Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eh, personally don't think Harry is world class and other teams don't seem to think so either. 75 + add ons is hardly a bid you make for a world class striker in their prime.

Ndombele might not be world class but he's still the single most influential player on the team outside of Son right now. Take Ndombele off and we're going to struggle pretty badly against any respectable side.
I suppose multiple premier league golden boots, world cup top scorer, our top european scorer.
Ndombele 5 mins here and there

I suppose multiple premier league golden boots, world cup top scorer, our top european scorer.
Ndombele 5 mins here and there
Take a look at Son's goal contribution stats for us when he's playing as a CF. It's just as good if not better than Kane's on a per minute/app basis. You take Kane out, and Son can easily replace Kane's goal scoring and numbers actually show that he has over the past several years. And Son's not even a real striker.

I think what some fans fail to miss is that goal scoring is largely a function of the playmakers around the player so it's easy to overrate a striker when most of the credit should be going to Eriksen, Dembele types. Yet when people look back, this fanbase will be like, "OhOhhH, HarRy's BeEn CaRrYiNg tHe TeAm By HiMSelF FoR YeArsS!!"

If there's worshipping of a player that needs to be stopped - it's Kane.

Last edited:
Take a look at Son's goal contribution stats for us when he's playing as a CF. It's just as good if not better than Kane's on a per minute/app basis. You take Kane out, and Son can easily replace Kane's goal scoring and numbers actually show that he has over the past several years. And Son's not even a real striker.

I think what some fans fail to miss is that goal scoring is largely a function of the playmakers around the player so it's easy to overrate a striker when most of the credit should be going to Eriksen, Dembele types. Yet when Kane scores, this fanbase will be like, "OhOhhH, HarRy's BeEn CaRrYiNg tHe TeAm By HiMSelF FoR YeArsS!!"

This is objectively untrue. Statistically, strikers maintain a similar scoring record regardless of the team. Lewandowski still has a very good scoring record for Poland because his movement is elite, as his is technique inside the box. Similar story with the likes of Ibra, Ronaldo, Salah etc. These are rare assets. Clubs who spend millions on data analyis + scouting will happily throw record fees and wages at forwards who score goals. They are gold dust.

There are hordes of wingers and playmaker types out there who are a great support cast but are incapable of scoring goals on the regular. It's a bloody hard skill to get yourself in the right positions, make space and time for shots, and have the composure/quality capable of scoring 30 or even 40 a season. Acting like goalscorers are just overhyped tap in merchants is folly.

These are rare assets. Clubs who spend millions on data analyis + scouting will happily throw record fees and wages at forwards who score goals.
Where is the record fee for Kane? Last time I checked, team's were willing to spend significantly more money on Grealish and Lukaku than Kane.

I'd be interested to see what kind of offers we get in the next couple of transfer windows. Maybe even less than the 75 million + add ons City offered this past summer.

This is objectively untrue. Statistically, strikers maintain a similar scoring record regardless of the team. Lewandowski still has a very good scoring record for Poland because his movement is elite, as his is technique inside the box. Similar story with the likes of Ibra, Ronaldo, Salah etc. These are rare assets. Clubs who spend millions on data analyis + scouting will happily throw record fees and wages at forwards who score goals. They are gold dust.

There are hordes of wingers and playmaker types out there who are a great support cast but are incapable of scoring goals on the regular. It's a bloody hard skill to get yourself in the right positions, make space and time for shots, and have the composure/quality capable of scoring 30 or even 40 a season. Acting like goalscorers are just overhyped tap in merchants is folly.
Thanks for your intelligent, truthful posts.

I think what some fans fail to miss is that goal scoring is largely a function of the playmakers around the player so it's easy to overrate a striker when most of the credit should be going to Eriksen, Dembele types. Yet when people look back, this fanbase will be like, "OhOhhH, HarRy's BeEn CaRrYiNg tHe TeAm By HiMSelF FoR YeArsS!!"

If there's worshipping of a player that needs to be stopped - it's Kane.
Hahaha kane has been banging 20 plus goals a year for 6 year now. Son for all his talent is fairly streaky.
Lets get back to your hero. He has done notbing yet

How do you explain Son's performance as a striker for us when Kane is absent? His goal contribution record is just as good if not better than Kane's as a CF. And he's not even a real striker.

Where is the record fee for Kane? Last time I checked, team's were willing to spend significantly more money on Grealish and Lukaku than Kane.

I'd be interested to see what kind of offers we get in the next couple of transfer windows. Maybe even less than the 75 million + add ons City offered this past summer.

That wasn't a post aimed particularly at Kane, just the 'creators should get more credit than strikers' idea. If you don't rate Kane particularly highly that's fine, it's a football forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Would be boring if it was an echo chamber.

Lukaku is a striker last I checked. And the truth is I don't know what City were truly prepared to pay, there was a lot of speculation but little in the way of facts being thrown about. My personal opinion is they would have gone higher but Levy's negotiation tactics threw them off. 75m was the only official bid but it would seem to have been a starting one. I don't think we will ever know for sure.

KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy Son is an elite forward, especially when it comes to goals. His finishing is extraordinarily good statistically, regularly exceeds his xG metrics. There was that purple patch last season where he was off the charts entirely, it was ridiculous.

Whether he's a 'real' CF or not is irrelevant, he's a primarily goalscoring forward. His only issue for me is his consistency (tends to be very patchy, but this isn't unusual for a player of his type) and that if he isn't scoring he can tend to not offer very much. But these are both criticisms that could be fairly aimed at Kane.

Ndombele was our best midfielder but fucked up for both goals.

Just use him further up and don't expect any defensive contribution. And keep him out of our box at corners.

I want him to start on Sunday. No better way to win fans òver than by giving Woolwich the run around.

KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy Son is an elite forward, especially when it comes to goals. His finishing is extraordinarily good statistically, regularly exceeds his xG metrics. There was that purple patch last season where he was off the charts entirely, it was ridiculous.

Whether he's a 'real' CF or not is irrelevant, he's a primarily goalscoring forward. His only issue for me is his consistency (tends to be very patchy, but this isn't unusual for a player of his type) and that if he isn't scoring he can tend to not offer very much. But these are both criticisms that could be fairly aimed at Kane.
Fair points.

Finally, we have someone that offers good, rationale counter arguments backed by statistics instead of the typical abusive posters that attacks anyone that throws any shade at Kane.

On Ndombele, I do think his second mistake in particular is getting too much stick. With his playstyle there are going to be times when he loses the ball (some of our other midfielders treat it like a game of hot potato and get rid as soon as they receive it) because he tries to turn his man, take risks etc.

Obviously it's not an ideal place for him to lose it. And he needs to work on that. But he's only just started getting back in the side so you'd expect a bit of rust to his game. I also think Romero could've dealt with it better, and the pass in to Ndombele in the first place wasn't great and left him under unnecessary pressure.

On Ndombele, I do think his second mistake in particular is getting too much stick. With his playstyle there are going to be times when he loses the ball (some of our other midfielders treat it like a game of hot potato and get rid as soon as they receive it) because he tries to turn his man, take risks etc.

Obviously it's not an ideal place for him to lose it. And he needs to work on that. But he's only just started getting back in the side so you'd expect a bit of rust to his game. I also think Romero could've dealt with it better, and the pass in to Ndombele in the first place wasn't great and left him under unnecessary pressure.

Agree. I put most of the blame on whoever passed NDombele the ball in the first place. Better not to attempt a pass like that, but if you do it bloody better be a good pass.

you’re right. It was a good pass.

Tanguy was fouled on that play.
Don't you love this binary shit right now Skipp can do no wrong N'dombele is the fat devil. About ten days ago people were saying skipp wasn't first team material. I can't keep up with the narrative.

All players make mistakes a bloke said Tanguy bottled the responsibility to attack when Skip gives him a frankly silly pass a simple forward pass from Skipp and we were at Wolves throat. If anything he shirkes the responsibility. And as someone then wisely added 80 million pounds worth of footballer contrive to give away the lead. I don't do fan clubs I support spurs and can see ALL of our players: hiding doing dopey shit and a couple phoning it in. Be they Tanguy N'dombele or Harry Kane.

Back
Top Bottom