Sunderland v TOTTENHAM - 13th Sept 13:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit of perspective

Sunderlands best performance of the season
Our worst
Our top 2 scorers had a shit game
We were low on confidence
Without several key players (Eriksen, Bentaleb, Rose, Pritchard, Njie...)
Won when playing shit
Dier is growing every game
Didn't feel our defense was too troubled
Third best defense in the league

Quite a few positives. Once Kane hits form, it should be relatively smooth sailing.

Spursy my friend whenever we sort our defence our attack goes flat, when we sort our attack our defence crumbles. It's like we can never get both working together for some reason.

:pochsulk:

Accusing Sammy of wanting to be right about everything and arguing with everybody is so hypocritical generally; pretty much everybody would like to be right and/or thinks they are and, you can't have an argument with yourself.

Well you can, no you can't, yes you can, fuck off Simmo, no you fuck off Simmo.

I think you've missed the point and written something that's not really relevant to what I wrote.[/QUOTE]

Make a clearer point then. I think you wrote a paragraph about Sammy and what others could and should but won't do about him and so on. I merely made a general observation about half this board who spend their time arguing with him, it wasn't aimed at you.

However, I made my comments after you made yours and now we're engaging. I'm sure we'll move on as it's fairly trivial but if we exchange and debate for ages then it's not one of our faults, it's mutual. Same applies with Sammy and anybody else.

Marathon+Man+2.jpg

Supporting Spurs........it's either... ?

Bit of perspective

Sunderlands best performance of the season
Our worst
Our top 2 scorers had a shit game
We were low on confidence
Without several key players (Eriksen, Bentaleb, Rose, Pritchard, Njie...)
Won when playing shit
Dier is growing every game
Didn't feel our defense was too troubled
Third best defense in the league

Quite a few positives. Once Kane hits form, it should be relatively smooth sailing.
Agree except for the smooth sailing bit-never will be and has never been?

Not pretty but I'll take it.

Not an easy crowd for a young team to play in front of. Crowd definitely persuaded the ref on several occasions. Their defenders got away with a lot of clutching and grabbing.

Seemed like we couldn't establish an offensive rhythm. Every attack, minus the goal, felt disjointed.

First time i've really seen Kane really pressing. Tried to do waaayyyyy too much on his own. Relax Harry the goals will come.

Can't say enough positive things about Mason and Dier. Keep it going.

It's going to be fun watching Alli grow into a star. When it clicks for him, watch out.

Thought Son was decent. He found himself in good positions. He'll get better when he grows to understand the team better.

Walker was frustrating for me. He made that beautiful bombing run down the right side where he picked out Son on the a drag back. He should have scored. Why can't we see more of that Kyle?

Not being rude but I didn't get the gist of a lot of your post but on you're final point when any team plays well is that because the other team allows them too? Don't think it works like that personally.

Obviously how good a day at the office, said team is having with regards to how they're playing themselves playing, is a big factor as well. But if Sunderland play better against us than they have against other teams, it reflects on how well we're doing the correct things to make life hard for them. Would you claim that Sunderland will look equally good playing against Bayern Munich and Bristol Rovers?

The match commentator made (an admittedly rare) good point yesterday by saying that a lot of Sunderlands summer signings had not been regulars at the end of their careers with their previous clubs- hence concerns about match fitness at the start of the season. After 3-4 games they would therefore be hitting match fitness & "gelling". Defoe & Kaboul were always going to raise their game a notch or two against us. There is no easy game these days. We have no right to beat them just by turning up. It's that kind of attitude that has held us back in recent seasons. Thinking that getting 3 points against the likes of Wigan or Blackpool was a given. If the concentration & commitment levels had been as good then as they were yesterday, we may have won some of those games "ugly" & broke the top 4 more often. The ideal is great football & great results. But if folk had to choose one over the other????

Spursy my friend whenever we sort our defence our attack goes flat, when we sort our attack our defence crumbles. It's like we can never get both working together for some reason.

:pochsulk:
The offense will come around. We're creating chances well enough that eventually things will click. If you think of it as a process, then we're doing everything but the last step (a successful shot). But the shots are still be created, even if they're not successful. Our conversion rate is unnaturally low. That will return to the average, and as it does, the goals will increase and people will suddenly claim we've rescued ourselves. The quality was always there, but our luck hasn't been.

Genuine question - where do you think we'll be in 2 seasons time?
I think we could be in the top 4. I think the quality of the squad is good enough that as it matures, it will become a top 4-level team. We just will need to pay everyone enough to keep them around and make sure it happens.

The match commentator made (an admittedly rare) good point yesterday by saying that a lot of Sunderlands summer signings had not been regulars at the end of their careers with their previous clubs- hence concerns about match fitness at the start of the season. After 3-4 games they would therefore be hitting match fitness & "gelling". Defoe & Kaboul were always going to raise their game a notch or two against us. There is no easy game these days. We have no right to beat them just by turning up. It's that kind of attitude that has held us back in recent seasons. Thinking that getting 3 points against the likes of Wigan or Blackpool was a given. If the concentration & commitment levels had been as good then as they were yesterday, we may have won some of those games "ugly" & broke the top 4 more often. The ideal is great football & great results. But if folk had to choose one over the other????

RE: Fitness

Would explain how our superior fitness showed towards the end of the 90minutes, with the nice passing build up leading to Mason's goal. The Sunderland defence seemed to lose track of who was where for it, Mason was in loads of space.

Ok T bone exactly what are you disagreeing with???

:kaneear:

Quite a lot.

-!That our full backs and our general system were negatives.
- That Son was positive (I don't think he's shit or a flop, but it wasn't a good game by him - which is ok seeing as it was his first).
- That Poch will or should be gone by christmas.
- That Lamela should be our AMC. We all know he can do what he did - He's the best at it in our squad. But he needs to prove more consistency at that level of performance before being anywhere near our first 11.
- That we were as bad as you say.

Back
Top Bottom