Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am a big Alan Gilzean fan, he was the consummate player for Spurs and he was the best header of the ball I have ever seen. Him and Greaves lethal!

My favourite ever duo up front for us

I was privileged to have watched them on numerous occasions

The ‘G’ men!

I saw an interview with Venables in "Spurs greatest ever team".

When he was a young lad Jimmy G used to pick him up on match days and take him to lunch. Venables, being young and trying to make a good impression, ordered boiled chicken and pasta. Jimmy ordered roast beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, the lot.

Jimmy went out and scored a hattrick.

do you mean the peanut man?
I'm not sure what the English equivalent is/was? Just remember when I was a kid going to games but if memory serves I think it was just certain teams aberdeen didn't have one but remember going to Ibrox and an old guy appeared shouting macarooooooons get your macaroooooooon bars exaggerating the Oooooooooons! Chewing gum as well? Might have been a weegie thing guy probably shouldn't have even been in the ground I'm obviously going back to open terracing but remember thinking at the time it was a strange choice to sell macaroon bars :thumbup:

A5-E8-B0-DF-27-A0-4893-847-B-F685477-AC694.jpg

These bad boys?

I'm not sure what the English equivalent is/was? Just remember when I was a kid going to games but if memory serves I think it was just certain teams aberdeen didn't have one but remember going to Ibrox and an old guy appeared shouting macarooooooons get your macaroooooooon bars exaggerating the Oooooooooons! Chewing gum as well? Might have been a weegie thing guy probably shouldn't have even been in the ground I'm obviously going back to open terracing but remember thinking at the time it was a strange choice to sell macaroon bars :thumbup:
I can't remember anything else being sold in the ground around that time. He used to shout out "peanuts", a bit like Eric Morecombe, and he used to sell them in a paper bag, and they were still in the shells, caused a right mess. Can't remember the price though, think he stopped once we went all seater.
When it comes to sweet treats, the Supporters' Club away trains used to sell Wagon Wheels, never saw them anywhere else :)

I can't remember anyth

I can't remember anything else being sold in the ground around that time. He used to shout out "peanuts", a bit like Eric Morecombe, and he used to sell them in a paper bag, and they were still in the shells, caused a right mess. Can't remember the price though, think he stopped once we went all seater.
Like I say it could have been a west of Scotland thing can't remember aberdeen having a guy do it! But at the time when rangers or Celtic came up to aberdeen the shop closed early in time for the football finishing at that time alcohol was freely taken in to games bottles of cheap wine or anything that could be alcoholic was consumed and especially by the west of Scotland teams though all the other teams would have been just as bad but Rangers and Celtic had a reputation for trouble as aberdeen had with casuals in their support.

When it comes to sweet treats, the Supporters' Club away trains used to sell Wagon Wheels, never saw them anywhere else :)

Back in the 60's the peanuts were a tanner a bag. My mate's brother in law used to let us have for 3d.
;)

The terraces were littered with the peanut casings and your mouth with a terrible thirst! I remember my uncle - a regular down 'The Den' telling me the peanut guy there used to shout out "Get your first division peanuts", millwall being in the old third division at the time.

I remember the peanut man in the shelf in the late 70s was the double of Ian Moores.

I was born in an FA cup winning season
2:1. Verses Chelsea ( Robinson:,Saul). but didn’t attend my first match until I was 13. Is it true the 1960’s really was in black and white? :kanehand:

Carrying on with the roasted peanuts;
When my dad used to take me in the early 70's - we would tend to stand right at the front of the shelf, so my view would be unimpeded. At half time when the people down below were walking along with their cups of tea, I would throw a peanut down and try to land it in their tea......and then quickly duck down. Got the occasional clump from my dad for that.

Back
Top Bottom