TACTICS - Or the lack of them ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just want to put this on record. The two Portuguese managers we have employed (both enthrall to Vitor Fraude philosophies) have produced the two most poorly coached Spurs teams I can recall. I go back to the end of the 80's.

If anyone wants to venture why with me please do. This tactical peridisation is utter guff. We have simply vacated tempo and control of the midfield. We nominally are set up to mark zonally but lack the vocal leadership in key areas to make it work, as its hugely dependent on players keeping each other honest.

I have felt for some time the side is one paced in key areas. That little or no work is being done on patterns of play or transition from the midblock to getting at our oponnet. I also think bar Romero we need more aggression its why id put Tanganga back in. He offers nothing offensively but neither it appears does Emerson.

Lastly Nuno looks clueless but can his number two be this fucking thick. If so get in a 'wise man ' and stick him in the stand. Id back people on this site to have changed us to hurt West ham. We ain't spending money under this owner but the coaching is an utter joke and has been for two and a half years. Can whoever Nuno's number two is be as big a fraud as Sacramento?

Last edited:
Mate we've just gone and got a budget Mourinho it seems, exactly the same attacking 'tactics' as him. IE have 2 defensive midfielders to stop exposing the defence and then let the front 4 try and figure out between them how to break down a team. No guidance to the full backs on how to join attacks, no plan of passing and movement, no areas of particular focus, lots of hopeless long balls etc.

Complete lack of cohesion and plan yet again, to add on top of the shite 18months prior.

I don’t understand the bed wetting everyone does here after a bad result. Before the WH game the feel good factor was largely back here. People felt that Nuno was getting the team and structure right but we all acknowledge that we are only a couple of injuries to key players having to drop in talent on the pitch. This squad needs more depth, Vitesse showed that.

We out played WH and deserved at least a draw. WH played Mourinho-ball - a low block with minimal possession and relying on counterattacking and set pieces. They were lucky.

that is one game. It happens in football that you don’t always get what you deserve.

Nuno definitely needed to bring subs on earlier in the second half. We needed to change the tactics to prise open their defence. PEH and Moura should have gone about the 60th minute for GLC and Gil. I don’t understand the lack of subs against Vitesse and late subs against WH. This is where the tactics need to improve.

And we need better squad players.

I just want to put this on record. The two Portuguese managers we have employed (both enthrall to Vitor Fraude philosophies) have produced the two most poorly coached Spurs teams I can recall. I go back to the end of the 80's.

If anyone wants to venture why with me please do. This tactical peridisation is utter guff. We have simply vacated tempo and control of the midfield. We nominally are set up to mark zonally but lack the vocal leadership in key areas to make it work, as its hugely dependent on players keeping each other honest.

I have felt for some time the side is one paced in key areas. That little or no work is being done on patterns of play or transition from the midblock to getting at our oponnet. I also think bar Romero we need more aggression its why id put Tanganga back in. He offers nothing offensively but neither it appears does Emerson.

Lastly Nuno looks clueless but can his number two be this fucking thick. If so get in a 'wise man ' and stick him in the stand. Id back people on this site to have changed us to hurt West ham. We ain't spending money under this owner but the coaching is an utter joke and has been for two and a half years. Can whoever Nuno's number two is be as big a fraud as Sacramento?

3 Portuguese coaches if you included AVB although he was more possession based. It was still the same, when we have the ball there is little to no movement, as if each attacking player is still told to hold their defensive position.

Not only is it mind numbingly boring to watch it doesn’t really work anymore in a league that is full of modern attacking coaches who have systems set up to break you down. We got better football from our temps Tim Sherwood and Ryan Mason by letting our players off the lead than AVB, Jose and Nuno. It’s killed us and damaged the relationship between the club and fans. God only knows why Levy allowed it, complete moron.

What’s sad is I love Portugal, the people, the food, the country but fuck me I don’t ever want to see another Portuguese coach walk through the door.

I don’t understand the bed wetting everyone does here after a bad result. Before the WH game the feel good factor was largely back here. People felt that Nuno was getting the team and structure right but we all acknowledge that we are only a couple of injuries to key players having to drop in talent on the pitch. This squad needs more depth, Vitesse showed that.

We out played WH and deserved at least a draw. WH played Mourinho-ball - a low block with minimal possession and relying on counterattacking and set pieces. They were lucky.

that is one game. It happens in football that you don’t always get what you deserve.

Nuno definitely needed to bring subs on earlier in the second half. We needed to change the tactics to prise open their defence. PEH and Moura should have gone about the 60th minute for GLC and Gil. I don’t understand the lack of subs against Vitesse and late subs against WH. This is where the tactics need to improve.

And we need better squad players.
We just lost to Vitesse & let in two sloppy goals against Newcastle . I don’t think there was any feel good factor at all . We’ve been below par all season. Even at the start of the season we didn’t impress.

Play Son up top, drop kane

Surround him with pace

Case in point - our performance against Man City this season

We went undefeated in 7 games (including the preseason) without Kane. We had games against City, Wolves, Chelsea, Woolwich during that stretch.
That's fine against teams that attack us and give us space in behind, but the three speedsters approach rapidly falls apart when a team comes and sits deep.

Moura and Son are generally poor when there isn't space in behind to exploit.

Manager has got to find some tactics but he's also got to set some standards and get them working hard.

That goes for everything: moving to make an option for your team mates, getting up in support into goal scoring areas (those shit long punts today to Reguilon were one thing, but even more fucking pointless when the rest of our attackers are stood watching 30 yards behind him running off into the distance), pressing from the front, being one compact unit and squeezing space, running back and match the opposition players desire to get there, competing in tackles/in the air, and so on.

Opening games we had this. Maybe it was early days exuberance who knows, it isn't there now.

You watch Chelsea or Liverpool or City this weekend and even at many goals up their players are working their nuts off doing the basics and not giving the opposition an inch. Any of them do slack off even momentarily and their managers are on the touchline dementedly screaming at them to wake up.

Standards. Something we don't have and haven't had since the middle of the Poch era.

I've grown so tired even voicing an opinion to be honest. It's all just a mess this club and it started by not backing poch it really is that simple.

We were always a club desperate for a top class manager from the Redknapp times it was always the feeling we could do more if we just bought such and such.

Poch did it, he made us realise that we could compete if we just got things right and since Levy wouldn't back him and decided to go with Jose it has sent us back so rapidly we are genuinely worse right now than before Jol came in.

Jol got us pushing, Redknapp got us to the champions league. AVB wasn't even that bad the football was just so awful to watch. Our team under Sherwood would finish higher than this lot last couple years

Daniel Levy it starts and ends with him. Jose was wrong. Nuno wrong, AVB wrong.

Its blatantly obvious there's only a select few managers we would accept as fans right now and they all come with attacking intent, it's really that simple.

Won't post again now for a while as so fed up but I would want either Gallardo, Potter, Ten Haag or Poch. Nobody else is available to us and I thinl all 4 are quality managers. Anyone along the lines of Nuno again and I think I'll just give it up all together because it's actually depressing watching this shit and battle all the time.

We've been on a horrible come down ever since we turned up to the finals and lost a penalty in the first minute

Play Son up top, drop kane

Surround him with pace

Case in point - our performance against Man City this season

We went undefeated in 7 games (including the preseason) without Kane. We had games against City, Wolves, Chelsea, Woolwich during that stretch.

Do you think that Luno has the vall to advise selling Kane and rebooting ?
Not his decision and never will be.

I wouldn't trust him with taking the club further after a massive sale regardless, he is out of his depth and the football has been shite...he has the personality of a cardboard cut-out to boot.

There is a witch hunt going about Kane, sad to see tbh. Another day he scores 2 today.

My point is all the tactics won't matter as long as ENIC is at the helm

Jose and Poch couldn't figure it out so who's to say anyone else is
That may or my not be the case, but surely the point of his thread is to (for once!) put all of that aside, and just focus on what actually is happening on the pitch. If it helps, let's say you're right, let's say everything is the fault of ENIC / Levy and will never change while they are here etc - that aside, what is going wrong tactically on the pitch? If we had one of the best managers in the world instead of Nuno, what would they be doing different tactically? How differently would they be setting us up? Etc.

It would just make a great change to have a thread talk about such things instead of the same old topics that clog up 99% of threads with the same points being made on both sides by the same people over and over again.

It was clear in the West Ham game what the tactic was. We would keep the ball in our half; passing it between our defenders and midfield. We would invite West Ham to press, and when they did we would play a long ball out to the wings for our full backs to run onto.

This didn't work out since our CBs nor our midfield can play accurate long balls. All of them were over hit and way off target. Go watch a Liverpool game to see how it is done property.

Once West Ham got a goal, they no longer pressed and sat back. This gave us the opportunity to build our attacks and pass the ball. However, with all of their players behind the ball there was no room to pass it in the final 3rd. Kane's movement and appetite for the ball was non-existent; and with no space behind the back 4, Son's strengths were neutered.

The old footie tactic of 'lump it into the box and attack it' wasn't even attempted. Son, Ndombele present no aerial threat. Kane no longer attacks headers because of his ankles; which only left Moura (the shortest man on the pitch). Alli probably would have been a better option in the final 15 minutes; instructed to simply stay in the box and make a nuisance of himself.

Outside of a wonder strike from outside the box, I'm not clear what Nuno expected Bergjwin or Gil to do against 10 men behind the ball.

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
When Luno became our manager, I thought we would be playing flying full backs and three solid CFs

So now we are basing everything on Ndombele creating all our chances backed up by our 2 bouncers in midfield. PLAN A

What is PLAN B ?

It's quite simple!

One of Ndombele, Hojbjerg or Skipp win possesion, play the ball out wide for Regulion to try and cross it in, we lose possesion and repeat.
Sprinkle in shooting inaccurately from distance and fouling in our final third to really get Lloris earning his weekly wage and that's Nunoball™.

Back
Top Bottom