Swansea at Wembley - 16 Sep, 17:30KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love Poch but don't really understand the logic behind finishing that game with 5 defenders and a DM on the pitch.
The more worrying thing is that there are probably another 12 teams still to come to Wembley and play that way!
:pochfacepalm:

Another interesting note.

Apparently if we go back the last 5 years, we always drop points in the closest game after a European ficture

We struggle against teams that play this defence game.
We need to find a plan B.
Stating the obvious, but that's how i saw it
It's not rocket science.
We need to concede possession in games like this.....all this keep ball on the half way line is mind dumbing.

I knew it was over the minute our full backs and CBs started blazing 25 yarders into row z

If( i know for some that's a big if) Sissoko could play as we have seen him play for others,he could be the type of player to break down sides like this.
We need something, as we are going to have a hell of a lot of teams turn up and play the same way this season.

If( i know for some that's a big if) Sissoko could play as we have seen him play for others,he could be the type of player to break down sides like this.
We need something, as we are going to have a hell of a lot of teams turn up and play the same way this season.
It might be the optimist in me but I think GKN can become this type of player as well. He has the speed and technique to become a lockpicker if properly harnessed

I actually had high hopes for him when he first arrived.
He seemed to fall out of favour though
But, yes i agree with you on that.
He seems to be back in favour now. Poch talked about him during the pre Swansea presser. Said he had impressed a lot in training and the games during pre-season and that the foot injury came at a bad time. He also said he has landed and adapted to life in England and the club now and is more settled so if he jsut keeps up the good work in training he'll get chances. Should see him against Barnsley since he is back training with the team

We struggle against teams that play this defence game.
We need to find a plan B.
Stating the obvious, but that's how i saw it
It's not rocket science.
We played at least 3 different formations on Sat, so there is a plan A, B and C.

There were lots of our players making gestures to each other to calm down, not sure why, may be we thought the game would come to us the longer it went on. For the first time ever, we didn't water the pitch at half time, I see this as significant as we always complain when other teams slow the pitch up by leaving it dry. May be all this meant we had players that were tiered after Dortmund game?? (We played with 2 games rest from CL game, Utd got 3 days, Chavs got 4 days and Citeh got 3 days!!! Us and Liverpool got 2 days and our results might reflect this???).
Kane and Son both put in one hell of a shift in playing countless counter attacks on Wed, backed up by others supporting those attacks.

At the end of the day I think we lacked intelligence, I think we should have dropped deeper by 20m or so to draw them out, this doesn't require fitness (if we were tired) or moving the ball quicker (although we were crying out for this). We have the best defence in the league, we could easily deal with any Swansea threat, so dropping deeper creating more space would have may be created more space for us and a chance to get behind them. The other baffling thing was not using Llorente if we continued to lump balls into Kane and Dele who were marked out the game. We have bought a player who's strength is i the air, either scores with his head or he can win a header and knock it down to Kane and Dele.

Id leave it mate. Unless you cost £30,000,000, your exempt from criticism at this club.

Criticise Lloris' awful kicking. Disagrees and messages of you're wrong.

Kane has a poor game. Who cares? Scores 30 a season, can't criticise Kanes performance today.

*Alli plays poor and spends most of the match on his arse. Nah doesn't matter. Scored 2 goals in 5 games this season. No on else in our team could do such a thing.

Beyond boring now to be honest. No one in our team should be exempt from criticism.

Same thing when you criticise Poch. Loads of people saying "Do you remember how it was before he came...we've been very successful" etc etc. *Doesn't change the fact he was shit on Saturday, does it?
I must question this attitude to criticise?
If you want to criticisie players please go ahead, I just feel its wrong and counter productive.

You are both right that any player is not exempt from criticism.
Positives, everything thats been achieved so far regardless of poor performances.
Negatives, we need to be a little more ruthless.

Some players were poor on Saturday and could have done better. To single out individuals is wrong. There is a whole manner of factors that come into play that makes us tick. A underwhelming permanence from Alli (and some others) was there for everyone to see but to criticises him (them) directly is *lazy.

*Totti, you are the first to use stats to support your argument now you use it to ridicule opinion?

ITS A TEAM GAME-the team couldn't beat Swansea-well done Swansea. Ultimately its down to Poch, he picks the team, motives the players and sets the play. Saying all that, it was just one of them days. CL hangover with changes-in my opinion. This is an unprecedented season for us and we need to get a grip quickly which I feel we are doing. There will be frustration along the way but there will be glory, Im sure.

So please go ahead and question players performances if thats what you feel is right just accept other supporters passion to question your comments.

Seems as though we were out of ideas at about the 75 min mark.
And it annoys me that we spent the first half doing nothing, so ran out of time later.....
There were very few chances to actually catch them on the break but when that chance did come along we just stopped on the halfway line and let them re group.

Can't understand being so shit scared of losing possession that nobody wants to risk a through ball on the counter

The Trippier as LWB experiment backfired as well. Granted he can whip in a good cross with his right foot but when you cut back EVERY SINGLE TIME it's pretty easy to defend against. Even if he pushed it past Naughton once and won a corner at least it would be mixing it up a bit! Would rather see Son at LWB than Trippier there again!

The Trippier as LWB experiment backfired as well. Granted he can whip in a good cross with his right foot but when you cut back EVERY SINGLE TIME it's pretty easy to defend against. Even if he pushed it past Naughton once and won a corner at least it would be mixing it up a bit! Would rather see Son at LWB than Trippier there again!
I'd rather see Walker-Peters than Tripp's no matter what side of the pitch.

And it annoys me that we spent the first half doing nothing, so ran out of time later.....
There were very few chances to actually catch them on the break but when that chance did come along we just stopped on the halfway line and let them re group.

Can't understand being so shit scared of losing possession that nobody wants to risk a through ball on the counter

But if a shame the whole thing after such a perfect performance against Dortmund, I don't know if it's Poch/teams youth and inexperience, our lack of depth in attacking areas or what but we are mainly average after European games.

Title is pretty much over already, can't see both United and City going off the boil. Wembley and a poor start we would be better this season concentrating on cups. Pick up a cup and for me it's a good year even if we finish 5th.

But if a shame the whole thing after such a perfect performance against Dortmund, I don't know if it's Poch/teams youth and inexperience, our lack of depth in attacking areas or what but we are mainly average after European games.

Title is pretty much over already, can't see both United and City going off the boil. Wembley and a poor start we would be better this season concentrating on cups. Pick up a cup and for me it's a good year even if we finish 5th.
We always drop points after European games it seems. Going back as far as 5 years back. This week should not be as big a worry since we get one extra day of rest before we head to West Ham.

Winning the title this year was always going to be a longshot. Obviously it should always be our goal for every season. But personally I've always felt that this season was more about cementing us as a CL level team and to win a cup. Both of which are still easily doable (heck, the league is probably still doable as well but by a longshot).

Back
Top Bottom