Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

0_GettyImages-1294682159.jpg

The more I watch this guy, the more I love his football. A real baller. And his confidence is growing by the day. He is one of the few players in the squad that know how to retain possession and change the pace of a game.

I can see him being a 10-15 goal / 15-20 assist a year player for us in the future.
I said to my boyfriend recently, “You know, we’ve been together for 2 years – I think it’s about time we started talking about the future.”

Then he went, “What, like flying cars and that?”

Comedian Sarah Millican

Last edited:
I always found the premature abuse of this bloke baffling. What is clear is that we have one of the most unique naturally skillful players in world football. I still can believe we got him. He will only get better. We (in my honest opinion) need to let him do what only he can, and things he can't can be left to very many others. I want another highly technically gifted midfield player and we will be able to take down anyone any where.

Last edited:
That's true, but it doesn't fully absolve him of harry7 accusation. A lot of the time he's trying to make risky passes when they're just not on.

He's often falling on his arse, under pressure and he launches a pass without properly assessing the state of play. Just needs to calm it down a bit sometimes, a couple of more baward and sideways passes would help his overall game IMO. A bit like PEH, a few unambitious passes helps to retain possession, and makes pressing him even more frustrating for the opposition.

Blimey, do you want a team of safe sideways passers then? You have to have some creativity in the team to make things happen and he is the only midfielder at the moment who provides that. Even Glenn Hoddle didn’t find his man all the time and how less effective would he have been if he had worried about giving the ball away and stopped his more ambitious passes. To be fair to Ndombele he does his share of simple passes as well so I don’t think you are right with that either.

Blimey, do you want a team of safe sideways passers then?
No. I'm talking about a slight adjustment to the pattern of play. I just think that he's plenty creative, but ocassionally he'd be better served to just lay it off to PEH with his first touch.

Later in the games you see opposition players try to press him a lot more and he does give away the ball a bit. It would be better if he lays it off to PEH/Dier etc so the guy pressing him is more frustrated. Then next time he'll be a little less eager to press, giving Tanguy space and time to turn and find a pass.

This is pretty much how City operate, they're lot aren't any better than Tanguy or PEH.

No. I'm talking about a slight adjustment to the pattern of play. I just think that he's plenty creative, but ocassionally he'd be better served to just lay it off to PEH with his first touch.

Later in the games you see opposition players try to press him a lot more and he does give away the ball a bit. It would be better if he lays it off to PEH/Dier etc so the guy pressing him is more frustrated. Then next time he'll be a little less eager to press, giving Tanguy space and time to turn and find a pass.

This is pretty much how City operate, they're lot aren't any better than Tanguy or PEH.
Not sure what games you eatching but he passes it simple plenty of times. Or have you created this image where Ndombele attempts hollywood passes 95% of the time?

Ndombele attempts hollywood passes 95% of the time?
Nope. But he does hold onto the ball and try to engineer one of those mental dribbles a bit too much. Let's say he plays simple passses 60% of the time and tries to dribble and play an ambitious pass 40% of the time.

I think it should be a bit more 50/50. It's why I think that's why Mou plays him higher up the pitch rather than his former no 8, box to box role.

Last edited by a moderator:
His acceleration looks so much better in this vid

My two cents re this is because in the 8 role he is running at the defence.
It’s one of the disadvantages of playing him in the 10 role - he constantly gets the ball in tight spaces and or with his back to goal.
Also Ligue 1 dosent have quite the same quality re his opposition.

Nope. But he does hold onto the ball and try to engineer one of those mental dribbles a bit too much. Let's say he plays simple passses 60% of the time and tries to dribble and play an ambitious pass 40% of the time.

I think it would be a bit more 50/50. It's why I think Mou plays him higher up the pitch rather than his former no 8, box to box role.
thats why hes knackered after an hour because of the energy that them dribbles take out of him, luckily hes so good he very rarely loses the ball. see a thing with grealish interview and he said about KDB being great etc etc, made a great point that with KDB you never know what hes going to do as he has so much variety to his game. he can play it easy, go on a dribble, or play a hollywood ball. all comes down to football I.Q and knowing what to do and when.

I think it would be a bit more 50/50. It's why I think Mou plays him higher up the pitch rather than his former no 8, box to box role.
I don’t see him dwell on the ball. He passes and moves. Or tries to dribble like you said. He usually pulls those off which gives us advantage as he takes out players. I wouldn’t want him to become a safer player, we already have a lot of midfielders doing that.

I don’t see him dwell on the ball. He passes and moves. Or tries to dribble like you said. He usually pulls those off which gives us advantage as he takes out players. I wouldn’t want him to become a safer player, we already have a lot of midfielders doing that.
I think it slows us down a bit. I don't think it's a big ask, like my issues with his fitness. Anyway, let's agree to disagree, I think it's something Mou will eventuall make him do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom