Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Liverpool haven't sold a player in their prime since Coutinho. Fucking gooners haven't since Henry.

The teams we want to compete with, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich, Barcodes... They all have a higher record spend on a player and all have a player on high wages than our highest earner. As a result, whenever it comes to the summer, they all shop from a shelf above us...

Does anyone really think we are signing a forward as good as Isak this summer?

Last time Woolwich bought established WC player was Ozil and Aubamayeng (maybe)

Liverpool bought in Thiago who was a crock.

Newcastle??

It's not really that common is it?

Liverpool haven't sold a player in their prime since Coutinho. Fucking gooners haven't since Henry.

The teams we want to compete with, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich, Barcodes... They all have a higher record spend on a player and all have a player on high wages than our highest earner. As a result, whenever it comes to the summer, they all shop from a shelf above us...

Does anyone really think we are signing a forward as good as Isak this summer?
No i don’t think we will but for me it’s the biggest position to fill. We need a presence up front who can do everything well. Not having the strikers that we have that are good at some things but terrible at other things. I’m looking at Toney,Vlahovic and Gyokeres as options. Gyokeres is really interesting because he’s coming off a ridiculous season of goalscoring and will be hungry to prove himself in the premier. Sesko is the other one I really like but i think he will definitely be out of our price range.

I think we're fine with Son and Richarlison. I've always said play Son against the better teams who leave space and Richarlison against low blocks.

Richy isn't the best footballer but he's a very good box presence which is what you need against those types of teams. He's averaged a goal every 140 minutes this season which is good.

That's not easy to replace, especially in the current striker market. The strikers that are better than him are outside our price range. Anyone else would just be a like for like which is a waste of time,money and a unneccesary risk.
No striker should be out of our price range after pocketing 100M for Kane * Those two are horrendous 9’s. Good goal returns but shit and inconsistent link players

* Cost ENIC nothing and earned them hundreds of millions in CL and PL returns

No i don’t think we will but for me it’s the biggest position to fill. We need a presence up front who can do everything well. Not having the strikers that we have that are good at some things but terrible at other things. I’m looking at Toney,Vlahovic and Gyokeres as options. Gyokeres is really interesting because he’s coming off a ridiculous season of goalscoring and will be hungry to prove himself in the premier. Sesko is the other one I really like but i think he will definitely be out of our price range.
I watched him live a few weeks ago. Scored a hatrick but it was his touch, strength and directness that stood out, all transferable to a higher level albeit goals will be harder to come by. Perfect foil for a player like Johnson

I'm told 6 of our players make Woolwich's team.
Vic does.

None of our defenders do, incl Micky (I'd have said the same pre yesterday's mare)...you don't concede 50 goals in 32 games and pretend to start for the best backline in the league.

Our CM? Lol.

Peak Sonny starts over Martinelli or Trossard, but current Sonny with his first touch made of lead? Nope, especially the form the Belgian is in.

No striker should be out of our price range after pocketing 100M for Kane
The Kane money was spent this summer. Replacing Kane like for like wouldn't have been a good idea anyway. It was better off being used on improving the rest of the team, which is what we did.

The striker market is shit. We already have Son who has scored every two games this season on average and Richarlison who's scored a goal every 140 minutes.

Money's better off being spend elsewhere.

Liverpool haven't sold a player in their prime since Coutinho.

PC left in 2018.

In that same time frame we sold Kane & Eriksen cos neither would sign a new deal (the latter has been pretty shit ever since.)

Fucking gooners haven't since Henry.

Absolute nonsense.

TH left in 2008; since then:

Adebayor, Toure, Nasri, Clichey, Sagna > Man C
Fabregas, Hleb, Song, Vermalen > Barca
Van Persie, Sanchez > Man U
Ox-Camberlain > Liverpool (Granted any wise man knew he was a perma-crock and it proved great business for the scum)

(Inevitably people are gonna debate 'peak' and exact caliber of player, but they're all moves they either couldn't prevent or were seen us upwards for the player.)

It's been widely acknowledged that their stadium project caused them to have to cash out time and time again on players (especially by their fans!!!) and saw a string of lesser replacements over the subsequent years....... That is why they hadn't mustered a proper title challenge for approx 18 years (since their last title).

The Kane money was spent this summer. Replacing Kane like for like wouldn't have been a good idea anyway. It was better off being used on improving the rest of the team, which is what we did.

The striker market is shit. We already have Son who has scored every two games this season on average and Richarlison who's scored a goal every 140 minutes.

Money's better off being spend elsewhere.
Completely disagree - we need to spend money elsewhere for sure but sticking with two 9’s that you cant build off is a massive issue. Poor touch under pressure, both of them. Gyokere pls

Last time Woolwich bought established WC player was Ozil and Aubamayeng (maybe)

Liverpool bought in Thiago who was a crock.

Newcastle??

It's not really that common is it?

Rice was an England starter at World Cup and Euros level.

Liverpool went and dropped 100m on Darwin an established Champions League and International star player.

Isak and Bruno were more like our level when signed in fairness but we’d have never spent the 70m plus addons to get Isak.

Established? Yes

Top quality? Based on what we’ve seen, sometimes.

On the level of Kane, Bale, Modric and the others we’ve sold? Sorry but no

Kane came through Spurs academy and loan system.

Bale signed as a 17 year old, Spurs developed him

Modric signed for Spurs after others such as Woolwich had rejected him as too lightweight. Started on left wing and took about 2 years for him to become regarded as a good CM, later a world class cm. But even in the season before he left half the fans thought he was gash as he didn't score or get many assists - only the passes that made assists and goals.

Players we have signed such as Vicario and others were signed before they became recognised as having potential to become top class (same with Van de Ven, Udogie, Porro, Sarr et al). Key word is potential ...... just like Kane, Bale and Modric.

PC left in 2018.

In that same time frame we sold Kane & Eriksen cos neither would sign a new deal (the latter has been pretty shit ever since.)

Absolute nonsense.

TH left in 2008; since then:

Adebayor, Toure, Nasri, Clichey, Sagna > Man C
Fabregas, Hleb, Song, Vermalen > Barca
Van Persie, Sanchez > Man U
Ox-Camberlain > Liverpool (Granted any wise man knew he was a perma-crock and it proved great business for the scum)

(Inevitably people are gonna debate 'peak' and exact caliber of player, but they're all moves they either couldn't prevent or were seen us upwards for the player.)

It's been widely acknowledged that their stadium project caused them to have to cash out time and time again on players (especially by their fans!!!) and saw a string of lesser replacements over the subsequent years....... That is why they hadn't mustered a proper title challenge for approx 18 years (since their last title).

Fabregas and Van Persie the only ones on that list and they were a good while ago.

They signed Rice since

I really don’t get why people are so keen to argue that we are really competing with these clubs with our current model. We really haven’t been

Kane came through Spurs academy and loan system.

Bale signed as a 17 year old, Spurs developed him

Modric signed for Spurs after others such as Woolwich had rejected him as too lightweight. Started on left wing and took about 2 years for him to become regarded as a good CM, later a world class cm. But even in the season before he left half the fans thought he was gash as he didn't score or get many assists - only the passes that made assists and goals.

Players we have signed such as Vicario and others were signed before they became recognised as having potential to become top class (same with Van de Ven, Udogie, Porro, Sarr et al). Key word is potential ...... just like Kane, Bale and Modric.

Not sure you are following my point

Fabregas and Van Persie the only ones on that list and they were a good while ago.

The only ones?

Nah........ I knew you'd do this and can't be fucked with the minutia involved in bickering with you.

Stick to facts rather than raging hyperbole... Especially when it comes to those cunts.

Rice was an England starter at World Cup and Euros level.

Liverpool went and dropped 100m on Darwin an established Champions League and International star player.

Isak and Bruno were more like our level when signed in fairness but we’d have never spent the 70m plus addons to get Isak.
Are those numbers right? I think Richarlison and Isak cost about the same.

Back
Top Bottom