The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll never understand why anyone would want to travel to this mess of country and be part of this shitshow

You couldn't pay me enough money to be there

Wow, could listen to her all day.

Very pleasant and on point.
Actually, thinking about it, Infantino might be even worse than his predecessors.

He’s had the opportunity and years to move the World Cup away from Qatar given the blatant bribery and human rights issues but he has refused to. He’s basically said that FIFA is more than open to doing business with the worst as long as the price is right. Fuck him.

Apologies if already posted, but this made me chuckle.

mnDUYg0.jpg

World Cup 2022: Gary Lineker in Qatar to 'report, not support' controversial tournament​

Last updated 40 minutes ago
Gary Lineker says he is in Qatar to "report, not support" the World Cup and will discuss the issues surrounding the "tainted" tournament on air.

The host nation has been criticised for its stance on same-sex relationships, its human rights record and treatment of migrant workers.

Lineker said there was a "queasy feeling" surrounding the tournament.

"This is our job to come and report it and show people what it's about at home and hopefully in a fair way," he said.

Speaking to BBC sports editor Dan Roan, Match of the Day presenter Lineker said: "There are significant issues around this World Cup, obviously with human rights issues, what has happened with the building of the stadiums and workers' rights and homophobia and various things they have here.

"I am accustomed to it as I've spent most of my life in the build-up to World Cups talking about issues other than football, but when the football starts you tend to stop talking about it. But that is how sportswashing works so you have to be careful."

Qatar has been accused of sportswashing - the act of using sport to improve reputation and project a positive image of a country - but World Cup organisers have promised openness and inclusivity.

Referring to Russia's invasion of Crimea before the last World Cup in 2018, former England captain Lineker added: "I felt we were sportswashed in Russia. I don't think the world stood up about what had happened in Crimea and I include ourselves in that.

"It didn't seem like the world objected as much as they have done about Russia invading Ukraine. You learn lessons. This is where the World Cup is. It's here and we are here to report the World Cup and not support it. We will raise the issues and talk about them.

"Whether that makes any change here, I suspect it won't, but I think it's important to talk about the various issues going on, as well as the football."
He's taken his pieces of silver and no amount of "We're only here to report what's going on" is going to change the fact that they've all sold out to cold hard cash.

Tossers the lot of them.

How much money is "enough"

And as for Beckham.... Horrible decision he's made just to add another zero to the already huge bank balance.

Last edited:
I like pretty much all the yanks on here but listen to this and listen carefully

We’re going to Fuck you in your brisket eating shit sport playing coke drinking country music making gun having anuses

Bye

Pathetic backing down.

I would rather they all get a yellow card or sent off the pitch than backing down to homophobic religious dictatorships.

And we wonder why the West is crumbling, backing down to blood money and ignorant caveman outdated thinking for a slice of the money pie.

Greed > everything.

Our players who have chosen to endorse this murderous fête, should we terminate their contracts? The alternative is to say that Tottenham is synonymous with the hate and death of the Qatari regime and the corruption of FIFA. Of course, we can see the English psyche already rationalising the truth and getting into full swing 'it's coming home' spirit like the ordinary men of nazi Germany transmuting into killers, but Tottenham is an international club with certain values above those of the dark English nationalists. We can do better. Let's start by sacking these horrible cunts who want to stick their heads in the sand and follow their egos to Qatar.
It’s easy to oppose a World Cup when you’re scottish, never a chance in a million of you getting there

Watching Shearer criticise the Qatari human rights record., Does anyone know if he's been as outspoken in criticising the Saudi backed takeover of Newcastle?

Honestly, pathetic. From all involved.

Whoever wins this WC it will be tarnished, even the most trivial, token gesture of respect for human rights has been defeated by FIFA and the feeble players and FAs.

It would have been an iconic moment if Kane had been sent off at the first whistle for wearing the rainbow armband. It would have meant far more than actually winning this sordid trophy.

Back
Top Bottom