The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How is it "spreading the sport" when no cunt goes to watch it?

It's the same when F1 etc. is held in the Middle East. There is no demand for it from the public there, it's simply about money to those in charge of the sports and soft power to the nations hosting it.

Dire in Doha: world championships ‘catastrophe’ leaves athletics reeling

I thought those lily livered progressively fascist liberals at the Manchester guardian were long sighted? I think this whole Qatar thing and what it really means in terms of how sport is presented to us has gone completely over most people’s heads. Too hot.. too far... how will people get there? Tut tut.

The current world championships and its lack of spectators should be an eye opener to the fact that an audience of “real in the flesh” spectators is the least of the organisers concerns- the only audience that matters is the fee paying TV audience and that’s pretty much the game;It won’t matter what continent near or far the WC or indeed the olympics is hosted on so long as the television cameras make it there!

I thought those lily livered progressively fascist liberals at the Manchester guardian were long sighted? I think this whole Qatar thing and what it really means in terms of how sport is presented to us has gone completely over most people’s heads. Too hot.. too far... how will people get there? Tut tut.

The current world championships and its lack of spectators should be an eye opener to the fact that an audience of “real in the flesh” spectators is the least of the organisers concerns- the only audience that matters is the fee paying TV audience and that’s pretty much the game;It won’t matter what continent near or far the WC or indeed the olympics is hosted on so long as the television cameras make it there!
You are giving too much credit... It's the wheelbarrow of cash they pay (above and under the counter) not the TV audience driving it.

You are giving too much credit... It's the wheelbarrow of cash they pay (above and under the counter) not the TV audience driving it.

Well quite clearly the point I made has gone right over your head just as it has this journos at the guardian as stated.Oh well, never mind as you’ll catch on soon enough!

No,the point was incidental rather than the plan. It's alright to admit your wrong, people won't judge you for it.

Put a sock in it RUSEX you don’t have s Scooby. If you could see the woods for the sake of the trees in front of you,you’d know the Bobby! :roseunsure:

Actually infuriates me when you hear the old “we’re trying to spread the sport”

All you’re trying to do is line your pockets
I agree that something as grand as the World Champs shouldn't be held there. It's a little less scandalous with Athletics as Doha has had a major meet every year since the mid-90's. Difference being, the rest of the Gulf nations had citizens attending. Not anymore since Saudi flexed their muscles.

Inevitable that the World Athletics in Doha wouldn't attract massive crowds but think there is a bit of a case of people forgetting the norm. London 2017 was exceptional for attendance, people still buzzing off the Olympics and the impact of Bolt / Farrah etc. It's definitely common to see empty stadiums in athletics, especially for midweek heat sessions. The stadium was there and has hosted lots of meets before.

Also - a bit devils advocate - finding the heat arguments a little bit jarring from athletes. They've done what they can to air condition the stadium, start the road events late. Ultimately it's the WORLD Championships - not all of them can be in oceanic climates.

The football there can go to fuck though - ruining the global calendar for 3 seasons having bidded on a lie, building a dozen needless stadiums, migrant workers dying every day. That was corruption on the most horrible scale.

WC tournament, being held from 21 November to 18 December 2022.

PL season would kick off one week earlier and finish a week later to accommodate the tournament (ie extra 2 weeks of PL season to accommodate a 4 week WC in the middle of it).

Where do I begin ?

Arresting pretty much all the FIFA hierarchy for the last 5 years and charge them with corruption and/or conspiracy to permit corruption would be a start.

And I wouldn't bother with a trial, its such a blatantly corrupt WC award, it would waste everyone's time and money in convicting them ! Just jail them - and take back all the monies/assets they have made from corruption.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom