Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Certainly seems that way at times.

In the same way good players go to Woolwich to coast on good wages.

Only interested in us, but you are spot on with how poor Ndombele has been. It’s been such a bad season, I question whether we’ll get more than 40 mil for him.

The crux here is that if Ndombele had even hit an average 7/10 we would have easily been in the top 4.

His first and maybe only season has been a huge disappointment.

The crux here is that if Ndombele had even hit an average 7/10 we would have easily been in the top 4.

His first and maybe only season has been a huge disappointment.

Yes, I think you may be right.

We bought him after he had one good season, but our biggest problem is that had we left him alone to potentially have another at Lyon, he would have more than likely been snapped up by a very top tier team.

Our status as a tier 2 team, means that we have to take gambles on players that aren’t as established as we might like. Headaches - like this one - are therefore a possibility. I certainly didn’t envisage it going this poorly, but when you look at his lack of fitness throughout all his performances, I think you’re right that you do have to question the scouts.

Would you elect to keep him or get rid?

If Mourinho can ultimately change that then it will be a successful tenure.

What we have certainly seen is that as far as Pochettino took us, he did not or was not able of creating an individual or collective winning mentality.

And invariably that comes from consistently high level performance and often that's derived from nurturing home grown or acquired potential.

I know it isn't easy but we seem very good at failing to do it.
But don’t forget there “is no such thing as a winning mentality..... just mentality“

So really our lads have the same mentality as our Double team

:avbshit:

Yes, I think you may be right.

We bought him after he had one good season, but our biggest problem is that had we left him alone to potentially have another at Lyon, he would have more than likely been snapped up by a very top tier team.

Our status as a tier 2 team, means that we have to take gambles on players that aren’t as established as we might like. Headaches - like this one - are therefore a possibility. I certainly didn’t envisage it going this poorly, but when you look at his lack of fitness throughout all his performances, I think you’re right that you do have to question the scouts.

Would you elect to keep him or get rid?

Sammyspurs calls this right. Not sure is my answer but Christmas is maybe that point to decide.

It is entirely possible to take a year to settle but in my experience mentality or certainly attitude is set.

All anyone would have asked for is commitment and pride in playing for us.

Fcuk me, what any of us would do for and with Ndombele's talent. Simplistic but true.

He certainly has talent and can do things with the ball that Sissoko can only dream about. The comparison to Taraabt is a good one and look how that ended up. He clearly finds doing the normal things like tracking back something that he is not used to. He is a luxury player when we cannot afford Luxury. He has to get his head around doing what the Boss tells him rather than what he thinks best. problem with doing something he is not used to is he could do it for 90 mins but then 1 lapse of concentration and we lose a goal. However there is only one way of finding out and that is to give him a run of games and not drop him the first time he slips up.

It’s perfectly fine to give a player time to reach their best level. But a player shouldn’t need time to give their best effort. That should be there day one.

Son and Lamela didn’t light up WHL at first but their appetite for the game was there from their first appearance. Ndombele has never had a performance in our shirt that has endeared him to the fans in that way, fans want to see their players working hard. They don’t want to see them walking around and pointing.

Can anyone, even Ndombele’s most optimistic followers, really tell me that he’s given his absolute best when he’s been on the pitch? If he has, then we are in big trouble.

It’s perfectly fine to give a player time to reach their best level. But a player shouldn’t need time to give their best effort. That should be there day one.

Son and Lamela didn’t light up WHL at first but their appetite for the game was there from their first appearance. Ndombele has never had a performance in our shirt that has endeared him to the fans in that way, fans want to see their players working hard. They don’t want to see them walking around and pointing.

Can anyone, even Ndombele’s most optimistic followers, really tell me that he’s given his absolute best when he’s been on the pitch? If he has, then we are in big trouble.

You just need to chill and give the man some time it dont make sense sell him right now so let's see what we can get out of him next season.

I would be more comforted by all these "Spurs want to keep him & make it work" stories if they were actually "Tanguy & Jose want to make it work" stories. :(

Sammyspurs calls this right. Not sure is my answer but Christmas is maybe that point to decide.

It is entirely possible to take a year to settle but in my experience mentality or certainly attitude is set.

All anyone would have asked for is commitment and pride in playing for us.

Fcuk me, what any of us would do for and with Ndombele's talent. Simplistic but true.
I absolutely agree with the point on mentality. Very difficult to click your fingers and become motivated.

I would like to see him have a run of games, and as you say, by Christmas, one would hope a decision could be made. He doesn’t fit the Mourinho bill, and if he thinks he can rebel, then he simply can’t play for this team.

Worst case is he moves on and becomes a superstar, but it would be hard to foresee that based on what we’ve witnessed this season.

I would be more comforted by all these "Spurs want to keep him & make it work" stories if they were actually "Tanguy & Jose want to make it work" stories. :(
In fairness, it looks like - both - Jose and Tanguy did work together during the lockdown. No manager wants their players to fail and I also suspect the wily Jose doesn’t want another ‘marquee’ signing not to succeed with him, like Pogba did. He’s already fed up of being asked why he’s not playing him, you can tell from the pressers.

It may be that with a deeper DM, Tanguy will have a place moving forward and not have so much defensive responsibility, but why would anyone start him there ahead of GLC or Coco, who do make the visible effort? N’Dombele has done fine up until Spurs not competing for his place - I hope he makes it in some capacity as he has looked good going forward ( not so much in a deeper position).

So many reports linking him away now. Find it ridiculous that we’re being linked with a 31 year old as part of a swap deal.

The only player we’re being linked to who I’d take is Škriniar (from Inter). Solid CB and would mean we could get rid of Foyth. But to suggest Levy is going to take a big hit on Ndombele when he has 5 years left in his contract is laughable.

He’s clearly very talented, but so have many been. I remember Alvaro Recoba, he had everything to be possibly the best player in the world at the time. But his attitude stank and he was never fully match fit, he rotted on Inters bench for a lot of his career.

I would personally like to see him stay and try to work hard next season, but would be open to a swap for someone willing to fight for the shirt, even if slightly less talented

The Recoba / Tanguy comparison is one I was thinking about recently.

I'm not sure if you've read this article but you could swap out Recoba's name for Tanguy's and almost everything would apply:

For the record, I hope he gets his head down and gets fit because there's a serious player in there.

I'm not sure if you've read this article but you could swap out Recoba's name for Tanguy's and almost everything would apply:

For the record, I hope he gets his head down and gets fit because there's a serious player in there.
He is full of tricks and skill but lacks any kind of desire.

Ndombele has been a total fucking disappointment and if anyone thinks he’s improved us when he played or is massively impressed because he passed it forward
must be mightily impressed by our scouts and chairman over this epic signing.

Personally, I want better.
Whether it’s better from him, or someone else I don’t care, but the fact he has been so crap for so long and now wants out doesn’t bode well for a renaissance.

Some of you have been so desensitised by our shit central midfields over the last 15 years bar a couple of seasons where Dier, Wanyama and Dembele stood up, you have latched onto a non entity and seen a top player because sometimes he turns around instead of passing backwards.

It’s not enough. Nothing he has done is enough, so deserves time or not, is another argument, but please stop clinging to silly little clips of one bit of play in 1000 minutes of game time as proof of anything.

Aurier has outplayed him this season, think about that.

Says the bloke that said he wished we had a team of - shit lazy - footballers like Sissoko.

If everything you've said above is true, Ndombele takes us another 1/11th toward your dream team.

Last edited:

I saw recoba live at the san siro when I was a kid and he was just outstanding, such a wasted talent

He is full of tricks and skill but lacks any kind of desire.

I think he knows he's good at football and he's just trying to coast off that. His style makes him look like playing football is easy for him. I'd love it if he and Mourinho are able to work together because that will benefit us so much in the upcoming season. He's genuinely the first player I look for on the teamsheet.

Back
Top Bottom