Sunderland v TOTTENHAM - 13th Sept 13:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

... You connected with a guy like Scotty Parker (who I think did very well for us) who was a very good player, but one who never made it at the level you want us to reach. He failed at Chelsea, was great at Charlton, Spurs and West Ham. Mason will be at least as good as him, and is connected to Spurs in a way Parker never could be, but he is among the players you don't give a shit about.

I like Parker, for more than "being good"....he was an integral part of an excellent team and had more heart than our whole squad

... at the moment we are constantly "in transition" and you don't like that, but somehow at the time you were in love with the team we were not.
Id rather just be crap than in a transition that never comes

... You connected with Mitchell Thomas, who would not get within a country mile of our squad today, who came to us because he followed Pleat who trusted him (for some reason nobody knows), but can't connect with a much better player like Aldeweirald who followed Poch for the same reason.

I dont bond with players just cos they put the shirt on. Tobys time will come, perhaps. Right now, I couldnt care less if he left

A lot of that makes absolutely no sense at all, but supporting a football club is an emotion, it doesn't have to be rational. All power to you, whatever rings your bell.

Exactly. So maybe move on

I am a little bit torn on this one. Its not the most exciting football I've watched in my lifetime, but its certainly not the worst. Something for me is that the majority of this team actually look like they care and give a shit on the pitch and for the faults we do have, they do seem to have a togetherness and never say die mentality. We always used to be labelled 'soft' and I don't think that is entirely true anymore. Probably something to do with the "home grown" section of the squad but then the likes of Dier, Toby etc. also seem to love playing for this club and give their all. Sometimes that won't be enough though.

Anyway. that is something I will support and even though we didn't perform well, nothing beats the elation of the travelling support when that goal went in Sunday. We were pretty shit and we won 1-0 away. Made the journey home a hell of a lot more enjoyable at least.

Yeah that I get mate....

I think we disagree on the state of our football tho.

You should try it some time mate. Celebrating a win is what most fans do. Instead of whining about how lucky it was, how bad we are. Blah blah blah. You sound like a Sunderland/any other fan in disguise. Can you actually say anything positive about the game or was your tongue so far up Sammy's arse that you couln't see the actual match? It wasn't pretty but we won. Some folk on here celebrate a win by fucking moaning about how we would have lost in style 4 yrs ago & repeating it until the next match-ad nauseum. The same people that saw Redknapp's all stars get arse raped at Blackpool playing some of the most inept stuff I have ever seen. We saw some great stuff only a few years back. But don't pretend it was all great stuff. It was the same inconsistent shite that has everyone moaning the same way these days. And moaning at getting 3 points away to a team who really do need the points?:pochfacepalm:

It was inconsistent but it wasn't shite. Last season we played very well about 4 times in my opinion; WBA a, Everton, Scum and Chelski h. Away at Newcastle was solid enough but they were complete dogshit at that time.

I think it's brilliant that we got 3 points, who could see it coming at 80mins?? Did you feel like we were going to get one at any time or, did you feel like it as another shit draw about to pan out?

It's great to be off the mark win-wise but, it's realistic to recognise how for the most part of 5 games we've not looked like scoring regularly and haven't exactly thrilled, the lack of depth in certain areas has been obvious already.

The youngsters are promising but that's what they are, promising. We're yet to even see one of the two attacking signings despite being very light in that area, still a ridiculous window overall in that sense. It is 15th September, we're 5 games in and the next is a famous post-Europa Sunday match against tough opposition whom we couldn't beat last year and have improved since.

We can be positive about positives but why does that mean being silent about the negatives? You need to be objective both ways, if the clubs and players aren't challenging themselves at this level of competitive sport then there's something wrong, no reason why we shouldn't too.

As far as I can recall, we have a history of handing life lines to the relegation fodder. This time we didn't. Away against Sunderland is a match were we want to go to collective three points. We did.

It may not have been pretty, but there were plenty of positives.

Last season, when we got three points from low to mid table teams we often did it by scoring a late screamer after having been saved several times by world class Lloris.

In Bale's last season as a hero of ours we won a lot of shit games by a solo effort long shot by him.

Against Sunderland I can't really remember Lloris having to do his stuff. And our goal was a collective one, a pass and move goal, directed by a very positive Mason.

Yes, the first half was pretty bad. We didn't really crushed them in the second either. But for the most part we were in control, and we took over more and more as the clock moved towards 75 mins.

Good teams often manage to take over the games towards the end. Not doing so has been an issue for us, imo. Against Sunderland we did, and we could (/should) have scored another one or two.

The match stats confirms my impression. We dominated possession, we had more shots on goal, we had more shots off.

We played away. We dominated possession. We created more, had more shots on and off target. We won. Why are people complaining? Even saw one guy demanding that players should apologise. Ridiculous.

We look a lot more solid defensively then we have looked the last couple of seasons, except for the game against Stoke. This despite the fact that we've been playing our back up LB instead of our first choice (I assume, as Rose is twice the player Davies is). So far our attack have been a bit lackluster, but we've had two of our start of the season AMs injured, and Chadli and Kane seems off their best form.

Had Kane been playing like he has - which is not as good as last season - but still finished like he can, he would have 4+ goals by now. He's definately had the chances. And yes, he should be allowed to play until he finds his form. Last season earned him that right.

Agree with most of that but the woodwork helped Loris twice!

Could have been a completely different game otherwise but I thought we deserved a bit of luck for a change!

Onwards and upwards hopefully, finish 3rd, win FA Cup and Pooch gets the Argentina job!

:pochbye:

It was inconsistent but it wasn't shite. Last season we played very well about 4 times in my opinion; WBA a, Everton, Scum and Chelski h. Away at Newcastle was solid enough but they were complete dogshit at that time.

I think it's brilliant that we got 3 points, who could see it coming at 80mins?? Did you feel like we were going to get one at any time or, did you feel like it as another shit draw about to pan out?

It's great to be off the mark win-wise but, it's realistic to recognise how for the most part of 5 games we've not looked like scoring regularly and haven't exactly thrilled, the lack of depth in certain areas has been obvious already.

The youngsters are promising but that's what they are, promising. We're yet to even see one of the two attacking signings despite being very light in that area, still a ridiculous window overall in that sense. It is 15th September, we're 5 games in and the next is a famous post-Europa Sunday match against tough opposition whom we couldn't beat last year and have improved since.

We can be positive about positives but why does that mean being silent about the negatives? You need to be objective both ways, if the clubs and players aren't challenging themselves at this level of competitive sport then there's something wrong, no reason why we shouldn't too.

You know it's all very well to celebrate victories regardless of how they were achieved but ultimately it's performance that counts. A defeat suffered when playing well is a better indicator for the future than a fortunate win with a dire performance. However it's understandable that sometimes we're all just so desperate for three points that any old win will do. Hopefully better displays will follow.

i could not enter on this forum in the time of the match with Sunderland,site issues...
watching the game ,i say we have a good squad,but the team doesn't play so great right now,luckily,Lamela managed to give a decisive pass (one million dollars assist) to Mason in the min 82,and Spurs won this match,Defoe ex spurs player played well for Sunderland ,hitting the post in the 27th minute,otherwise the match could turn in a nightmare in that moment...we won with luck

No one is saying performance doesn't matter. The reason it's ok to be happy about the result is that we've already put in good performances for the better part of 4 games--even with an incomplete squad. So if we finally put in a poor performance, away, but got the breaks and finally got a good result, I can be happy about that.

... You connected with a guy like Scotty Parker (who I think did very well for us).......... Mason will be at least as good as him.

AFVAz9y.gif

You should try it some time mate. Celebrating a win is what most fans do. Instead of whining about how lucky it was, how bad we are. Blah blah blah. You sound like a Sunderland/any other fan in disguise. Can you actually say anything positive about the game or was your tongue so far up Sammy's arse that you couln't see the actual match? It wasn't pretty but we won. Some folk on here celebrate a win by fucking moaning about how we would have lost in style 4 yrs ago & repeating it until the next match-ad nauseum. The same people that saw Redknapp's all stars get arse raped at Blackpool playing some of the most inept stuff I have ever seen. We saw some great stuff only a few years back. But don't pretend it was all great stuff. It was the same inconsistent shite that has everyone moaning the same way these days. And moaning at getting 3 points away to a team who really do need the points?:pochfacepalm:

mate, u missed the point. i dont celebrate on a forum.
of course i celebrated when we scored, then bit my nails until the final whistle & then celebrated again at the final whistle.
u may live out your life on this forum but i dont.
most of the things i do & how i react to things is done offline.
& the sammy stuff is a cheap shot which makes u look really desperate to be liked by the in crowd.
its beneath u.
but tell me to go suck sammys cock for some easy agrees & funnies. go u!

& uv also missed the point that i am not being negative about beating sunderland.
i am being negative about where we are & where we are going.

oh & i wasnt even on the forum during the game.
i just watched the game whilst not being on the forum.
u dont have to do everything on the forum.

& again, if u lot are hardcore amazing cool celebrators.
then why constantly whinge on a forum about other posters whinging.
just seems a strange way to celebrate.
if i did that, i wouldnt then preach about how to celebrate.
u seem to do posts like this this every now & again to be liked. sad

Last edited:
We look a lot more solid defensively then we have looked the last couple of seasons, except for the game against Stoke. This despite the fact that we've been playing our back up LB instead of our first choice (I assume, as Rose is twice the player Davies is). So far our attack have been a bit lackluster, but we've had two of our start of the season AMs injured, and Chadli and Kane seems off their best form.

Had Kane been playing like he has - which is not as good as last season - but still finished like he can, he would have 4+ goals by now. He's definately had the chances. And yes, he should be allowed to play until he finds his form. Last season earned him that right.
i wouldnt say rose is twice as good defensively as davies though. he is going foward.
id say davies is slightly better defensively.
i think davies isnt as bad as people make out.
he was pretty solid against sunderland.
we aint going to get a better back up for rose.

Last edited:
i wouldnt say rose is twice as good defensively as rose though. he is going foward.

Davies is no world beater but agree about him defensively, he has less pace so has to be a naturally more aware defender and it has been forgotten or missed that he plays better after having a few games for us. Rose has been mostly very good for the past few months but he cost plenty of goals up to Jan/Feb last season so has had to improve a lot in that respect and fair play. Davies is decent back up, certainly doesn't make us twice as bad when he plays at all.

i wouldnt say rose is twice as good defensively as rose though. he is going foward.

Agree wholeheartedly, I'm a big fan of Davies and I don't know about you lot but I think he's definitely been working on his attacking game since joining us. He seems to be making more runs in to the box and matching Rose's commitment to helping out attacks.

Agree wholeheartedly, I'm a big fan of Davies and I don't know about you lot but I think he's definitely been working on his attacking game since joining us. He seems to be making more runs in to the box and matching Rose's commitment to helping out attacks.
yeh i noticed that too.
if u watched him at swansea, he did make more attacking runs & was better going foward than he has been for us.

i think its probably a confidence thing.

hes young & joined a much bigger team.
been in but mainly out the team.
so probably doesnt want to be responsible for gifting a goal away.
so has played it more safe & stayed in position.
which u naturally do when less confident.

i reckon with some more games he will come out of his shell more & make more attacking runs.

as simmo said he was good last season when he had a run in the team.

look how rusty rose looked on thurs. its harder for a defender when u are rusty.

Back
Top Bottom