The 1901 Cup Final

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

this kind of thinking reminds me of the Australian cricket teams followers , the fanatics ,
just because i didn't want to go to Bangladesh i was deemed a fair weather fan , even
though i had been to India x 2 , Sri Lanka , West Indies x 2 , England x 2 , Sth Africa , NZ , 3 world cups ,
miss one tour and you are a pariah

One of Sheff Utd's goals was controversial as most people, except the ref and Sheff Utd, thought the ball had not crossed the line. The goal line technology of the day shows we were robbed.

1901.png

Hi Can anyone tell me if the ball used in the 1901 Cup final still exists, i have read that it has been donated to the club museum by John Kirwan`s family quite recently. i would like to get a photo of it if i can. Thanks

I am currently writing, along with a couple of friends of mine a book about Tottenham`s momentous victory over Sheffield Utd in the 1901 F A Cup Final.
I have amassed quite a lot of memorabilia over the years relating to the final, including privately taken and unpublished photos of crowd scenes taken at the Crystal Palace, these, plus the other stuff I have, made up my mind that a book could be written .I want the book to be as detailed as possible, we are also covering the cup run of both Spurs and United and the celebratory banquet held in the October following.
Does anybody have any memorabilia that could be used by us and be included in the book, I am particularly looking for an In Memoriam card or funeral card it was also called which were sold in great numbers at the time, i know items from this final are very scarce, but don`t want anything left out if it still exists.

I assume you have spoken to Spurs? There's a guy tasked with sourcing memorabilia for the museum in the new stadium.

I am currently writing, along with a couple of friends of mine a book about Tottenham`s momentous victory over Sheffield Utd in the 1901 F A Cup Final.
I have amassed quite a lot of memorabilia over the years relating to the final, including privately taken and unpublished photos of crowd scenes taken at the Crystal Palace, these, plus the other stuff I have, made up my mind that a book could be written .I want the book to be as detailed as possible, we are also covering the cup run of both Spurs and United and the celebratory banquet held in the October following.
Does anybody have any memorabilia that could be used by us and be included in the book, I am particularly looking for an In Memoriam card or funeral card it was also called which were sold in great numbers at the time, i know items from this final are very scarce, but don`t want anything left out if it still exists.
Worth contacting this chap?

Thanks guys for your replies, its really appreciated.

Regarding doing a book, I first contacted the late Andy Porter, whom I had established a contact many years ago, he put me in contact with Bob Goodwin who has written books on Spurs but he only wanted to do an ebook, which didn`t appeal to me, he then told me to contact John Fennelly who was the new club historian, he told the club didn`t have any archives or memorabilia going back that far, all he had was the stuff produced for the centenary dinner in 2001, so basically the club weren`t able to help me in my research, this is why I am trying to find out if there is anything out there that Tottenham fans might have in their possession, I know it`s a long shot, but once the book is done it will be too late to include anything that may come to light when it is finished.

Could you give me the name of the guy that has been asked to source stuff for the club museum, I don`t believe Spurs have a museum at White Hart Lane at the moment, so that`s great news the club are thinking of their past.

Regarding the National Football collection, I know the owner of that, and the only 1901 item he has is Sandy Tait`s winners medal I believe.

Thanks guys for your replies, its really appreciated.

Regarding doing a book, I first contacted the late Andy Porter, whom I had established a contact many years ago, he put me in contact with Bob Goodwin who has written books on Spurs but he only wanted to do an ebook, which didn`t appeal to me, he then told me to contact John Fennelly who was the new club historian, he told the club didn`t have any archives or memorabilia going back that far, all he had was the stuff produced for the centenary dinner in 2001, so basically the club weren`t able to help me in my research, this is why I am trying to find out if there is anything out there that Tottenham fans might have in their possession, I know it`s a long shot, but once the book is done it will be too late to include anything that may come to light when it is finished.

Could you give me the name of the guy that has been asked to source stuff for the club museum, I don`t believe Spurs have a museum at White Hart Lane at the moment, so that`s great news the club are thinking of their past.

Regarding the National Football collection, I know the owner of that, and the only 1901 item he has is Sandy Tait`s winners medal I believe.
Can't do any harm in contacting the wonderful Morris Keston (twitter @morriskeston) he did have a huge collection of memorabilia (that he has been selling off) but think most of it was around the double side but you never know. If not he might be able to point you in the direction of someone. A stab in the dark but Chris Cowlin (Twitter @chriscowlin) is a collector of Spurs stuff. He has written a billion Spurs quiz books.

Back
Top Bottom