Takehiro Tomiyasu

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looks like we are reverting back to taking punts on younger talent which seem to work for us before.

It has the only thing that has ever worked for us. These are the players we signed for at least £30m:

Soldado
Lamela
Sissoko
Davinson
Sessegnon
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Reguilon

Not a single one has been an unqualified success, most of them have been shite. All our better players in recent years were cheaper players with a lower profile. We have got to stop this mentality of "if I've never heard of him/he doesn't cost a bomb, he must be shite". I'd gladly swap our recent intake of expensive dregs for the cheaper, lesser-known players that Leicester have been signing.

Soyuncu, Barnes, Fofana, Soumare, all these players would get into our starting XI but half the people on here would have been angry that we were buying players they'd never heard of if we actually went for them. A good player is a good player, it doesn't matter whether they are a big name or not.

Last edited:
So as per usual Spurs haggling over a price and taking weeks to actually conclude a deal. Why don’t you just pay what they fucking want Spurs for once!!!! Then move onto other targets. Every single transfer window we get this

Except I've seen somewhere that Tomiyasu is likely to be selected for the Japanese team for the Tokyo Olympics, which end around August 8th.

So, once you factor in any Covid-19 isolation period travelling to the UK, he'd miss all of pre-season.

Since Tomiyasu will also be adapting to a new league, he probably won't be up to speed until mid to late autumn.

Perhaps but also consider the following. He adapted in Italy extremely quickly and went straight into the first team despite speaking no Italian (at the time). This is a guy with a very can do approach and a good attitude. In his own words when he joined Bologna:

"I chose this team because I wanted to learn individual defense tactics. First I wanted to be on the pitch."

Also he isn't your usual Asian (we are usually small framed in this part of the world - India, Asia etc). This guy is 1.88m. He is huge and he is fast and eager to learn. Over time he could become as important for us as Van Dijk is for Liverpool. This is a special player who was even offered to join FC Barcelona's academy when young.

We cannot let this one slip it will be a huge mistake. I am telling you, if we don't sign him now, we will talking about how good he is in 2-3 years and his 80m price tag.....

Levy and Enic have to finally show some ambition and proove to the fans that they actually give a damn about the future of this football club.

So as per usual Spurs haggling over a price and taking weeks to actually conclude a deal. Why don’t you just pay what they fucking want Spurs for once!!!! Then move onto other targets. Every single transfer window we get this

Hahaha, good old Spurs fans.

Day 1 -
"Never heard of Tomiyasu! Who the fuck is he?"

Day 2 -
"Oh, based on YT reels he seems bit risky option, not sure about him"

Day 3 -
"Well, seems we are not linked to everyone else better, so maybe we should then at least get this guy"

Day 4 -
"For fuck sake Levy, he is the most important target ever. I want him at my club at any cost. Why are you not willing to spend 200 mil on him. Just pay whatever they ask!!"

:mourhandlaugh:

Very good so far anyway. Japan are a good bit better than France, nippy technical players. Tomiyasu passing well, defending well, heading away set pieces. Yellow carded in first half for a trip and one wayward clearance under pressure are the only marks against him, I'll be happy if we sign him.
:pochcmon:

I have no idea whether Tomiyasu is worth the price quoted. But that's precisely why we need a great DoF and scouting team.

We didn't pay crazy prices for Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Sonny etc. We bought them a season or two before their superstar quality became evident to all of football.

I'm absolutely not suggesting Tomiyasu will ever reach that level, but I'll make the point in another way.

Jules Kounde looked a Rolls Royce of a CB when I saw him playing for Sevilla in the Europa League. They paid around 25 million Euros for him when he was 20. Sevilla are now looking for at least twice that much.

I hope we buy Kounde even if he costs £40-50m, because he will immediately be our best CB by a country mile.

But I also hope that Paratici & our scouting team have the talent-spotting & deal-making ability to sign the best young players for £20m rather than twice that or more.
No chance do we buy kounde our signings are likely to be 20m or under no way are we paying over 40m.

This is a solid young, hard working defensive player, with an amazing work ethic. Put some English influence into his game and he will be solid. This purchase should happen. Young, affordable and willing to work hard and fight his way into the team.

To counter the above, our best signings of the last 15 years read...

Christian Eriksen, Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld, Rafael Van Der Vaart, Luka Modric, Hugo Lloris and Mousa Dembele.

All 20m and under.

Cheap doesn't automatically mean mediocre.

Not watching it, but Japan are 2-0 up so he can't be doing anything too bad I guess.
Very good so far anyway. Japan are a good bit better than France, nippy technical players. Tomiyasu passing well, defending well, heading away set pieces. Yellow carded in first half for a trip and one wayward clearance under pressure are the only marks against him, I'll be happy if we sign him.

Is he really the quality we need? I do not know him but the transfer fee indicates not although Sanchez at 40m is crap.
I have no idea whether Tomiyasu is worth the price quoted. But that's precisely why we need a great DoF and scouting team.

We didn't pay crazy prices for Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Sonny etc. We bought them a season or two before their superstar quality became evident to all of football.

I'm absolutely not suggesting Tomiyasu will ever reach that level, but I'll make the point in another way.

Jules Kounde looked a Rolls Royce of a CB when I saw him playing for Sevilla in the Europa League. They paid around 25 million Euros for him when he was 20. Sevilla are now looking for at least twice that much.

I hope we buy Kounde even if he costs £40-50m, because he will immediately be our best CB by a country mile.

But I also hope that Paratici & our scouting team have the talent-spotting & deal-making ability to sign the best young players for £20m rather than twice that or more.

I often think whenever we are linked with players like this that is a cynical move by Levy to sell shirts in a particular country.

Don't know anything about the lad, maybe he is mustard.

But Levy has reduced me to always thinking its about the bottom line first and foremost.
Our best signing of the past 10 years started out like this. Don’t write off someone because they don’t come from one of the major footballing countries.

Blimey. Since when did Aurier become the worst footballer in the team let alone at right back.

EiWy-WEXgAEkyqs.jpg

Except I've seen somewhere that Tomiyasu is likely to be selected for the Japanese team for the Tokyo Olympics, which end around August 8th.

So, once you factor in any Covid-19 isolation period travelling to the UK, he'd miss all of pre-season.

Since Tomiyasu will also be adapting to a new league, he probably won't be up to speed until mid to late autumn.
Buzz 🐝 kill

Who said pay 200 mil you fucking sarcastic knob head? If we are targeting him and haggling over 2 bloody mil, what does that tell you ? Means once again, we are struggling to acquire our targets due to our pathetic stance in the market. If we want him, pay the fucking money!!! It ain’t that hard is it? Get the deals in early, so we can concentrate on strengthening this squad, simple as.
I think the main problem is that it happens with every deal, haggling over a few million makes sense if you have a set valuation of the player and it happens to be slightly less than the selling club. But with us it just seems to be a case of finding out what the selling club wants and offering a few million less just to haggle and allow Levy to feel like he's bagged a bargain.

It simply cannot be just a coincidence that this happens on ALL of our transfers. If for some bizarre reason Villa decided they were going to sell Grealish for £10m tomorrow, and we were somehow the only club interested, you just know we would offer £8m and spend 2 weeks haggling to agree on £9.8m.

Every bloody transfer with this club is like pulling teeth.

Back
Top Bottom