Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Your point, now in denial, is you wanted to buy the likes of Kane, Modric and Bale in their prime as we sold them.

My point very simply was we had bought them as players with great potential and developed them ..... something we are doing again with the likes of Vicario et al.

That’s exactly what I said.

We sell top class players and sign players we hope can be top class

It’s a model that has seen us fail for 23 years now

That’s exactly what I said.

We sell top class players and sign players we hope can be top class

It’s a model that has seen us fail for 23 years now

Re - read your original post, without changing it to see what you have changed in the post above .

Nobody but the cheating few clubs like Mancity, and I'd include the broken Barcelona, can follow your wonderful strategy of money growing on trees.

What I see is whoever plays centre forward for us is that centre backs have a comfortable afternoon playing against us. We need a striker that unsettles teams. We don’t have that. I would be happy with another midfielder, 2 wide players and a centre forward.
If we can offload our unwanted then competition for our full backs and left centre back.

I’m dreaming but if we don’t make our squad much better with Europe next year we will struggle to sustain being even where we are now.

Literally just posted this in the Son thread, but:

We need to fix our wing and attacking MF play regardless of who's at CF.

Re - read your original post, without changing it to see what you have changed in the post above .

Nobody but the cheating few clubs like Mancity, and I'd include the broken Barcelona, can follow your wonderful strategy of money growing on trees.

Go and quote what you think was the original post in this debate. You’ve not once demonstrated that you read it

Does our model work ?

Should we maybe look at being more ambitious this summer and try to compete for the same level of player as the teams we claim we want to compete with.

Last edited:
Literally just posted this in the Son thread, but:

We need to fix our wing and attacking MF play regardless of who's at CF.
I totally agree. It all needs fixed. Eze looks the part the more I watch him. Silky footballer. Watching him he could be a Maddison type and play as the wide forward. Just a really good footballer.

I totally agree. It all needs fixed. Eze looks the part the more I watch him. Silky footballer. Watching him he could be a Maddison type and play as the wide forward. Just a really good footballer.

If we have Maddison and Eze in a team, we can put one on the LW and they can be interchangeable during the game. Gives us the technical ability to keep possession against teams like Newcastle yesterday.

Which takes us back to where we started....... Upgrade everywhere in the next window isn't really feasible.

Let's say you had 200m and could buy 3 players from the top shelf; would one of them be a CF?

Some here would rather (eg) 2 x wingers + 1 x AM
Some here would rather (eg) 1 x winger, 1 x DM, 1 x AM
etc.

.....And I can totally see that logic because with everything else ticking Son & Rich CAN score goals.

Who cares if we’ve invested in him,it’s not worked. He’s been horribly out of form albeit for personal reasons,turned it around to a certain extent and hardly kicked a ball for weeks due to not being selected and injured. We have to get better.
He's shown that with regular game time, he can get us 15-20 goals a season. That's a good investment to me.

I don't see the point in getting rid and spending more money on another striker when it isn't a guarantee that the output will increase and also when there are other priorities.

I'd rather get another player who can make up for his weak points. Get a left winger who can retain the ball in the final third instead.

Vic does.

None of our defenders do, incl Micky (I'd have said the same pre yesterday's mare)...you don't concede 50 goals in 32 games and pretend to start for the best backline in the league.

Our CM? Lol.

Peak Sonny starts over Martinelli or Trossard, but current Sonny with his first touch made of lead? Nope, especially the form the Belgian is in.
Son > Martinelli & Trossard, at both LW and CF.

Wouldn’t you?
Looking at what those players achieved at their new clubs one certainly can't blame them - not just winning trophies but also doubling/tripling+ their salaries.
But you can't blame Spurs for letting those player go as they had little choice.
When Man Utd, under Fergie, Man City under Pep and Real M. comes for a player they almost always get what they want

Looking at what those players achieved at their new clubs one certainly can't blame them - not just winning trophies but also doubling/tripling+ their salaries.
But you can't blame Spurs for letting those player go as they had little choice.
When Man Utd, under Fergie, Man City under Pep and Real M. comes for a player they almost always get what they want

If I’m being as balanced as possible we can understand the club selling those players en route to building the stadium but the summer just passed was not our first season in the new stadium and the policy was very clearly still alive.

The stadium is here now and we seem determined to stick to an underdog transfer policy whilst also charging big club money for tickets and merch.

Somethings got to give because we are in no man’s land

Which takes us back to where we started....... Upgrade everywhere in the next window isn't really feasible.

Let's say you had 200m and could buy 3 players from the top shelf; would one of them be a CF?

Some here would rather (eg) 2 x wingers + 1 x AM
Some here would rather (eg) 1 x winger, 1 x DM, 1 x AM
etc.

.....And I can totally see that logic because with everything else ticking Son & Rich CAN score goals.
Definitely a creative type like Eze,Toney and a wide player who has the ability to run in behind teams but can take it to feet and link the play. I think if we improve those areas we don’t continually lose the ball and get done on the counter. I’m being greedy so I want another DM

He's shown that with regular game time, he can get us 15-20 goals a season. That's a good investment to me.

I don't see the point in getting rid and spending more money on another striker when it isn't a guarantee that the output will increase and also when there are other priorities.

I'd rather get another player who can make up for his weak points. Get a left winger who can retain the ball in the final third instead.
He can score goals but having him as number one striker is standing still. He’s not good enough for us in my eyes. That’s my opinion but some think he’s verty good. I’ve yet to see that.

Back
Top Bottom