Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally, I just enjoy watching him with the ball at his feet.
Not many out there than can control it the way he does and be as unpredictable.

You also feel that the massive effort by Hoijberg and Sissoko allows him to be a little more risky and that's what we need. Try something outrageous when some one can mop up. Don't do it when you suddly have Dier as your last man to bail you out.

This is such a falsehood and shows that you really don’t understand the technical aspects of football, and are obsessed with perceived attitude/work rate. No offence.

Dele, like what appears to be happening to to Winks, is not good enough to survive the philosophy shift of the team. He was putting up generational numbers when the Poch system was at itbut his actual development to become a better all round player was stunted. His lack of certain attributes means he can’t play in this current system.

Neither N’Dombele nor Dele nor Winks have had a personality transplant in the last year, one way or another. They’ve moved up and down in Jose’s pecking order for technical reasons.

Jose wants to play a certain way, and he’s found the players in the squad who can play that way to a high standard, and weeded out the ones who can’t. Just like every manager ever.

If it was solely down to “attitude” then Érik Lamela would be our best player, but it’s not and he isn’t.
See this is where people like you fall flat.
You’re trying to equate football to intellect.

There’s not much to understand about the game, no matter how many graphs and bullshit words a pundit or internet nobody (no offense) tries to apply to the game.
5yr olds get it.

That’s why “philosophers” like Poch and AVB fail, and their worshippers call it higher level, elite football.

If Maradona didn’t try, he’d be shit.

It’s really as simple as that. I don’t know why you think that means average players only have to try in order to be the best though, because it’s a parallel you invented to try and sound clever.

But nobody said that did they.
So, nice and simple for you.

Good footballers who lack motivation, hard work and effort become rubbish footballers.

Disagree all you want, but it’s you who doesn’t understand what is a very, very simple sport then.

Last edited:
Hang on, he was being black and white by putting Dele and N’Dombele’s contrasting fortunes down to “attitude”.

I’m personally sick of the obsession with “attitude” when analysing players. The two most important aspects are their attributes and can these attributes mesh well with their teammates attributes within the preferred style of play/system of the coach. When the players feel comfortable with that, they start believing and vice versa.

When you break down Dele’s strengths and weaknesses as a player, it’s become clear why he’s expendable.

Just because he put up huge numbers 2-4 years ago doesn’t mean it can’t happen - Mourinho did similar to Juan Mata at Chelsea (then again his attitude wasn’t an issue apparently).

Fair enough. I'm just saying that it's very easy to conclude all of Dele's wrongdoings now that nothing seems to work for him. Whether it'll happen for us or somewhere else I don't know, but I think he has more to offer.

Will be exciting to see where it goes from here.

So YidZecke YidZecke you think good footballers don’t need to make an effort to be good footballers?

Sure they need to put in the effort.

I just dont think football is all about effort and a 5 year old can grasp in depth all that is needed to work as a team.

The world class coaches are top football philosophers and know how to mentaly prepare teams.

You mentioned AVB. I would mention Magath who was mostly about athleticism and effort. Tier B coaches. who can have success on their day.

Sure they need to put in the effort.

I just dont think football is all about effort and a 5 year old can grasp in depth all that is needed to work as a team.
Who said it was all about effort?
Who said a five year old could grasp in depth all that is needed to work as a team?

You disagreed with a post yet none of that was in the post.

Who said it was all about effort?
Who said a five year old could grasp in depth all that is needed to work as a team?

You disagreed with a post yet none of that was in the post.
There’s not much to understand about the game, no matter how many graphs and bullshit words a pundit or internet nobody (no offense) tries to apply to the game.
5yr olds get it.

That’s why “philosophers” like Poch and AVB fail, and their worshippers call it higher level, elite football.

I’m personally sick of the obsession with “attitude” when analysing players. The two most important aspects are their attributes and can these attributes mesh well with their teammates attributes within the preferred style of play/system of the coach. When the players feel comfortable with that, they start believing and vice versa.
Hahah.....say your sick of people using attitude as an analysis then go in to say that the players have to feel comfortable and start believing.

Like the attitude of the player can’t affect those things?
Christ.

I guess you probably thought Eriksen was always shit too.
Or wait.....could it be his attitude towards the club changed and affected his football?

As I said, very simple stuff but you’re tripping over yourself to make it sound higher level.

Last edited:
See this is where people like you fall flat.
You’re trying to equate football to intellect.

5yr olds get it.

If Maradona didn’t try, he’d be shit.

It’s really as simple as that. I don’t know why you think that means average players only have to try in order to be the best though, because it’s a parallel you invented to try and sound clever.

But nobody said that did they.
So, nice and simple for you.

Good footballers who lack motivation, hard work and effort become rubbish footballers.

Disagree all you want, but it’s you who doesn’t understand what is a very, very simple sport then.
Errr no. And I didn’t mention stats once. I don’t hang my hats on XG and the likes.

Eye Test >>>>>

Theres literally thousands of good footballers in this country, if you lack this so called desire you get found out a LONG TIME before your 8th year as a professional.

For me, “Effort and motivation” is a big standard expectation. The bar is in hell with that.

Cases like David Bentley are rare yet they are made out to be commonplace.

You can’t say for sure whether Dele is motivated or not like any other player.

However you can watch him and the rest of the players play and conclude that in this 4-3-3:

Kane and Vinicius are better CF‘s

Son and Bale are better inside forwards

Moura and Bergwijn are better wingers

Lamela is a better more versatile auxiliary forward

Lo Celso and N’Dombele are better creative midfielders

Sissoko is a more athletic tactically disciplined CM.

So where exactly does Dele fit in?! Or is he just too lazy?

Also it’s laughable to suggest Mourinho doesn’t develop a philosophy to suit what he has... We’ve literally seen him settle on a team and a style this season FFS.

“corra forte e rápido no campo!”

LOL

5yr olds get it.

Yeah, and where did I say five years understand in depth knowledge and everything it takes to work as a team?

I said said they get football. Life’s maturity lessons come later.

And where did I say that football was all about effort?

Errr no. And I didn’t mention stats once. I don’t hang my hats on XG and the likes.

Eye Test >>>>>

Theres literally thousands of good footballers in this country, if you lack this so called desire you get found out a LONG TIME before your 8th year as a professional.

For me, “Effort and motivation” is a big standard expectation. The bar is in hell with that.

Cases like David Bentley are rare yet they are made out to be commonplace.

You can’t say for sure whether Dele is motivated or not like any other player.

However you can watch him and the rest of the players play and conclude that in this 4-3-3:

Kane and Vinicius are better CF‘s

Son and Bale are better inside forwards

Moura and Bergwijn are better wingers

Lamela is a better more versatile auxiliary forward

Lo Celso and N’Dombele are better creative midfielders

Sissoko is a more athletic tactically disciplined CM.

So where exactly does Dele fit in?! Or is he just too lazy?

Also it’s laughable to suggest Mourinho doesn’t develop a philosophy to suit what he has... We’ve literally seen him settle on a team and a style this season FFS.

“corra forte e rápido no campo!”

LOL
By philosopher I mean managers who bring an encyclopedia to the training ground.

Jose plays a simple game. That’s why he wins stuff.
Score more than them.

That’s why armchair managers and twitter think that City deserved to win the 80% possession Trophy.
Means fuck all though tippy tappy tippy tappy......

Simple yes or no. You honestly believe that a good footballer doesn’t need to have the right attitude to succeed in the game?
Hilarious.

Hahah.....say your sick of people attitude as an analysis then go in to say that the players have to feel comfortable and start believing.

Like the attitude of the player can’t affect those things?
Christ.

I guess you probably thought Eriksen was always shit too.
Or wait.....could it be his attitude towards the club changed and affected his football?

As I said, very simple stuff but you’re tripping over yourself to make it sound higher level.
There’s a difference between the attitude of an individual and the general belief of the group. As long as the group is largely pulling in the same direction it can handle the different personalities within it.

Nothing contradictory about it. I’ve brought up the Concept of cycles to you before, normally a team gets 3-4 years before you need to change things up. That’s what Alex Ferguson did constantly, he even got rid of your beloved Roy Keane for the betterment of the group.

The Poch group stayed together too long and things got stale in year 6 and naturally players fall out of love or want to try something different. That is the business.

You honestly believe that a good footballer doesn’t need to have the right attitude to succeed in the game?
Hilarious.
“Effort and motivation is a bog standard expectation of mine. The bar is in hell with that”

Try reading better.

You’re arguing against the version of me that you’ve made up in your mind and not what I’m actually saying.

There’s a difference between the attitude of an individual and the general belief of the group. As long as the group is largely pulling in the same direction it can handle the different personalities within it.
And here, you’ve started to discuss something irrelevant in a bid to keep your above the water.

Why are you talking about a group?

You have disagreed a good footballer needs to have the right attitude then gone on to say they need comfort and belief, while trying to claim they have nothing to do with attitude.

Nothing contradictory about it. I’ve brought up the Concept of cycles to you before, normally a team gets 3-4 years before you need to change things up. That’s what Alex Ferguson did constantly, he even got rid of your beloved Roy Keane for the betterment of the group.

The Poch group stayed together too long and things got stale in year 6 and naturally players fall out of love or want to try something different. That is the business.
None of this has a single thing to do with, for example, Beckham needing to have a professional attitude in order to achieve what he did.

“Effort and motivation is a bog standard expectation of mine. The bar is in hell with that”

Try reading better.

You’re arguing against the version of me that you’ve made up in your mind and not what I’m actually saying.
What your saying is nonsense though because you don’t believe that effort and motivation is affected by the attitude of the individual.

Totally absurd view.

How can you put in effort with the wrong attitude to hard work ffs

He’s just like Donald Trump.

Just can’t hack that he was wrong or he lost an argument, and feels no shame in trying to create new BS to spin his way out.
I’ll ask you again because you all seem to be running away from it.

If he played like last season again this year, would you keep him for another year?
And the season after that? Keep?

Back
Top Bottom