TACTICS - Or the lack of them ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
When Luno became our manager, I thought we would be playing flying full backs and three solid CFs

So now we are basing everything on Ndombele creating all our chances backed up by our 2 bouncers in midfield. PLAN A

What is PLAN B ?

It's quite simple!

One of Ndombele, Hojbjerg or Skipp win possesion, play the ball out wide for Regulion to try and cross it in, we lose possesion and repeat.
Sprinkle in shooting inaccurately from distance and fouling in our final third to really get Lloris earning his weekly wage and that's Nunoball™.

Mate we've just gone and got a budget Mourinho it seems, exactly the same attacking 'tactics' as him. IE have 2 defensive midfielders to stop exposing the defence and then let the front 4 try and figure out between them how to break down a team. No guidance to the full backs on how to join attacks, no plan of passing and movement, no areas of particular focus, lots of hopeless long balls etc.

Complete lack of cohesion and plan yet again, to add on top of the shite 18months prior.

Play Son up top, drop kane

Surround him with pace

Case in point - our performance against Man City this season

We went undefeated in 7 games (including the preseason) without Kane. We had games against City, Wolves, Chelsea, Woolwich during that stretch.

Mate we've just gone and got a budget Mourinho it seems, exactly the same attacking 'tactics' as him. IE have 2 defensive midfielders to stop exposing the defence and then let the front 4 try and figure out between them how to break down a team. No guidance to the full backs on how to join attacks, no plan of passing and movement, no areas of particular focus, lots of hopeless long balls etc.

Complete lack of cohesion and plan yet again, to add on top of the shite 18months prior.
Yet Mourinho has a 69% win ratio at Roma and a GD of +13 even after his B team getting a horsing on Thursday.

Nuno currently has a 47% win ratio and a GD of +1. Lowest since Ramos (another brutal fucking recruit by ENIC)

Good decision made by ENIC...Dinosaur etc.

seems to be to play solid in defence and nick it without dominating the game. worked in quite a few games already this season and could have worked again today. kane had a massive chance with that header but it was straight at the keeper unfortunately. their goal also came after a massive fuck up by reguillon. i think his tactics will continue to get us points but what i most want to see is kane getting dropped and go back to son, moura and bergwijn in attack. they are speedy and dangerous in counter attack. kane offers nothing.

Play Son up top, drop kane

Surround him with pace

Case in point - our performance against Man City this season

We went undefeated in 7 games (including the preseason) without Kane. We had games against City, Wolves, Chelsea, Woolwich during that stretch.
That's fine against teams that attack us and give us space in behind, but the three speedsters approach rapidly falls apart when a team comes and sits deep.

Moura and Son are generally poor when there isn't space in behind to exploit.

That's fine against teams that attack us and give us space in behind, but the three speedsters approach rapidly falls apart when a team comes and sits deep.

Moura and Son are generally poor when there isn't space in behind to exploit.
That's a fair point but it's not like Harry's offering much anywhere on the pitch unless it's against ECL level competition or relegation level sides.

Manager has got to find some tactics but he's also got to set some standards and get them working hard.

That goes for everything: moving to make an option for your team mates, getting up in support into goal scoring areas (those shit long punts today to Reguilon were one thing, but even more fucking pointless when the rest of our attackers are stood watching 30 yards behind him running off into the distance), pressing from the front, being one compact unit and squeezing space, running back and match the opposition players desire to get there, competing in tackles/in the air, and so on.

Opening games we had this. Maybe it was early days exuberance who knows, it isn't there now.

You watch Chelsea or Liverpool or City this weekend and even at many goals up their players are working their nuts off doing the basics and not giving the opposition an inch. Any of them do slack off even momentarily and their managers are on the touchline dementedly screaming at them to wake up.

Standards. Something we don't have and haven't had since the middle of the Poch era.

When Luno became our manager, I thought we would be playing flying full backs and three solid CFs

So now we are basing everything on Ndombele creating all our chances backed up by our 2 bouncers in midfield. PLAN A

What is PLAN B ?
Working from Home, masks and vaccine passports 👍

Do you think that Luno has the vall to advise selling Kane and rebooting ?
Not his decision and never will be.

I wouldn't trust him with taking the club further after a massive sale regardless, he is out of his depth and the football has been shite...he has the personality of a cardboard cut-out to boot.

There is a witch hunt going about Kane, sad to see tbh. Another day he scores 2 today.

Not his decision and never will be.

I wouldn't trust him with taking the club further after a massive sale regardless, he is out of his depth and the football has been shite...he has the personality of a cardboard cut-out to boot.

There is a witch hunt going about Kane, sad to see tbh. Another day he scores 2 today.
Who do you think has the pedigree to sort this mess out ?

Who do you think has the pedigree to sort this mess out ?
No one, the problems are too deep rooted in the squad and behind the scenes IMO.

Unless they get players in and out and spend a LOT of money we're pretty fucked for a while, my personal preference for a new manager has always been the man in my avatar. At least he understands/knows the club and the fans and the style of play expected.

Mind you, I didn't think Jose was exactly given a fair crack of the whip...but so many had it in for him from Day 1, still suspect he was sacked for financial reasons and the ESL scheme had a large part to play in it, but I doubt we'll ever know.

Back
Top Bottom