TACTICS - Or the lack of them ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have more heavy defeats coming yet, United this weekend, Chelsea away, Liverpool away, City away to name a few
Ah, by outlier heavy defeats I mean heavy defeats to mid-table sides. We won't use whatever mad setup was attempted vs Woolwich, nor hopefully the injury/red card/selection issues of the Palace game. Sure, we could lose by 2 or 3 to City or Liverpool.

But personally I think we'll be a decent enough, boring team for most of the season and won't be any worse than last season points-wise over 38 games.

Ah, by outlier heavy defeats I mean heavy defeats to mid-table sides. We won't use whatever mad setup was attempted vs Woolwich, nor hopefully the injury/red card/selection issues of the Palace game. Sure, we could lose by 2 or 3 to City or Liverpool.

But personally I think we'll be a decent enough, boring team for most of the season and won't be any worse than last season points-wise over 38 games.
FEEL THE GLORY

My point is all the tactics won't matter as long as ENIC is at the helm

Jose and Poch couldn't figure it out so who's to say anyone else is
That may or my not be the case, but surely the point of his thread is to (for once!) put all of that aside, and just focus on what actually is happening on the pitch. If it helps, let's say you're right, let's say everything is the fault of ENIC / Levy and will never change while they are here etc - that aside, what is going wrong tactically on the pitch? If we had one of the best managers in the world instead of Nuno, what would they be doing different tactically? How differently would they be setting us up? Etc.

It would just make a great change to have a thread talk about such things instead of the same old topics that clog up 99% of threads with the same points being made on both sides by the same people over and over again.

My point is all the tactics won't matter as long as ENIC is at the helm

Jose and Poch couldn't figure it out so who's to say anyone else is
This isn't true. Pochettino already proved it isn't true. Potter Gallardo Ten Hag would prove it isn't true. There are four five max well coached teams in the EPL . The rest are a collection of quality players tipped from a velvet bag.

The biggest crime bigger than Daniel Levy penny pinching is the fraudulent under use of the players our football club has at its disposal. We have the players right now to get Europa League football we have better resources than West ham. By all means hate Levy but DO NOT LET JOSE NUNO SACRAMENTO AND THE OTHERS OFF.

This isn't true. Pochettino already proved it isn't true. Potter Gallardo Ten Hag would prove it isn't true. There are four five max well coached teams in the EPL . The rest are a collection of quality players tipped from a velvet bag.

The biggest crime bigger than Daniel Levy penny pinching is the fraudulent under use of the players our football club has at its disposal. We have the players right now to get Europa League football we have better resources than West ham. By all means hate Levy but DO NOT LET JOSE NUNO SACRAMENTO AND THE OTHERS OFF.
Agree with all of what you said. But who was it that hired Nuno, Jose after sacking poch and not supporting him. It eventually all points back to levy....find a great manager that will squeeze every last pound out of the resources you provide and just stick with him!

Agree with all of what you said. But who was it that hired Nuno, Jose after sacking poch and not supporting him. It eventually all points back to levy....find a great manager that will squeeze every last pound out of the resources you provide and just stick with him!
Yup. Going from the CL final to midtable team is a shocking decline. Even Airfixx Airfixx will have a difficult time defending Levy

Exactly, there’s a reason we had to scrape the barrel for a manager.

They all know levy is a control freak and he’ll constantly hamstring the team.

The ones we’re left with are journeymen who want a payrise
Your fed up i get it so am I but I'm telling you your wrong. This isn't some unsolvable conundrum. Pochettino couldn’t do it because he was burned out go back and watch his pressers the last few months. He was shot an emotional man who was burned out. Mourinho couldn't do it because the man is finished look at how quickly the crash and burn phase is coming at Roma. He is shit and has been for years. So then we hire a poor imitation of a coach who's ideas are outdated. Genius from Levy.

Don't believe the sun we were not turned down by thousands of coaches(we did not offer Potter the job at all or Rodgers for that matter) we just fucked the search by dumping a DOF in to the mix mid recruitment.

Three shit coaches don't make the job impossible.
I'm telling you a good coach could get a tune out of what we have but we have not approached a progressive coach because Levy wants Pochettino to make more water into wine.

To the few posters who get what I was trying to do with this thread...I'm sorry I tried, but most seem to emotional or uninterested in having a conversation about how tactically poor we are.

Mate I acknowledged it was Levy's crime. But there are other things we can improve. There's endless threads about the halfwitted miserly bald shit dozens!

for me the probelm we have is how many of the second 11 could be coached into players good enough for first 11 ?
any manager here has a limited amount of players good enough for first team matches, they can't play every game so do you play second 11 in cup's/ECL ( they lose matches so don't get week in/out match time) will fans be happy to be out of cups early ? then the second 11 don't get any match time
for me (thinking off my head) only ones from second 11 able to be coached for first 11
Sanchaz he's not given up playing just poor
Dele but only if we get a midfield play maker and pu dele as second striker close to CF
maybe a few others but can't think at moment

My favorite flavour is aniseed or spearmint but you rarely see them . India has banana & cardamom flavoured

45% of the worlds tic tacs are made in Cork , Ireland

When Luno became our manager, I thought we would be playing flying full backs and three solid CFs

So now we are basing everything on Ndombele creating all our chances backed up by our 2 bouncers in midfield. PLAN A

What is PLAN B ?
PLAN B seems to be play long misdirected/overhit balls up for Reguilón to chase, resulting in lots of throw ins for the opposition.

Last edited:
It was clear in the West Ham game what the tactic was. We would keep the ball in our half; passing it between our defenders and midfield. We would invite West Ham to press, and when they did we would play a long ball out to the wings for our full backs to run onto.

This didn't work out since our CBs nor our midfield can play accurate long balls. All of them were over hit and way off target. Go watch a Liverpool game to see how it is done property.

Once West Ham got a goal, they no longer pressed and sat back. This gave us the opportunity to build our attacks and pass the ball. However, with all of their players behind the ball there was no room to pass it in the final 3rd. Kane's movement and appetite for the ball was non-existent; and with no space behind the back 4, Son's strengths were neutered.

The old footie tactic of 'lump it into the box and attack it' wasn't even attempted. Son, Ndombele present no aerial threat. Kane no longer attacks headers because of his ankles; which only left Moura (the shortest man on the pitch). Alli probably would have been a better option in the final 15 minutes; instructed to simply stay in the box and make a nuisance of himself.

Outside of a wonder strike from outside the box, I'm not clear what Nuno expected Bergjwin or Gil to do against 10 men behind the ball.

We have 2 main problems which compound each other as far as I can see

We play with basically no width whatsoever. I find this confusing as basically no successful team ever (maybe with the exception of the barca/Spain tiki taka sides) can play without width. Liverpool have the fullbacks and City love utilising the wide areas to get in behind in the inside channels.

For some reason, we just do not utilise the wide areas and try to play through the centre every time. Which brings us onto the second problem, our movement is shit. Players are playing well for their countries because they have options. When they get the ball for us they look up and see nothing. I dont know If they are not trying to move but something is severely wrong.

The fact we play with no width at all means teams can pack the middle, which makes it that much harder to pass and move through them. We make the pitch as small as possible for defending teams then don't have the requisite movement/technique to move through them

Apparently Conte doesn't want to move in mid season ?

Is this to get the right money or is he serious.

Wonder who Patrichi will pick this time ?

Is it time for Howe ?

We have tried a hard nose and now a softie. Whoever we look at, please will they have the balls to SORT THIS MESS OUT !

We need someone like SIMEONE or the guy that was at Shaktar.

Back
Top Bottom