Testimonials/benefit games!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably a thing of the past in regards big clubs with players not at clubs long enough and modern day wages players look after themselves financially without the need of a testimonial or benefit match! They possibly still take place in the lower leagues? But who was last the last Tottenham player to get a benefit match was it Ledley King? and before that.........? Greaves had one,Blanchflower,MacKay.....Bill Nic.

Probably a thing of the past in regards big clubs with players not at clubs long enough and modern day wages players look after themselves financially without the need of a testimonial or benefit match! They possibly still take place in the lower leagues? But who was last the last Tottenham player to get a benefit match was it Ledley King? and before that.........? Greaves had one,Blanchflower,MacKay.....Bill Nic.
Stevie!

Was he the last?
sorry, being facetious. Sad fact is that not many players complete 10 years' service, which I believe is the criteria. Gary Mabbutt had one, against Newcastle. To our shame, the Toon Army outsang us and I got sunburnt. Can't remember any others after that.

Last edited:
I went to one for Sir Bill when he was still alive.

Think it was against Fiorentina, not sure though, the 90,s were quite hazy

Edit , so hazy I thought they lasted 11years, it was 2001

Might be of interest to some, Ronnie Henry, ex Spurs youth and Stevenage legend, has just had one announced,

Ronnie Henry Testimonial Announced

Generally it's a thing of the past - from an era where players didn't earn as much and this was a thank you to set them up for retirement I feel. In the lower leagues it still happens, and obviously good to see higher profiles get one and give the funds to charity.

Went to Ledleys which was class. For some reason I didn't go to Mabbutt's and I have regretted it ever since. Was missing for Bill Nichs game too, not sure where.

I did go to this when Spurs put a strong team out at Orient for Steve Castle but doubt this would happen today sadly BBC SPORT | TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR | Strong Spurs sink Orient

Bill Nick was actually awarded two testimonial matches. The one against Fiorentina that has been mentioned in 2001 & he had one against Wet Spam in 1983. There was a legends game before the main event. I distinctly remember seeing Jimmy Greaves & Alan Gilzean (RIP) playing up front together

Might be of interest to some, Ronnie Henry, ex Spurs youth and Stevenage legend, has just had one announced,

Generally it's a thing of the past - from an era where players didn't earn as much and this was a thank you to set them up for retirement I feel. In the lower leagues it still happens, and obviously good to see higher profiles get one and give the funds to charity.
That's our Ron Henry's Grandson, innit?

Would be amazing for a decent 'Spurs turnout' for this...

Ronnie Henry Testimonial Announced

Went to Ledleys which was class. For some reason I didn't go to Mabbutt's and I have regretted it ever since. Was missing for Bill Nichs game too, not sure where.

I did go to this when Spurs put a strong team out at Orient for Steve Castle but doubt this would happen today sadly BBC SPORT | TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR | Strong Spurs sink Orient
One for the history books - a Rebrov goal! What a disappointing signing he turned out to be.

If a top player was to stay long enough and be granted a testimonial match they would probably donate the gate receipts to charity.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm trying to put together a record of testimonials for my database. So far I have quite a few, but am missing the scores for a bunch of them.

If anyone knows the scores or any testimonials I'm missing, please let me know!

You can see what I have here: Match Finder | THFCDB

Back
Top Bottom