Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With a more mobile DM alongside to cover the space behind him, Ndombele will truly shine for us. He's young and has made a huge step up in quality/pace of play in this league, and deserves patience from our supporters.

He is the most confusing player i have seen in years. Sometimes i see him and think he's absolutely top drawer, other times really really average. I have no idea what he will turn out to be in the longer term.
One thing for sure is though, he would never have passed Alex Furgusons 'running' test because he moves across the ground like a wounded animal. His running style is truly bizarre!!

for improved speed, they teach the kids to lean forward when they run. Maybe is very slow and he does that to improve his speed?

Of course I am not writing him off nor doubting his skills in the long term.

But I don't think he had particularly good game against Bournemouth. It starts to seem that he needs more time and space to be brilliant. That was true in Villa game, in the Red Star game and Soton game. But quite often when opposite team puts more pressure on, he is almost out of the game.

I get he is new-joiner but he joined 02.07. Now its 02.12. 5 months. And in terms of physical shape, he is nowhere near in form (btw, his "coming back from injury" is moot point - he ever missed like 1-2 weeks out of 5 months). Though the turmoil and general performance levels of the team have not served him well, there can't be doubts about that!

Good thing is that he has shown glimpses of his quality and we absolutely need him to play quite a number of games when our schedule is crazy in coming weeks and months. Would be nice to see him having few really good games in a row to get his confidence up as well!

Of course I am not writing him off nor doubting his skills in the long term.

But I don't think he had particularly good game against Bournemouth. It starts to seem that he needs more time and space to be brilliant. That was true in Villa game, in the Red Star game and Soton game. But quite often when opposite team puts more pressure on, he is almost out of the game.

I get he is new-joiner but he joined 02.07. Now its 02.12. 5 months. And in terms of physical shape, he is nowhere near in form (btw, his "coming back from injury" is moot point - he ever missed like 1-2 weeks out of 5 months). Though the turmoil and general performance levels of the team have not served him well, there can't be doubts about that!

Good thing is that he has shown glimpses of his quality and we absolutely need him to play quite a number of games when our schedule is crazy in coming weeks and months. Would be nice to see him having few really good games in a row to get his confidence up as well!
I’d give him a year to be honest.

Remember how long it took Son?

I’d give him a year to be honest.

Remember how long it took Son?

Thats a s**t argument... really-really weak one.
For every Son (took some time to get running) there are loads of Soldados, Janssens, Chiriceses, Holtbys, Stamboulies and so on and so on.

Ofc I am not saying at all that Tanguy will follow their footsteps - absolutely not.
But just pointing out that much more often players who cannot get up to speed within first year never will get up to speed.

Thats a s**t argument... really-really weak one.
For every Son (took some time to get running) there are loads of Soldados, Janssens, Chiriceses, Holtbys, Stamboulies and so on and so on.

Ofc I am not saying at all that Tanguy will follow their footsteps - absolutely not.
But just pointing out that much more often players who cannot get up to speed within first year never will get up to speed.
Well Poch always said it took players half a year to adapt.

I have time for Ndom to be frank, I see enough there to make me prepared to wait.

Tanguy has shown enough quality on the ball and through his reading of the game that I am giving him the benefit of the doubt on his fitness problems for now. Though, I do find it odd that he's a top level footballer who has played for France, and he's lacking so much in fitness.

Fitness and lack of defensive awareness are his glaring weaknesses, both can change under Mourinho. He would also benefit massively as we would as a team with a proper DM in there with him, I think that looks to be our absolute must solve problem.
I don't think Dier is ever going to fill that void long term unfortunately as much as I would like him to:-/

At some point we have to stop blaming Dier for everything. The club spent a lot of money for Tanguy and while he's shown glimpses of quality he hasn't even come close to justifying the hype. I'm sure the fitness issues can be fixed but what worried me more was the errant passes against Bournemouth. At times he was baited into trying passes that were obviously going to be intercepted, he has to be more clever on the pitch. If he loses the ball it's a problem cause he's not much help defending a counter

At some point we have to stop blaming Dier for everything. The club spent a lot of money for Tanguy and while he's shown glimpses of quality he hasn't even come close to justifying the hype. I'm sure the fitness issues can be fixed but what worried me more was the errant passes against Bournemouth. At times he was baited into trying passes that were obviously going to be intercepted, he has to be more clever on the pitch. If he loses the ball it's a problem cause he's not much help defending a counter

I don't think people would be blaming Dier for "everything".
I myself and some others have voiced the concern and problems regarding fitness and consistency of his performances.

But I guess you can agree as well - if we'd had an in-form and dynamic DM in our ranks who could help to control the midfield, it would make Tanguy life lot easier. Football is teamsport and performance of a player playing next to you will influence your game.

Tanguy reminds me of pogba in a sense..... just hear me out....they would really flourish in a 433 system than in a 2 man mid that way he has more resposibility going foward than defense put a dm and a winks or locelso beside him and watch him flourish.

Back
Top Bottom