sold a player in their prime since Coutinho. Fucking gooners haven't since Henry.

The teams we want to compete with, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich, Barcodes... They all have a higher record spend on a player and all have a player on high wages than our highest earner. As a result, whenever it comes to the summer, they all shop from a shelf above us...

Does anyone really think we are signing a forward as good as Isak this summer?

Have to get a 9
I think we're fine with Son and Richarlison. I've always said play Son against the better teams who leave space and Richarlison against low blocks.

Richy isn't the best footballer but he's a very good box presence which is what you need against those types of teams. He's averaged a goal every 140 minutes this season which is good.

That's not easy to replace, especially in the current striker market. The strikers that are better than him are outside our price range. Anyone else would just be a like for like which is a waste of time,money and a unneccesary risk.

Back
Top Bottom