Sunderland v TOTTENHAM - 13th Sept 13:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Genuine question - where do you think we'll be in 2 seasons time?

5-7th playing crap football with a handful of excellent games sprinkled in to keep Poch employed and certain fans happy and optimistic, while we "build for the future" and talk about making the CL by 2025.

A few windows will have passed, and I´ll be be angrily wondering why we havent replaced Lloris, Jan, Kane and Eriksen yet,

We will however be in a new stadium, so I will have people telling me we cant afford to replace those players and we are not City or Chelsea.

No trophies, no progress, and possibly looking for a manager.
GroundhogDay5.gif

Quite a lot.

-!That our full backs and our general system were negatives.
- That Son was positive (I don't think he's shit or a flop, but it wasn't a good game by him - which is ok seeing as it was his first).
- That Poch will or should be gone by christmas.
- That Lamela should be our AMC. We all know he can do what he did - He's the best at it in our squad. But he needs to prove more consistency at that level of performance before being anywhere near our first 11.
- That we were as bad as you say.

Fair play T bone!

I don't rate Walker because of his inconsistency in that he is quick, brave and willing but he is prone to too many basic errors and too often his positioning is woeful.
Shd be back up only in PL but play in Europa

This applies to Davies.

I put Son as a positive because I thought he did ok for his 1st game and showed promise and potential.

If Pooch isn't gone by Xmas we will finish in the bottom half.

Lamela should be our no 1 AM as only he can do what he did yesterday as no-one else has quick feet like him but I do agree he is inconsistent and can be infuriating which is why I said pre-season this year is his last chance but we have to give him that chance!

We were as bad as I said and most observers feel that way but you don't but I respect your opinion.

Getting 3 points yesterday was vital and there were some positives to be taken as mentioned but that shouldn't gloss over that performance against the worst PL side I've seen this season.

We were very lucky but the subs got us and Pooch out of jail!

:pocheyes:

If we give away a lead, or concede late, then I think we are in the shit. If on the other hand, we win 5-0, it is clearly just papering over the cracks.
If we don't score, it will mean relegation. Scoring just one means we are in for a long season. More than one player scoring vindicates 'one up front.' Only one player scoring means we are a one man team.
Conceding two means that we are shit.
Losing by more than two means that we should all kill ourselves.
Playing expansive, high tempo and attacking football means we are at the wrong game.
Think that covers it.

Told ya! :rolleyes:

5-7th playing crap f. dful of excellent games sprinkled in to keep Poch ic, while we "build for the future" and talk about making the CL by 2025.

A few windows will have passed, and I´ll be be angrily wondering why we havent replaced Lloris, Jan, Kane and Eriksen yet,

We will however be in a new stadium, so I will have people telling me we cant afford to replace those players and we are not City or Chelsea.

GroundhogDay5.gif
If we were to come good, be it with a rich owner or Pochs brilliance, you will need exorcism to rid the demons that frequent your mind . Thats If you wish to carry on supporting THFC.

5-7th playing crap football with a handful of excellent games sprinkled in to keep Poch employed and certain fans happy and optimistic, while we "build for the future" and talk about making the CL by 2025.

GroundhogDay5.gif

I really fear this transfer window could bite us on the arse sooner and worse than others have and show that this prediction is wholly possible, adding to the fact that it has been generally true for 3 years already!

I find it hard to believe that everybody doesn't know deep down that we have really asked for trouble this time but, most will still act like it was totally unforeseeable if it happens and that we've been really unlucky.

Yes it's early days but it's the later days with fixture pile up, fatigue and injuries that should be the bigger issue.

I watched the full game a few hours after it had finished having avoided the score all day.

Was a strange one really. I felt that there were some really excellent individual displays from a lot of the team. In particular Diee, mason, Townsend and vertonghen. I also thought Davies did well, Alli showed some good touches and lamela actually helped to impact a game for once.
Where I thought we were let down was the coherence in the final third. It was all a bit of a mess. Chadli was totally anonymous for large patches and Kane, albeit putting loads of effort, had one of his worst games in terms of real quality.

I thought that the game changed in our favour when Townsend came on and we gave them a more direct Threat to worry about.

My main observation is that I think watching a game without the running commentary of this forum or twitter actually gives you a much fresher perspective. I think that if I had been watching 'live' I would have been feeling a lot more down on the performance.

In reality it wasn't vintage, but we overcame a very physical test away from home at a hostile stadium against a side scrapping for a first win. We showed a moment of real quality when it seemed we'd already exhausted our efforts to impose ourselves on the game.

Sure we got lucky with the Defoe miss and the Rodwell chance. But I feel that a lot of the negativity on here after that win is slightly silly.
i think uv missed the point if u think people are being negative based solely on this 1 game.

I have him on ignore. But when the forum is dominated by people arguing with Sammy, sometimes if you want to know whats going on you have to quickly click show ignored content. Then vomit, and re-click ignore member.
I won't comment on your posts, as I honestly can't remember reading any. Except to say, did you just say that 'I'm paper and you're glue, whatever you say sticks to you?"
up to u what u do. but if sammy related stuff makes u vomit then ud be better off keeping him on ignore.
& avoiding the arguments others have with him.

Why isn't this guy sammyspurs banned already? If all he does is to keep being negative and he takes joy "told you so" after his 'favorite' team loses then you can't call yourself a fan.
another 1 who takes joy in spurs winning by moaning about sammy. great.

u guys really know how to celebrate!

when we win the league will u celebrate by sticking pins in to a sammy voodoo doll.

u guys really know how to celebrate!

You should try it some time mate. Celebrating a win is what most fans do. Instead of whining about how lucky it was, how bad we are. Blah blah blah. You sound like a Sunderland/any other fan in disguise. Can you actually say anything positive about the game or was your tongue so far up Sammy's arse that you couln't see the actual match? It wasn't pretty but we won. Some folk on here celebrate a win by fucking moaning about how we would have lost in style 4 yrs ago & repeating it until the next match-ad nauseum. The same people that saw Redknapp's all stars get arse raped at Blackpool playing some of the most inept stuff I have ever seen. We saw some great stuff only a few years back. But don't pretend it was all great stuff. It was the same inconsistent shite that has everyone moaning the same way these days. And moaning at getting 3 points away to a team who really do need the points?:pochfacepalm:

Last edited:
Immediately after the final whistle I said out loud that it was our worst game of the season yet our first 3 pointer -- it's a funny game sometimes.

Having waded through this thread for any additional insight I've come away with nothing. Just bickering about whether it's bad that it was a poor game or good that it was a win.

Could have saved myself some time.

If we were to come good, be it with a rich owner or Pochs brilliance, you will need exorcism to rid the demons that frequent your mind . Thats If you wish to carry on supporting THFC.

You support them in your way, and I´ll support them in my way.

I dont need to pretend things are good to support the club. I love this club with all my heart.

That doesnt apply to this team though.

As far as I can recall, we have a history of handing life lines to the relegation fodder. This time we didn't. Away against Sunderland is a match were we want to go to collective three points. We did.

It may not have been pretty, but there were plenty of positives.

Last season, when we got three points from low to mid table teams we often did it by scoring a late screamer after having been saved several times by world class Lloris.

In Bale's last season as a hero of ours we won a lot of shit games by a solo effort long shot by him.

Against Sunderland I can't really remember Lloris having to do his stuff. And our goal was a collective one, a pass and move goal, directed by a very positive Mason.

Yes, the first half was pretty bad. We didn't really crushed them in the second either. But for the most part we were in control, and we took over more and more as the clock moved towards 75 mins.

Good teams often manage to take over the games towards the end. Not doing so has been an issue for us, imo. Against Sunderland we did, and we could (/should) have scored another one or two.

The match stats confirms my impression. We dominated possession, we had more shots on goal, we had more shots off.

We played away. We dominated possession. We created more, had more shots on and off target. We won. Why are people complaining? Even saw one guy demanding that players should apologise. Ridiculous.

We look a lot more solid defensively then we have looked the last couple of seasons, except for the game against Stoke. This despite the fact that we've been playing our back up LB instead of our first choice (I assume, as Rose is twice the player Davies is). So far our attack have been a bit lackluster, but we've had two of our start of the season AMs injured, and Chadli and Kane seems off their best form.

Had Kane been playing like he has - which is not as good as last season - but still finished like he can, he would have 4+ goals by now. He's definately had the chances. And yes, he should be allowed to play until he finds his form. Last season earned him that right.

I dont need to pretend things are good to support the club. I love this club with all my heart.

What is it you love and support? You don't like the team, the management, the fans ... is it Chirpy that does it for you?

What is it you love and support? You don't like the team, the management, the fans ... is it Chirpy that does it for you?

I love the club, and a few people on TFC does not constitute "the fans".
There are many I like here besides..so..

I like certain players, but of an entire squad, I can say the only ones Id actually give a shit if they left is Kane, Rose and for some reason Walker.
I dont see Lloris being part of our future success, if ever it comes, so if he leaves in January, this summer, or the next is of little consequence.

I feel nothing for the majority of players. Hopefully it will change, but standing up and looking Scott Parker in the eyes and screaming "Fucking get in there!!" while he stares back like a mental case is yet to be replicated.
Singing for the likes of Ledders was genuinely emotional.
Watching Ginola being world class in a 14th place team, and even feeling a sense of bewilderment yet still admiring Mitchell Thomas for being crap.

Up until 3 seasons ago, I respected the regime and the vast majority of players.

When the likes of Modric and Berbatov did what they did, it was bad enough.
When large numbers of our fans backed them over the club, I was behind Levy. I forgave him for Stratford too.

But now, its become clear that he will never change, and in my opinion he has just hired another average manager who will be fired before he achieves anything.

There is nothing to get attached to anymore. We are in transition by way of policy.
The players are just coming through on a conveyor belt. The shit ones sold on....the good ones sold on too.

The average mundane ones stay. And thats reflected in our football. Average, boring and nothing to really get excited about.....yes Alli looks good, but if he is any good, he will be at Utd in a few seasons. So why care? Our future is not stable, because we operate the way we do.

So as I said, I love the club, but not the team, or the current regime. Something some of you should just accept. You ask me the same questions, and then moan about me saying the same things........get over it. We feel differently and thats that.

Last edited:

I am a little bit torn on this one. Its not the most exciting football I've watched in my lifetime, but its certainly not the worst. Something for me is that the majority of this team actually look like they care and give a shit on the pitch and for the faults we do have, they do seem to have a togetherness and never say die mentality. We always used to be labelled 'soft' and I don't think that is entirely true anymore. Probably something to do with the "home grown" section of the squad but then the likes of Dier, Toby etc. also seem to love playing for this club and give their all. Sometimes that won't be enough though.

Anyway. that is something I will support and even though we didn't perform well, nothing beats the elation of the travelling support when that goal went in Sunday. We were pretty shit and we won 1-0 away. Made the journey home a hell of a lot more enjoyable at least.

I love the club, and a few people on TFC does not constitute "the fans".
There are many I like here besides..so..

I like certain players, but of an entire squad, I can say the only ones Id actually give a shit if they left is Kane, Rose and for some reason Walker.
I dont see Lloris being part of our future success, if ever it comes, so if he leaves i January, the summer, the next is no little consequence.

I feel nothing for the majority of players. Hopefully it will change, but standing up and looking Scott Parker in the eyes and screaming "Fucking get in there!!" while he stares back like a mental case is yet to be replicated.
Singing for the likes of Ledders was genuinely emotional.
Watching Ginola being world class in a 14th place team, and even feeling a sense of bewilderment yet still admiring Mitchell Thomas for being crap.

Up until 3 seasons ago, I respected the regime and the vast majority of players.

When the likes of Modric and Berbatov did what they did, it was bad enough.
When large numbers of our fans backed them over the club, I was behind Levy. I forgave him for Stratford too.

But now, its become clear that he will never change, and in my opinion he has just hired another average manager who will be fired before he achieves anything.

There is nothing to get attached to anymore. We are in transition by way of policy.
The players are just coming through on a conveyor belt. The shit ones sold on....the good ones sold on too.

The average mundane ones stay. And thats reflected in our football. Average, boring and nothing to really get excited about.....yes Alli looks good, but if he is any good, he will be at Utd in a few seasons. So why care? Our future is not stable, because we operate the way we do.

So as I said, I love the club, but not the team, or the current regime. Something some of you should just accept. You ask me the same questions, and then moan about me saying the same things........get over it. We feel differently and thats that.

... at the moment we are constantly "in transition" and you don't like that, but somehow at the time you were in love with the team we were not.
... You connected with a guy like Scotty Parker (who I think did very well for us) who was a very good player, but one who never made it at the level you want us to reach. He failed at Chelsea, was great at Charlton, Spurs and West Ham. Mason will be at least as good as him, and is connected to Spurs in a way Parker never could be, but he is among the players you don't give a shit about.
... You connected with Mitchell Thomas, who would not get within a country mile of our squad today, who came to us because he followed Pleat who trusted him (for some reason nobody knows), but can't connect with a much better player like Aldeweirald who followed Poch for the same reason.

A lot of that makes absolutely no sense at all, but supporting a football club is an emotion, it doesn't have to be rational. All power to you, whatever rings your bell.

Back
Top Bottom