Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rice was an England starter at World Cup and Euros level.

Liverpool went and dropped 100m on Darwin an established Champions League and International star player.

Isak and Bruno were more like our level when signed in fairness but we’d have never spent the 70m plus addons to get Isak.

Hmmm

If you're comparing these players to players we let go Kane/Bale/Modric/Walker but I'm sorry they don't compare

Also Isak cost Newcastle £58 + £5m in add ons, bit weird to be bringing up Newcastle tbh

Isak was €70m plus addons

Are we going to have that level of conviction?

It was a £63m deal, our deal for Ndombele was the same.

Not sure if it proves anything either way if we spend £10m anyway, said before the profile is more important than what we put down, speculating about money is pointless.

Completely disagree - we need to spend money elsewhere for sure but sticking with two 9’s that you cant build off is a massive issue. Poor touch under pressure, both of them. Gyokere pls
I just think the most important attribute for a striker does is what they do in the box. That is ultimately where a game is won and lost.

Like I said, Richy isn't the best footballer but he's good in the box and gets goals, and ultimately goals win you games.

We've invested in him and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere to get more goals out of him with other players who can retain possession rather than getting another striker. Which is why I think a top LW is the main priority.

To me, thats better than selling him and probably taking a hit on the fee just to spend a similar amount on another player just to get the exact same output, possibly even less.

I just think the most important attribute for a striker does is what they do in the box. That is ultimately where a game is won and lost.

Like I said, Richy isn't the best footballer but he's good in the box and gets goals, and ultimately goals win you games.

We've invested in him and I'd rather spend the money elsewhere to get more goals out of him with other players who can retain possession rather than getting another striker. Which is why I think a top LW is the main priority.

To me, thats better than selling him and probably taking a hit on the fee just to spend a similar amount on another player just to get the exact same output, possibly even less.
Well we won’t improve our position with guys like Richy as our striker. He’s not good enough to take us from where we are just now to challengers. Is that not what we want to become? We all say we want to be that but will accept players that can’t get us there🤷‍♂️

Who cares if we’ve invested in him,it’s not worked. He’s been horribly out of form albeit for personal reasons,turned it around to a certain extent and hardly kicked a ball for weeks due to not being selected and injured. We have to get better.

Well we won’t improve our position with guys like Richy as our striker. He’s not good enough to take us from where we are just now to challengers. Is that not what we want to become? We all say we want to be that but will accept players that can’t get us there🤷‍♂️

Ultimately (and hypothetically) you want every player to be upgraded eventually no matter how good they are, but not seeing a new ST as a priority doesn't mean someone doesn't want to see the squad leveled up this summer...... That's a pretty disingenuous path to take.

..........Thinking there's more immediate gain to be found in other positions (e.g. Wings & MF) is a perfectly reasonable position to debate from.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t be talking about a similar amount - Williams and Gyokeres in for 200M, Richy, Gil, and Werner out for c.40M

Ultimately (and hypothetically) you want every player to be upgraded eventually no matter how good they are, but not seeing a new ST as a priority doesn't mean someone doesn't want to see the squad leveled up this summer...... That's a pretty disingenuous path to take.

..........Thinking there's more immediate gain to be found in other positions (e.g. Wings & MF) is a perfectly reason position to debate from.
What I see is whoever plays centre forward for us is that centre backs have a comfortable afternoon playing against us. We need a striker that unsettles teams. We don’t have that. I would be happy with another midfielder, 2 wide players and a centre forward.
If we can offload our unwanted then competition for our full backs and left centre back.

I’m dreaming but if we don’t make our squad much better with Europe next year we will struggle to sustain being even where we are now.

Back
Top Bottom