The Case for Steven Gerrard

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do think Steven Gerrard will be a great manager, and I think he's done really well at Rangers but he is clearly wanting the Liverpool job so I don't think he'd really give a damm about us.

baby no GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Please read before dismissing!

I've made no bones about my desire for him to be manager, so here, I lay out my case:

Time at Rangers
Gerrard took over at the start of the 2018-19 season. Points differences between Celtic and Rangers over the seasons:

2017-18 - Celtic 12 pts
Gerrard joins
2018-19 - Celtic 9 pts
2019-20 - Celtic 13 pts* (having played 1 game fewer)
2020-21 - Rangers 20 pts ahead with 3 games to go

Furthermore, in the few years before he joined, these had been some of the results in the Old Firm:

Celtic 5-0 Rangers
Celtic 4-0 Rangers
Rangers 1-5 Celtic
Celtic 5-1 Rangers

Since he joined, Rangers' heaviest defeat to Celtic has been 2-0. His record v Celtic has been:

P 11
W 6
D 1
L 4

Put simply, he has taken a club that had developed a massive inferiority complex v their rivals to getting the better of them, beating them in games and beating them to the title.

Furthermore, he took Rangers into the last 16 of the EL. Neither Celtic nor Rangers usually gets out of the group stage.

Outsized Impact as a Player
Gerrard won almost every trophy going in his career, despite not being as lucky as Lampard - or other players with whom he is often compared - to be surrounded by other world class players for most of it.

2005 CL final - scores the crucial goal v Olympiakos; scores 2 in the final to get Lpool over the line
2006 FA Cup final - scores 2 worldies, including one in injury time, to drag the game into ET and eventually pens; he scores his pen (of course) in the shootout. Lpool win the FA Cup
2007 CL SF - scores in the shootout
2008 CL QF - scores a late penalty to knock out Woolwich
2009 PL - the main engine behind Lpool's first title challenge in years
2014 PL - will always be remembered for the slip, but without him, Lpool would not have been close.

In the Gerrard v Lampard v Scholes debate, it is Gerrard 10/10 for me.

Put is this way, if you replace Lampard with Gerrard in that Chelsea team from 2005 to 15, do Chelsea win just as many, if not more, trophies? YES.

If you replace Scholes with Gerrard in the Man U team from 2000 to 2012, do United win just as many, if not more, trophies? YES

If you replace Gerrard with Scholes or Lampard from 2001 to 2015, do Liverpool win as many trophies? NO

The greats of football lift those around them to heights thought impossible (it's why Maradona will always, always, always be regarded more highly, especially in Argentina, than Messi), and Gerrard is one such football great.

Ruthlessness
Our club is full of babies. As per the Athletic article: they moaned that Mourinho didn't train them hard enough; they moaned that Poch trained them too hard.

They've seen off the best manager in our modern history and a manager, whatever his flaws, who won a title as recently as 6 years ago and a European trophy just 4 years ago.

Many things need to change at the club, and the players are one of them, and I believe Gerrard wouldn't tolerate losers and babies like Rose, Winks and Dele, and he'd look to move on trash like Sissoko, Aurier, Sanchez and Davies.

Look at him here from 7:44:

This was in his first few months at Rangers. He set the tone and the standard, and although at the time, some said he was a bull in a china shop... who questions him now?

---

So, that's my case in a nutshell.

tl;dr we need a winner who will change the mentality of the club, and I believe Steve Gerrard is the man.

Nope.
Only 2 possible outcomes

He's shit.
He succeeds and fucks off to Liverpool

He is surely going to stay with Rangers until the Liverpool job becomes available. He's on to a great thing at Rangers and Liverpool would be the love of his life, he'd never refuse them. From his point of view, there'd be no point taking the Spurs job.

I think he's a shoo-in when Klopp goes. In which case, Liverpool will probably struggle while he gets to grips with managing in the Prem.

Why on earth would we help Liverpool by allowing him to get to grips with the Prem with us? There is absolutely no upside for us.

Please read before dismissing!

I've made no bones about my desire for him to be manager, so here, I lay out my case:

Time at Rangers
Gerrard took over at the start of the 2018-19 season. Points differences between Celtic and Rangers over the seasons:

2017-18 - Celtic 12 pts
Gerrard joins
2018-19 - Celtic 9 pts
2019-20 - Celtic 13 pts* (having played 1 game fewer)
2020-21 - Rangers 20 pts ahead with 3 games to go

Furthermore, in the few years before he joined, these had been some of the results in the Old Firm:

Celtic 5-0 Rangers
Celtic 4-0 Rangers
Rangers 1-5 Celtic
Celtic 5-1 Rangers

Since he joined, Rangers' heaviest defeat to Celtic has been 2-0. His record v Celtic has been:

P 11
W 6
D 1
L 4

Put simply, he has taken a club that had developed a massive inferiority complex v their rivals to getting the better of them, beating them in games and beating them to the title.

Furthermore, he took Rangers into the last 16 of the EL. Neither Celtic nor Rangers usually gets out of the group stage.

Outsized Impact as a Player
Gerrard won almost every trophy going in his career, despite not being as lucky as Lampard - or other players with whom he is often compared - to be surrounded by other world class players for most of it.

2005 CL final - scores the crucial goal v Olympiakos; scores 2 in the final to get Lpool over the line
2006 FA Cup final - scores 2 worldies, including one in injury time, to drag the game into ET and eventually pens; he scores his pen (of course) in the shootout. Lpool win the FA Cup
2007 CL SF - scores in the shootout
2008 CL QF - scores a late penalty to knock out Woolwich
2009 PL - the main engine behind Lpool's first title challenge in years
2014 PL - will always be remembered for the slip, but without him, Lpool would not have been close.

In the Gerrard v Lampard v Scholes debate, it is Gerrard 10/10 for me.

Put is this way, if you replace Lampard with Gerrard in that Chelsea team from 2005 to 15, do Chelsea win just as many, if not more, trophies? YES.

If you replace Scholes with Gerrard in the Man U team from 2000 to 2012, do United win just as many, if not more, trophies? YES

If you replace Gerrard with Scholes or Lampard from 2001 to 2015, do Liverpool win as many trophies? NO

The greats of football lift those around them to heights thought impossible (it's why Maradona will always, always, always be regarded more highly, especially in Argentina, than Messi), and Gerrard is one such football great.

Ruthlessness
Our club is full of babies. As per the Athletic article: they moaned that Mourinho didn't train them hard enough; they moaned that Poch trained them too hard.

They've seen off the best manager in our modern history and a manager, whatever his flaws, who won a title as recently as 6 years ago and a European trophy just 4 years ago.

Many things need to change at the club, and the players are one of them, and I believe Gerrard wouldn't tolerate losers and babies like Rose, Winks and Dele, and he'd look to move on trash like Sissoko, Aurier, Sanchez and Davies.

Look at him here from 7:44:

This was in his first few months at Rangers. He set the tone and the standard, and although at the time, some said he was a bull in a china shop... who questions him now?

---

So, that's my case in a nutshell.

tl;dr we need a winner who will change the mentality of the club, and I believe Steve Gerrard is the man.

He’s done a great job at Rangers and held his own in Europe with them, actually a tad unlucky to not be still in Europe...
But the flip flop with Celtic has a lot to do with Celtic regressing massively over the past few seasons (sound familiar) with an ever ageing squad in need of serious investment, and Gerrard picking up some really good/smart players since he took over...
So maybe 60% Gerrard impact and 40% Celtic regressing...??
His cup record is surprisingly bad up there, in years gone by an already Champions Rangers team beats St Johnstone easily yesterday and has a complete party at Hampden Park at the end of May but they constantly fuck the domestic cups up every year......

I like Gerrard, I think he’s a good manager, but as some have said already we would only be giving him work experience in the Premier League for Liverpool.....

Why is this a separate thread? There is plenty of space in the two threads already going on managerial options to discuss the merits and otherwise of appointing Sir Slips-a-lot.

He’d dump us for the dippers at the earliest opportunity

Plus you can’t judge a manager based on their performance in the Scottish league, it’s a joke of a competition

A no for me

There is no case to be made for Gerard.

He's been a manager for 5 mins in one of the worst leagues in European football. IF in 3-4 years time he's ready for the PL, it won't be us he looks towards, it'll be his beloved Liverpool.

Back
Top Bottom