Team Poch? Team Jose? The in-betweeners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I lost interest when it started talking about how we have sacrificed free flowing, attacking football with Mourinho.
The last year under Poch was awful at times. The relentless sideways passing wasn't free flowing at all, it was safety first, low risk football. Don't give it away and any cost.
Then we talk about Mourinho as if he's George Graham. Mourinho has always used what he has at his disposal. If he had a team with flaws he'd find a way to work around it. If they had a shit defence, he'd fortify it at the expense of attack.
Let's not ignore the fact his Chelsea team first time around set all sorts of points and goals records. The likes of Robben, Dunn, Drogba and Lampard used to score for fun and when we weren't on the end of it, they were exciting.

I agree with the premise that Jose deserves - at least - one full season. But it's a obvious premise. It shouldn't be Team Poch vs Team Jose.

Comparing the two is necessarily unfair and by doing it you are already picking a side. Poch wrote a fantastic history with the club while there wasn't enough time for Jose to write anything of his own - yet. Forget about "early signs of good football". Jose wasn't training this team. It's still not "his team" at all.

So in the end this is a very nice piece, but it's not "middle ground" in my view. It's "Team Poch" - just not radically "Team Poch". Truthful and complete about the argentinian, and - sorry to say - superficial about Mou.

Last edited:
I lost interest when it started talking about how we have sacrificed free flowing, attacking football

For me there's an irony to this notion, as my fondest recollections of Poch's team at it's peak was them being powerful, aggressive and overwhelming teams... Not that we'd play some pretty rendition of Wenger-ball.

When the pressing eased and the passing-rate increased, that's when we began to be less effective.

One of Pochettino's biggest strengths was his loyalty and passion for his players Mousa Dembele

Fixed it for you.

Just for context..

Tottenhams win record under Pochettino without Dembele starting (2014-2019)

P: 138
W: 83
D: 24
L: 31
Win percentage without: 60%

Worth noting that 10 of those losses were in cups. So we lost 21 games in the league that Dembele didn't start across 2014-2019.

Tottenhams win record under Pochettino with Dembele starting (2014-19)

P: 114
W: 60
D: 28
L: 26
Win percentage with: 53%

Worth noting that 10 of those losses came in cup competitions. So we only lost 16 league games between 2014 and 2019 when Dembele started.

Tottenhams win record under Pochettino since Dembele left and no longer in squad from when sold to Pochs sacking (Jan 19-Nov 19)

P: 42
W: 16
D: 9
L: 17
Win percentage: 38%

Just for context..

Tottenhams win record under Pochettino without Dembele starting (2014-2019)

P: 138
W: 83
D: 24
L: 31
Win percentage without: 60%

Worth noting that 10 of those losses were in cups. So we lost 21 games in the league that Dembele didn't start across 2014-2019.

Tottenhams win record under Pochettino with Dembele starting (2014-19)

P: 114
W: 60
D: 28
L: 26
Win percentage with: 53%

Worth noting that 10 of those losses came in cup competitions. So we only lost 16 league games between 2014 and 2019 when Dembele started.

Tottenhams win record under Pochettino since Dembele left and no longer in squad from when sold to Pochs sacking (Jan 19-Nov 19)

P: 42
W: 16
D: 9
L: 17
Win percentage: 38%

Poch choice of replacement :Winks / Sissoko (Not his best position) /Ndombele (not his best position)

Mourinho choice of replacement: Dier

Some fans on here: Skipp.

Not one of these players comes close to Moussa imho.
Phenomenal at retaining possession and creating space while under pressure. Don’t think Poch ever really recovered from not having him as an option in the squad. But needed to go. age had caught up with him

Poch choice of replacement :Winks / Sissoko (Not his best position) /Ndombele (not his best position)

Mourinho choice of replacement: Dier

Some fans on here: Skipp.

Not one of these players comes close to Moussa imho.

Dembele played NEXT to a DM (either Dier or Wanyama); he was the #8.

Phenomenal at retaining possession and creating space while under pressure. Don’t think Poch ever really recovered from not having him as an option in the squad. But needed to go. age had caught up with him

I don't disagree with his qualities, but look closer at the numbers.... We won more without him than with him.

Pochettino for me embodied more than just a manager, a genuine role model on how to conduct yourself in the real world

RFOk.gif

Dembele played NEXT to a DM (either Dier or Wanyama); he was the #8.

I don't disagree with his qualities, but look closer at the numbers.... We won more without him than with him.

Whilst we did. Percentages could be skewed by losing or drawing cup fixtures, especially in the likes of the Europa League which we never really took seriously under Poch.

On average we'd lose less league games a season with Dembele but only one or two less a season.

Whilst we did. Percentages could be skewed by losing or drawing cup fixtures, especially in the likes of the Europa League which we never really took seriously under Poch.

On average we'd lose less league games a season with Dembele but only one or two less a season.

I get it; it's not my point to undermine what he brought to us after that weird time when he was being played on the wing from the bench to close games out.

If my aim was to be a smart arse tho', I'd point out that; rather than focusing on the losses, if we'd have bagged a few more wins instead of draws in those starts we'd maybe have a league title in the cabinet. : P

If Ndombele is not a DM and playing the 'Dembele' role is not his best position - where is he supposed to play? In goal?

Up top we have Alli, Son, GLC and Kane. He doesn't fit into any of those positions either.

Everyone seemed desperate to bring Ndom in, but now he is here; we keep hearing 'it's not his best position'. We didn't spend 65m on a squad player did we?

If Ndombele is not a DM and playing the 'Dembele' role is not his best position - where is he supposed to play? In goal?

Up top we have Alli, Son, GLC and Kane. He doesn't fit into any of those positions either.

Everyone seemed desperate to bring Ndom in, but now he is here; we keep hearing 'it's not his best position'. We didn't spend 65m on a squad player did we?

Just based on what I have seen.

His fitness or lack of hasn’t helped but he seems much more attack minded than defensive minded. Maybe better with a solid DM next to him in a 2 rather than being a lone holding midfielder?

What’s your opinion of him and his work off the ball?

Just based on what I have seen.

His fitness or lack of hasn’t helped but he seems much more attack minded than defensive minded. Maybe better with a solid DM next to him in a 2 rather than being a lone holding midfielder?

What’s your opinion of him and his work off the ball?

To be honest; I have not seen a lot of him playing. From what I have seen; he certainly has the ability to win the ball in the defensive 3rd and drive it forwards - which is on par with how Dembele played. He seems very direct in his forward passing which I think will benefit Son/Moura immensely.

What seems to be lacking is his discipline when the opposition has the ball. He seems to be ball watching and leaving gaps. This could be that he is not up to speed with his role in the team. I'm not sure I buy that he is lazy - he would not have progressed to this level if he was.

I would certainly expect to see him fully fit when we get back playing. However, it may still be quite some time until he is on the same page as our squad.

A 2CM consists of a #6 & #8..... Typically #6 is the DEFENSIVE midfielder. Ndombele is the #8.

Dembele was #8 too

Amazing how after it being the common system of play for decades people still struggle with this, yet still throw their weight around in discussions about our play, who we should buy etc.

A 2CM consists of a #6 & #8..... Typically #6 is the DEFENSIVE midfielder. Ndombele is the #8.

Dembele was #8 too

Amazing how after it being the common system of play for decades people still struggle with this, yet still throw their weight around in discussions about our play, who we should buy etc.

The majority of the time we had moussa we played 4-2-3-1. Last couple of seasons - especially without him - the diamond shape came into play more 4-3-2-1. I think to allow for the loss of moussa.

Going forwards could Ndombele play in a 4–2-3-1? I think this would suit him best but really need the other player in the “2” to be a better defensive player than we currently have. Which is probably Dier. Who doesn’t like* playing there. (*knows he can’t)

A proper DM really is hurting us and making our entire midfield lopsided.

Winks and Sissoko are more box to box ball carriers. Gio can operate as a deep lying playmaker (and out on the wings or as a 10) whilst Ndombele is a mix of both. But we lack a proper screener. A Gattusso or Casemiro.

Back
Top Bottom