Super Spurs versus Carbon City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3rd with the same points.

We've essentially recorded the same results as last year, thus far. The only difference is the order they've happened in.
However, I would say that last season if we'd started with those 7 games, we'd currently have fewer pts than we have now.

We've gelled far quicker this season. 7 matches in, 2 performances already have been top notch. Citeh 2-0 and Stoke away 0-4.

Last season the first times we really fired was Goons away 1-1, and Wet Spam 4-1; matches 12 and 13.

And yes, we'd beaten City 4-1 by then, but that in the main demonstrated Citeh's fantastic ability to throw matches away. They should have been out of sight by the time we scored. We also lucked out with some offside goals that day, including the all-important first before HT.

" If we match all of our results from last season, we'd be lucky to get top four again in my view"
"Its where we are at the end of the season"?
What t f?.

Not necessarily. If we matched every single result from last season we'd end up with 70 points again. Which usually at best will get you 5th place. Sure, it's great being 2nd in the league now and better off POINTS wise then we were at this stage last season but that means fuck all too. It's where we are at the end of the season. Every team around us has strengthened or have looked better then they did last season.
So have we strengthened from last season and thats why we are doing better than this time last year.

Much better to view Average Points Per Game as all teams are different, with different managers, different squads, declining ageing squads to young squads being built, relegated & promoted teams, more money etc....

This is all that matters. PROGRESS!
Ct71pQOWgAAhdou.jpg

" If we match all of our results from last season, we'd be lucky to get top four again in my view"
"Its where we are at the end of the season"?
What t f?.

So have we strengthened from last season and thats why we are doing better than this time last year.

I don't want us to match all of last seasons results - that's simply not good enough. We NEED to improve which is why it's stupid saying we've improved on last season when we are 7 games in. We haven't improved nothing. If we finish higher in the table, that's an improvement.

Well spotted ! I also noticed that Sky did not replay any of those offside decisions even though several were clearly debatable. Mind you, the same applied in the second half as well.
Shortly after Aguero dived and toby cleared to Dele who played Son through, when Dele passed the ball Son was in his own half and couldn't be offside. Beck was in line with it on the halfway line.
He must have reacted to a comment from their bench.
He's a shit Linesman and should not be officiating at this level
photo uploading websites

I don't want us to match all of last seasons results - that's simply not good enough. We NEED to improve which is why it's stupid saying we've improved on last season when we are 7 games in. We haven't improved nothing. If we finish higher in the table, that's an improvement.

Have you watch us play (i know you have)-i can see a big improvement. The game against City, I have never seen us perform in such a professional controlled way-I was in utter shock that we were able to perform in such a manner. It reflects were we are and so I cant accept we are the same old Spurs, finishing 5th this season if all results are the same.
I have to agree with 'not wanting to match last season results' but I cant accept we are on par to last years results. Football doesn't work like that, Its when you play these teams that matter.

Ct71pQOWgAAhdou.jpg

from above post Guido ...is a far better way to look at it, we are averaging more points per game so compared to this time last season, we are doing better.

The press have all spun out the same line about the game "Spurs pressed with a high intensity early on that they could never sustain......a team of City's ability will therefore always have chances to come back into the game late on"

None have drawn comparisons between this game and both Everton and Liverpool trying the same tactic against us......only we actually did come back in both games

I've since watched the game again, and our pressing wasn't really as relentless as has been made out, there were definite periods when we took it a bit easier. Granted it was only minutes at a time, but it goes to show how disciplined we are as a unit now because as soon as the opportunity arose we were on them like a ton of bricks...

Back
Top Bottom