Team of the last Decade

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And remember when ALL of the squad that appeared individually on Soccer Am over the last few years said Dembele was the best player in the squad (our best squad) and Pochettino compared him to Maradona etc.
Right and you actually think he can be compared to Maradona or was Poch just saying that to boost his confidence?
So Scott Parker was brought in by Redknapp because he was a winner- what did he win?- the Intertoto cup with Newcastle.
It was his attitude that made him a winner.
No comparison for me and to say he was a wasted talent is nonsense. Dembele could defend and attack and he drove us to 3rd, 2nd and 3rd in the league. He was unique.
Did we miss Parker when he left as much as we have missed Dembele?
You're forgetting that he had a number of inconsistant seasons after a very good first season and was nearly sold by Poch at one stage, when he was good, he was very good and a useful utility player to have.

You say he can attack but 7 goals and 7 assists in 181 appearances suggests otherwise.
To put it into perspective Dier has 10 goals and 8 assists in 157 appearances.

Right and you actually think he can be compared to Maradona or was Poch just saying that to boost his confidence?

It was his attitude that made him a winner.

You're forgetting that he had a number of inconsistant seasons after a very good first season and was nearly sold by Poch at one stage, when he was good, he was very good and a useful utility player to have.

You say he can attack but 7 goals and 7 assists in 181 appearances suggests otherwise.
To put it into perspective Dier has 10 goals and 8 assists in 157 appearances.

But Dembele was never about the killer pass. He would glide past players and force the players marking Eriksen and Ali to leave their men and he would then shift it forward onto Eriksen/Ali to provide the killer pass. Statistics can be bullshit. If you think the fact that Dier has more assists than Dembele means he was better at attacking than Dembele then you are way off the mark.

By saying that Poch rated him alongside the likes of Maradona, and as I said the players in our greatest squad rated him the best player in the team I would suggest that that is high praise indeed.

I don’t remember him being inconsistent at all- injury prone towards the end yes.

And besides I don’t see anyone else agreeing that Parker was better than Dembele so I guess you are on your own

But Dembele was never about the killer pass. He would glide past players and force the players marking Eriksen and Ali to leave their men and he would then shift it forward onto Eriksen/Ali to provide the killer pass. Statistics can be bullshit. If you think the fact that Dier has more assists than Dembele means he was better at attacking than Dembele then you are way off the mark.

By saying that Poch rated him alongside the likes of Maradona, and as I said the players in our greatest squad rated him the best player in the team I would suggest that that is high praise indeed.

I don’t remember him being inconsistent at all- injury prone towards the end yes.

And besides I don’t see anyone else agreeing that Parker was better than Dembele so I guess you are on your own
Or they can be the truth. Dembele the great attacker can't score more goals than Dier, A DM.
He certainly can dribble but unlike Maradona they don't result in goals.

But do you think he was as good as Maradona though?

Napoli have made contact with Tottenham about the availability of Mousa Dembele, claim reports in Italy.

The Belgian international has yet to nail down a first-choice place under Mauricio Pochettino and has struggled to maintain any consistency as a result.

And now, according to Tuttosport, Spurs could be tempted to sell the former Fulham man in January if their £10m valuation is met.

Yeah well, lucky for me I don't care about being alone in my opinion.

The ones that got away...

Pletikosa
Fryers - Fazio - Chiriches - Naughton
Stambouli - Holtby - Paulinho
Coulibaly - Saha - Cudicini

Capoue off the bench.

Overall we've not had enough comical dross lately.

Dembele's contribution will never have the stats it deserved. You just had to watch him. He was phenomenal at breaking up play and shifting it. He made the job of every other player in the team easier, that's why everyone who played with him rates him so highly. He should be the first name on this sheet.

Or they can be the truth. Dembele the great attacker can't score more goals than Dier, A DM.
He certainly can dribble but unlike Maradona they don't result in goals.

But do you think he was as good as Maradona though?

Napoli have made contact with Tottenham about the availability of Mousa Dembele, claim reports in Italy.

The Belgian international has yet to nail down a first-choice place under Mauricio Pochettino and has struggled to maintain any consistency as a result.

And now, according to Tuttosport, Spurs could be tempted to sell the former Fulham man in January if their £10m valuation is met.

Yeah well, lucky for me I don't care about being alone in my opinion.

No of course he wasn’t Maradona and I never said that.

Oh so you believe every media report now as if it was fact? If that’s the case then according to the media Spurs must have been linked with 100’s of players in the last few transfer windows - including those windows where we bought zero players.

Anyway as I said nobody agrees with you and you may not care about that but it should tell you that your opinion on this is the stuff of comedy

No of course he wasn’t Maradona and I never said that.

Oh so you believe every media report now as if it was fact? If that’s the case then according to the media Spurs must have been linked with 100’s of players in the last few transfer windows - including those windows where we bought zero players.

Anyway as I said nobody agrees with you and you may not care about that but it should tell you that your opinion on this is the stuff of comedy
Exactly, so Poch saying what he said should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I pulled up one media report there others out there as well, I pulled it out to remind you he was consistent.

An absence of people agreeing or not doesn't really say anything, it could just mean indifference. I'll happily stand by my opinion whether people think it's comedy or not.
I'm not looking for approval of my views.

Exactly, so Poch saying what he said should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I pulled up one media report there others out there as well, I pulled it out to remind you he was consistent.

An absence of people agreeing or not doesn't really say anything, it could just mean indifference. I'll happily stand by my opinion whether people think it's comedy or not.
I'm not looking for approval of my views.

Just as well cos you are unlikely to get any approval. I say it again Parker better than Dembele?
As Brian Glover would say if still alive “That’s enough!”
You needn’t reply

Just as well cos you are unlikely to get any approval. I say it again Parker better than Dembele?
As Brian Glover would say if still alive “That’s enough!”
You needn’t reply

Yep Parker over Dembele as a DM which is really my primary point. We didn't buy Dembele for him to become a DM.

Yep Parker over Dembele as a DM which is really my primary point. We didn't buy Dembele for him to become a DM.

What does it matter what position we bought him for. Plenty of players have changed position for Spurs - Bale, King, Mabbutt, Stewart all spring to mind. Anyway don’t want to go around in circles anymore. You are entitled to your opinion however daft

Back
Top Bottom